The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip...

Some scientists believe, as medical treatments advance, that by eliminating diseases like cancer or conditions like stroke, we could reach a theoretical upper limit of 150 years of age. ...snip...

have a great Thursday!

iD

One: Wasn't the Admiral in Star Drek (Cap'n Jerk's boss) around 125 or so?

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... Imagine that, being retired for longer than you actually worked (that would upset the social applecart and make no mistake).

have a great Thursday!

iD

Two: Not really, the "powers that be" would just keep increasing the retirement age, as has been done here with Social Security. Just think, you will have to work for a hundred years before you can retire! :(

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...snip... Anyway if these attacks from a supposedly neutral corner continue It could end up as Compounds vs panniers at dawn, with Dave H as referee via Zoom.

Jamie

Nah, straight electrics will take you both out! :yahoo_mini:

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Having spent some time in Shrewsbury, I refer to my previous comments on wayward trolleys in the Dingle as evidence m'lord, I wonder whether HH's comments may not be taken entirely at face value.

But good news that Mr Hunt is classed as 'walking wounded' and not requiring the services of his fellow sky botherers in the form of an air ambulance for his transfer.

From an itinerant gardener.

it's only 8 miles from Shrewsbury to RAF Shawbury where they train those with the fans above their heads,  I'm sure they could have assisted..

Not a place to be on guard.. One of the coldest places in the UK RAF Shawbury recorded -25.2C... They say fan will cool you down..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning all,

(Well it was when I tryped the above words).  Good news about about Dave Hunt by teh sound of things but clearly still in the woods so i wsh him well for the upcoming procedures.

Now this age thing - well Flavio this reproduction at a very youthful age isn't entirely gone in certain part of Britain,  A few years back there was a report from a particular part of Reading about a woman in her late 40s who had just become a grandmother and her own mother was still very much alive and kicking.  So it hasn't all moved on from ancient times and I bet that Reading isn't the only place 'blessed ' with such youthful grannies and teenage mothers.

As far as pensions are concerned my drawing of my BR pension is coming up towards two thirds of the years I spent paying in for my BR pension.  I will have to live a very long time to equate the years spent drawing my state pension with the years over which I'll be paid into it.  But my second employment pension is now in 'profit' as I worked for the company for 6 six years and am currently in my 8th year of drawing my 13 quid a week pension - not bad for what is nowadays referred to as a zero hours contract job.

We are forecast a deluge (of rain, not frogs) for this afternoon which will probably coincide with my perambulation to & from the chiropractor so I might use motorised transport if it's really wet.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

I also see insurance for people working at home becoming more "interesting".

Things are a changing. 

My employer has already announced that 50% of staff in the mother ship will be permanently home based. In the UK they've been slowly closing offices as leases come up. On and off I've been home based 6 of the last 10 years. The other 4 were unofficial and mostly at home with only client visits. They closed my "office" last October. 

SWMBO's work was looking for new larger space to merge all their London offices into one site. They've cancelled that and will just keep the biggest office as they've decided on rolling out a hot desk and work from home as much as practical policy. Sadly for her, she can't do half of her job remotely so will eventually be returning to the commuter scene. 

No additional insurance needed. My standard policy covers a home office and any company owned equipment is covered by them. I just have to do an annual workplace assessment to show that my environment is up to health and well being practices. 

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

No additional insurance needed. My standard policy covers a home office and any company owned equipment is covered by them. I just have to do an annual workplace assessment to show that my environment is up to health and well being practices. 

Covers it at the moment, I agree, but I'm looking for the next set of exclusions.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

Covers it at the moment, I agree, but I'm looking for the next set of exclusions.

It would be strange but not unheard of. As I said, I've been home based for most of the past 10 years. In all that time I've declared a home office and actually lowers the policy cost as there is someone in the house all day. I can see companies jumping on the "rip off Britain" bandwagon to offer unnecessary home worker insurance though. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

A friend had his car insurance put UP because He moved onto an RAF camp... They said it wasn't secure....Armed guards on the gate,   barbed wire....

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

It would be strange but not unheard of. As I said, I've been home based for most of the past 10 years. In all that time I've declared a home office and actually lowers the policy cost as there is someone in the house all day. I can see companies jumping on the "rip off Britain" bandwagon to offer unnecessary home worker insurance though. 

It depends on the type of work you are doing from home.

I was able to claim home office space  as a tax benefit and with no change to the insurance.

However, when the Obergrumpenfuhrer was running her clinical hypnotherapy business from home, we needed a different type of home insurance because clients were required to visit the house.  This insurance was in addition to the usual professional  liability insurance she was also required to hold.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 19

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

A friend had his car insurance put UP because He moved onto an RAF camp... They said it wasn't secure....Armed guards on the gate,   barbed wire....

When we moved here 12 years ago, we went from an SE to a DA postcode. That dropped my insurance by 50% even though we are only about 200m from SE18 which would have raised our rate if we'd bought literally down the street. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Insurance is unfortunately a racket as it is a legal requirement they have you over the proverbial barrel 

(Which is better than being in the barrel which is another joke completely).

In our town a couple of office blocks have already been converted to flats, the only problem is there isnt any parking 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The big thing was the invention of writing, before then you had to remember everything and then pass it on without corruption. Once writing was invented Knowledge could be stored and those with access could start from there without relearning it the hard way..  Now (almost) everyone has access to everything, development should speed up..

However facefart e.t.c. seems to say otherwise.

Recorded or not, it is the correct knowledge you need to prosper.

If you have the wrong stuff written down you potentially go off the rails that much more efficiently. While relatively few could read, a good example is that the educated medical professionals did a lot for 'survival of the fittest' by following Aristotle's wonky notions, until a few pioneers introduced treatments with some basis in empirical evidence, despite being initially ridiculed. And as reading became universal, such invaluable tomes as Das Kapital and Mein Kampf, were yet more effective conductors to disaster...

What with 'everyman' now an author, we cannot expect what is in writing to be significantly superior to what was previously produced. Doubt everything, and test all novelty thoroughly.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Second shot at posting as router seems to be a bit hit and miss today - must know that it's being replaced next week when my new fibre broadband is provided.

Get well soon message to Dave, and warmest generic greetings to all fellow ERs.

A six shop trip today - coal merchant, Home Bargains, Morrisons, stove shop, Boots, local shop.  TOmorrow, a supplementary fodder run to accomodate a visitor, 30747's niece who is stopping with us over the bank holiday, and is breaking her journey from Scotland to the South coast.

So it's not certain when I will be back.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Greetings All and best wishes to those that are ill/Missing. 

Absolutely piddling it darn ere

Had a bit of eyelid inspection didn't sleep well last night blooming really bad nightmare. Mrs woke me up said i was knocking hell out of bedside cabinet. 

Been a slow day draclear is coming tomorrow something else to look forward to not

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, I gassed up the car today, for the first time since 25mar20; it took 14.7 gallons (US). Hmmm, the "book" states that the capacity is 13.2 gallons (US) <_< ! That probably does not include the filler neck and associated piping as I always fill it right up to the very top. Oh well, unless things improve a bit, it might be another four months before I fill up again :biggrin_mini: .

Secondly, my registration for next year was due and because the car is fifteen years old, the fee went down to $23.68. A great savings from last year's $100.00 or so. :yahoo_mini:

Thirdly, I went out to start it to go to Gene's for my Thursday corned beef & cabbage lunch and it was totally dead, so I jumped it and went on my way. When I came out from lunch (very tasty, btw), it was dead again! My thoughts when I got home were leaning towards having to buy a new battery. I had forgotten to bring in the jump-starter and when I went out to get it, I noticed that the brake lights were on. Ah hah, well I will just pull the wires off the brake light switch; uh, no go, the lights stayed on :( ? A call to my mechanic's garage and I will take it in tomorrow first thing. Hmmm, a new battery just might have been cheaper!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17