The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s still raining, but it’s not as heavy as yesterday. Once Sheila has finished eating her breakfast I shall start painting the bathroom woodwork. The bathroom is only small so it shouldn’t long and as I’m using white paint again, hopefully just one coat will do the job. 

Theres not much else planned for the day. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the rest of the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

My advice re chasing your ancestry on the internet sites is beware that a large amount of the information is gleaned from other amateur searchers and not always on written evidence that has been documented at the time. I have used several sources to cross reference as I am not able to actually visit the churches or town halls to see the original documents. One site I use will get copies of certificates, but it costs a fair bit more.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

That was written in 2007. I remember cracking the joke when I drove back from Reading and encountered floods 'twixt there and Oxford (long before the M40) in 1979 or prior, as I left that company that had a Reading Branch in 1979.

It was actually first written back in the 1970s and appeared in the late Keith Waterhouse's column in "The Daily Mirror" or Mail - he wrote for both in that decade  way back then - it was also republished in his anthology "Mondays Thursdays" - the version that Rick mentioned is the one which comes up most often these days on an internet search for the piece.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 minutes ago, 45156 said:

It was actually first written back in the 1970s and appeared in the late Keith Waterhouse's column in "The Daily Mirror" or Mail - he wrote for both in that decade  way back then - it was also republished in his anthology "Mondays Thursdays" - the version that Rick mentioned is the one which comes up most often these days on an internet search for the piece.

I'd never heard of it before.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2020 at 04:51, iL Dottore said:

...snip...

Wasn’t it de rigeuer in the 1940s/1950s that if you had gone to either Oxford or Cambridge and ended up in the security services, you’d also have a part time job with either the KGB or GRU?

...snip...

iD

That is the way that it seemed like over here. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

My advice re chasing your ancestry on the internet sites is beware that a large amount of the information is gleaned from other amateur searchers and not always on written evidence that has been documented at the time. I have used several sources to cross reference as I am not able to actually visit the churches or town halls to see the original documents. One site I use will get copies of certificates, but it costs a fair bit more.

My father spent many years researching his family tree in pre internet days, after he retired. I think he got back to the 16th and 17th century in most branches. He did most of it on parish records. He did use the mormon library in Huddersfield  but said that you had to take a lot of their research  with a pinch if salt due to a) their motivation to do it and b) as a resultbof the former they weren't always very rigourous in cross checking. The filing cabinet with all the records ended up in Huddersfield  University  library and to my knowledge  has been used quite a bit. I did once spend a pleasant afternoon untangling his filing system for a Prof from Manchester.  The interesting thing for me was that I could understand  the filing system and would have used many of the same techniques.  The Prof was quite easy on the eye as well.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pH said:

...snip... There is a phenomenon in chemical analysis called the ‘Lamb shift’. To try to make sure we retrieved all publications dealing with this, we had to include in any search for it the term ‘Lamb sh it’ without the space.)

So, were there any?? :biggrin_mini:

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A rousing good morning owl from the Piedmont; yesterday was a "nothing" day, I did not even turn on this confuser! I can not believe that I survived a day without RMweb (ER) or Facebook. :yahoo_mini:Soon today it is off to harvest the hay mow the lawn. It is literally going to seed; I wish that I could let it go until the seeds drop (free grass re-seeding!) but I have put it off too long already.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

it’s tedious having to oppress and terrorise the peasantry, but someone has to do it.....

Or put another way : Someone has to do it.  

39 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I'd never heard of it before.

It certainly isn't a recent piece but neither is it necessarily well-known.  It has always amused me and perhaps rather more so than some of Waterhouse's other pieces.  The anthology referred to was named "Mondays, Thursday" after the days his column was at the time being printed.  

• Like 11
  • Funny 2