The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My neighbour is nearly 80 and was planning to go on his roof to replace some ridge tiles but needed to borrow an angle grinder. I forgot that I had one. The other neighbour who does some roofing work said it isn’t a ladder job and offered to get someone very reasonable and reliable to do it. The building neighbour said years ago he would have been up there but not now. He is getting a cherry picker and scaffolding for a job on his own house. The chimney he did for me was considered to be safe and easy. I did chimney repairs on our old house but that roof wasn’t that steep and we hadn’t any money to spare!

Tony

• Like 19

Remember reading a biography of Ransom some years ago. It is a wonder that he wrote the Swollows and Amazon series, his wife constantly belittled his work and even wrote to his publisher trying to get them to drop the books

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 15

Greetings all 

I have only ever been on 1 bus in the London area Hounslow to Hanwell Library. We were staying at the Heathrow travel lodge, that was interesting when eldest who was around 6 at the time opened the curtains and said Dad the Plane is going to hit us. To be fair it did look damn close. 

Roof repairs 

I was about 18 at the time and my grandparents lived in a dormer bungalow, I went round to see them when I came round the corner my Grandad was sat astride the ridge fixing one of the tiles he was 70 odd at the time. He had even built his own cat ladder to get up the roof. 

It's getting dark here but it has been a beautiful calm evening lovely sunset over the Railway line. Won't be long till the Sun doesn't pass the spire of the Cemetery chapel in its winter track across the heavens.At least we will get proper sunsets for a bit then because once it crosses the embankment we can't see the Sun go down. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

Remember reading a biography of Ransom some years ago. It is a wonder that he wrote the Swollows and Amazon series, his wife constantly belittled his work and even wrote to his publisher trying to get them to drop the books

But, being aLoiner, Ransome was made of sterner stuff...

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Barry O said:

But, being aLoiner, Ransome was made of sterner stuff...

Baz

Probably had to be. Second wife had been Trotsky’s personal secretary. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 12

Evening All,

Relatively busy day here, so little time to keep abreast of goings on here in ER land, so I hope I find everyone happy and contented. 
Morning spent catching up on paperwork then nephews and Syd came round so went on a walk. After taking them home after tea I did a quick trim of the lawn as the green bin is due for emptying to tomorrow.weather been pretty good but tomorrow looks like a washout.Again no shed time.

Good night

Robert

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl inner Temple Hare, 

Yep. Can't sleep again , not helped by SWMBO having a very bad night.  She invited the friend who delivered food to us during lockdowns, to come over with her adult children,  to raid the orchard. 

SWMBO did far to much, including climbing step ladders before they arrived. She is now paying for it and her painkillers are just not sufficient. She has cancelled her visit to her weaving group today, though as it would be outside,  there a good chance it would be cancelled anyway. 

I see Francis has arrived for those living to the south west of a line from Liverpool to London.  So it's imminent here,  as my hands are also saying. 

I have Ransome's biography somewhere,  he had a most unusual life,  working as a spy in Russia for the secret intelligence service,  but suspected as being a spy for the Soviets by MI5.

Time to try for more sleep. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Chuckinitdarn here.

Tony and Aditi, no words can help but I hope you have a peaceful day.

Brian did you fall asleep during the scan? I was told off for doing so the last two scans I have had. So confortbale and the latest scanners are a lot quieter!

I note that tanks are obsolete in Britain, no words to be used in the twomost well known pieces on the last night of the proms..befuddled thinking is back with a vengeance in the UK...

I may get some more work done inthe railway room today..can't see any need to go out in the rain.

Make best use of the day everyone!

Baz

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12