The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

nice little pannier 

Oxymoron alert?

(and I'm not including "little" in the alert)

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still blowing a hooley outside, bought a bit of heavy rain with it a while ago but its soon dries up. At least the wheelie bin has stayed upright and in place. Most people seem to be wearing face masks in Tess Coe's today including the staff. I receive an update each morning from In Your Area <info@inyourarea.co.uk that includes details of  coronavirus rates. Here in Basildon its very low but its increasing in other local areas. Just go into the site and enter your postcode. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

Some years ago, I did a bit of family history research. I went back to great-grandparents generations for both myself and my wife. We weren't interested in going further - we had some connections to that generation, but no earlier. I could not find a death certificate for one great-grandfather. We had pictures of him, had birth and marriage certificates, and I knew he was alive in 1915, but no death certificate. I know at least two of my cousins had also done some searching, and neither of them had found it either.

Over the years, I've gone back and looked again, when I had another idea about where to look, but never found anything.

Today, on "Scotland's People" (the Scottish national records website), I had another try. After a couple of hours of fruitless effort, and despite being absolutely sure of his surname, I tried selecting 'fuzzy logic' on the surname search. His death certificate turned up! The record has the surname as we have always known it, but it has been indexed under an incorrect name - "McCaferty" instead of the correct "McCafferty". I've sent a copy to the two cousins who have also been looking for it, and a report of the incorrect indexing to "Scotland's People".

I can't believe how irrationally happy this has made me!

Nothing unusual,  on one side of the family,  currently known as Rawlings,  there are Rawlins,  Rawlens, , Rowlings, Rowlings,  and all  the above without the S. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Nothing unusual,  on one side of the family,  currently known as Rawlings,  there are Rawlins,  Rawlens, , Rowlings, Rowlings,  and all  the above without the S. 

Not quite the same thing. What I understand you’re saying is that members of the family have used various different forms of the surname. As you say - nothing unusual.

In the case of my great-grandfather, he (and as far as we know, everyone else in the family) used “McCafferty” as the spelling of the surname. That is the spelling on the entry in the statutory registry of deaths, as shown by the scan available on “Scotland’s People”. However, the entry is indexed under the term “McCaferty” i.e. it was wrongly indexed when index terms were created manually. I and my cousins have been using the correct “McCafferty” form when searching and so failing to retrieve the wrongly-indexed record.

(I can relate to that, actually. I once worked in an organization which manually indexed and searched scientific publications. There is a phenomenon in chemical analysis called the ‘Lamb shift’. To try to make sure we retrieved all publications dealing with this, we had to include in any search for it the term ‘Lamb sh it’ without the space.)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring again,

A well tied down mooring that is...

Except for the Marquee.. the marquee covers are held on By Bungee balls , 32 of them, On Ben the "I'm not sure about going out in this wind" Collies patrol. I decided to inspect the Marquee, and found 14 had failed, that's several scattered odd ones and an entire end wall above 6ft.. I bought a bag of 20 spares back in February...so I've run around and put new ones on where I can reach, but not of course the North end where I need the step ladder, that's out in the orchard somewhere.

I have just 3 new bungies left.. I need 10... So I've already been on the house on the house of strong ladies to order more, and  tonight when I get home I'm going to be looming and lacing the North end with spare rope, a sailor always has tons of spare rope... the wind should Have eased by then.. another thing for tonight is to measure the old bungy and bobbles, to see if buying more elastic bungy cord is a reasonable proposition as there are lots of black balls on the floor..

The rest of the garden is fine, just tons of leaves scattered around..

The journey in had less branches on the ground than I expected, but lots of leaves and twigs.. And soil... one of the first fields I bass has just been ploughed and the wind has taken some of the top soil off and deposited it along the road.. wherever there was a bit of shelter for the soil to drop out of the wind..

Time I went and reviewed the overnight cross check run.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

a sailor always has tons of spare rope...

My brother from HK helped sail a friends new £1m catameran from La Rochelle to Gibralter back in July. When he arrived on the boat there were just two ropes and upon saying to his friend that wasnt enough rope, his friend said  thats what the builders supplied so it must be. Also only one life jacket onboard, dishes and cutlery for one person etc. It took my brother three weeks to get him to spend money on items required with my brother having to buy his own life jacket which he has kept as he is hoping to get his own boat again. My brother should have been helping his friend sail the boat to Greece but the three weeks lost in LaRochelle (and that his friend would go to bed when he should have been on watch) meant that he had to leave him at Gibralter.

Morning all form a sunny and much less windy Surrey.

Today some crust earning turning up with one sound decoder fitted loco that I installed back in March now being collected. Maybe some prepping the fascia and soffit boards on the house ready for painting then it will be beer o'clock at 4pm.

• Like 19

Morning All,

Where does the time go?  We have a very blustery morning in this part of the world and it would appear that autumn is fast approaching.

I'm working from home again today, having spent the past three days in the office.

Hoping all ERs are staying healthy!  Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Many years back I was told that it took approximately 9  man hours of maintenance to keep a Lynx (then the Army's sole airborne A/T platform) in the air for one hour.

Many moons ago I believe WHL produced a civilian variant of the Lynx, nick-named the Westland Breadvan.  I heard rumour that they gave/lent one (or more?) to a U.S. Operator, in the hope of selling some.  By all accounts they gave it back again as the maintenance and spares costs were astronomical.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Nice to see a visit from Robert.

Still quite breezy here after a very wet and windy night.  Some sunshine and blue sky here at the moment and sunny spells are forecast for the rest of the day....said he....hopefully.

A quick glance out of the windows has confirmed that everything is where it should be.  Car, The Shed and even my dodgy fence panels are still in place.

Forgot that there were two rugby matches on last night, first time on a Tuesday I believe.  Luckily the magic box is set to record all such things so I'll be able to watch them later.

Other tasks today include finishing off re-cataloguing and revaluing the muddle collection for insurance purposes.  I've been a bit lax in adding new additions over the past year or so.  The printer has been working overtime but at least here in my new "office" it is beside the desk so I can easily keep an eye on it.

The Boss has just reminded me that "we", that means I, have to finalise the online shopping list today.  (She doesn't "do" computers)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1