The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Francis was persisting down for most of the night but now has moved on and it appears to have stopped raining. The forecast is that it won't be back this far south but north of The Wash it will be doing an Arnold S (I'll be back). Thoughts are with Tony and Aditi today. Time to run a bath, be back later.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Plus they have never been deployed against a well trained professional army who have sufficient Manpads to deal with a helicopter threat.

Many years back I was told that it took approximately 9  man hours of maintenance to keep a Lynx (then the Army's sole airborne A/T platform) in the air for one hour.

Helicopters and tanks both require an awful lot of manpower to keep them operational. I remember being told some years ago that a tank with a three man crew needs a total of 27 people to keep it going and a tank with a four man crew needs 64 people. No wonder that there is saying that logistics is more important than tactics in modern warfare.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

Morning all,

After a single day’s respite from the last storm, Francis is with us.  It may not be as windy as it was over the weekend, but it sure is wet!  It has been a consistent downpour since I got up.  With yesterday being a nice calm sunny day, I decided to get a few outside jobs done, such as grass cutting and lifting some potatoes.  All these jobs were done Ok, but with the result that I overdid things rather, so I have a very stiff back this morning.  This is a regular occurrence for me and I know it will ease in a day or so.  Usually a decent walk helps it loosen up, but that isn’t likely for the next few hours!

Yesterday, I finished attaching legs to my layout, which is now sitting on its side, awaiting being lifted into position.  I am not sure if Mrs G will be able to help me do it, so it may have to wait for the weekend when no 1 son comes to stay for a few days.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Helicopters and tanks both require an awful lot of manpower to keep them operational. I remember being told some years ago that a tank with a three man crew needs a total of 27 people to keep it going and a tank with a four man crew needs 64 people. No wonder that there is saying that logistics is more important than tactics in modern warfare.

Logistics always was more important, and those that didn't realise that generally lost..

Ask Napoleon about his supply line when he reached Moscow..

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

9 hours ago, BSW01 said:

...I did in fact eat alfresco today,

I’ve never eaten an alfresco and I thought I knew a lot about Italian food...:biggrin_mini:

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

...I have Ransome's biography somewhere,  he had a most unusual life,  working as a spy in Russia for the secret intelligence service,  but suspected as being a spy for the Soviets by MI5....

Wasn’t it de rigeuer in the 1940s/1950s that if you had gone to either Oxford or Cambridge and ended up in the security services, you’d also have a part time job with either the KGB or GRU?

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Not many of current politicians have ever been involved in any form of brain usage

There, fixed it for you...:jester:

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

...iD, the NHS in my day ran on knee jerk reactions, with demands from NHS HQ in Leeds (the place with the posh private swimming pool etc....) for some needless statistic passed down from our Primary Care Trust senior management to us minion level managers to collate and answer...

According to my medical colleagues retired or just about to retire from the NHS, it still does work on knee jerk reactions (as the panicked shipment of elderly patients from hospitals to care homes at the start of the pandemic seems to show). According to the same colleagues, there are two types of manager in the NHS: those, like yourself Neil, who are involved ensuring staffing, resources and the like are provided to the clinical staff and those who produce “mission statements”, “reach out programmes”, “inclusion awareness trainings” and so on. The former are both underpaid and overworked, the latter - the complete opposite.

With all the “jumping-on-the-latest-bandwagon” currently going on at the NHS, BBC and elsewhere, I fear that things will get worse before they get better.

48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A gentleman of impeccable taste.

Indeed, truly a distinguished, erudite and discerning scholar of railwayana. Such learnéd men should be cherished and encouraged.

Just back from “The Boy Doctor” (the GP who took over from my friend - my former GP [rtd] - this youthful doctor is young enough to be my son, scary thought. Nice lad though). Did some blood work, numbers all going in the right direction, and got some “recreational drugs” (actually an NSAID for a musculoskeletal problem, but as we are born into this life to suffer, any relief is purely recreational).

And on that drug fuelled, alcohol-addled* note, I bid you good day!

iD

*from the fumes of the ETOH containing hand sanitizer, as you ask

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

9:1 was the ratio we used to quote at the School of Ordnance.  That was the average figure required in supporting roles units  to keep one fighting man effective. (A coincidence that it was the same ratio to keep the Lynx airborne for 1 hour)

However that is a very arbitrary figure. and it becomes much more interesting the further you break it down into the various elements.  The trouble is that you end up being awash with so much statistical information that you drown under the weight of the information and it becomes useless.

Statistics can be used very effectively but the target parameters need to be carefully thought out before demanding information.  Taken in context and in isolation the information can be invaluable, but if you take masses of statistical information and block it together to create overall figures, then the information that is published can be  both corrupted and contradictory. 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve never eaten an alfresco and I thought I knew a lot about Italian food...:biggrin_mini:

Wasn’t it de rigeuer in the 1940s/1950s that if you had gone to either Oxford or Cambridge and ended up in the security services, you’d also have a part time job with either the KGB or GRU?

iD

*from the fumes of the ETOH containing hand sanitizer, as you ask

But AR Was there during the Russian revolution 1913-1919 the GRU and KGB hadn't been invented yet..

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Logistics always was more important, and those that didn't realise that generally lost..

Ask Napoleon about his supply line when he reached Moscow..

Very true about 1812 and he was probably not the first. I am not a military historian but I am sure that there were many cases of small forces winning against superior forces by attacking their supply lines.

And of course, "scorched earth" warfare was very much about denying food supplies to the enemy. An army marches on its stomach.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We had an awful lot of rain overnight, but it’s currently dry, but windy (outside). The plans today are I’ll complete a Sainsbury’s Grand Prix after breakfast, as I need to put in a prescription. I would have done this last night but I was advised to stay inside instead. After the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix I’ll make a start of the bathroom, mainly taking down pictures, shelves and the bathroom cupboard.

Baz, I didn’t fall asleep during the scan, my biggest problem was consciously preventing my foot from tapping to the radio, which just happened to be playing some music that I like. It’s a good job I don’t suffer from claustrophobia, as that top plate gets very close to your face doesn’t it?

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5