The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Reading about sailing on the Broads, I'm reminded of a book recounting the (alleged) exploits/mishaps of boat-hiring on the Broads: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/the-art-of-coarse-sailing/author/michael-green/  (other selling platforms are available... ) 

It was an introduction into the world of coarse 'activities' and an inspiration for some modelling cameos. Perhaps not as good as Jerome K Jerome's classics, but it passes the time nicely. For some of us, sailing is often better in contemplation or memory than in the doing. 

• Like 13

The fishing tackle shop was never owned by Roys, other than that............................................can't think of many. I first visited in 1954, I can't remember if Roys was there then, we got a cruiser from Blakes with a sailing dinghy on the back for my Dad. I have spent many years fishing on the Broads, often got mentioned in the EDP newspaper back in the day, I still have one relative living nearby. I intend to have a fishing holiday on the Broads, maybe next year, but doubt I will arrive on a steam hauled train as I did the first time.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

That's clever, there isn't a cop shop in Wroxham.. It's in Effin clown town.. 

Do they mention Roy's?  The cop shop is next door... 

No they don't. The books are by David Blake, I will admit they are read once and forget

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FF9LNW4?pf_rd_r=97E4BA9D2THX348KXEPW&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had to pop into Tess Coes this afternoon as the milk was running rather low. Picked up a loaf of bread while I was about it. Five day forecast is a bit of wind and rain especially on Wednesday but the bank holiday weekend will be dry if a bit cold.

22 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

No they don't. The books are by David Blake, I will admit they are read once and forget

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FF9LNW4?pf_rd_r=97E4BA9D2THX348KXEPW&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

Dave

That first review was pretty scathing, in that case I don't think I'll bother.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Is the cop shop in clown town owned by Roys as well as everything  else

It was probably paid for by them when they built the extended store next door. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Reading about sailing on the Broads, I'm reminded of a book recounting the (alleged) exploits/mishaps of boat-hiring on the Broads: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/the-art-of-coarse-sailing/author/michael-green/  (other selling platforms are available... ) 

It was an introduction into the world of coarse 'activities' and an inspiration for some modelling cameos. Perhaps not as good as Jerome K Jerome's classics, but it passes the time nicely. For some of us, sailing is often better in contemplation or memory than in the doing. 

I have that book,  most of the stories are true if not all consecutively and most relate to today. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

The fishing tackle shop was never owned by Roys, other than that............................................can't think of many. I first visited in 1954, I can't remember if Roys was there then, we got a cruiser from Blakes with a sailing dinghy on the back for my Dad. I have spent many years fishing on the Broads, often got mentioned in the EDP newspaper back in the day, I still have one relative living nearby. I intend to have a fishing holiday on the Broads, maybe next year, but doubt I will arrive on a steam hauled train as I did the first time.

Roy's have been in Hoveton since 1899...

The fishing shop, if you mean the one on the road between Roy's and the Railway Station. Is there but not there. 

Last year in strange circumstances the fishing shop  was kicked out of the premises,  they are part of Angling Direct. Then after several months a different fishing shop opened in the same premises.. 

Angling Direct have found a different premises in Wroxham. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Interesting reading the titles of the books, 

They are all based in 

"Broadlands" which is where

"St Benets" is, I regularly sail past there  especially in the 

"Three Rivers" race, during which you are not allowed to use any

"Moorings" but you sail past the river to

"Horsey Mere" which is very close to where I'm sat, if it weren't for trees, I'd be able to see it. 

I've never read the books because I generally don't read fiction.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13

There are several sets of similar detective book's available on kindle unlimited. The quality varies as does the locale where they are set from Northumberland to the Lincolnshire fenland to Oxfordshire and Somerset. For a subscription of £7.99 a month its not bad. I have no connection with the service except i have used

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I suspect that this one will fall foul of the site filters, so I'll have to spell it.

Sierra Oscar Delta (apostrophe) Sierra

Law of the Sea

Is (to me anyway) another amusing book relating to sailing.  It is based on a set of letters between Uncle and Nephew.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... (it’s the end of August, time for my yearly visit to a tub full of hot, soapy, water)

iD

The rest of the year is cold, soapy, water?? :jester:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a grammar error.
  • Funny 15

37 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Showery today but managed a bit of time tidying the garden followed by a trip to the dump it site. After tea a bit more pharmacy design. I think it’s going to take some time to sort it out. 

Never been on the Broads but do ships and have been up the Norwegian coast with Hurtigruten a few times. Here’s a picture from a couple of years ago the ships coming into Trondheim.EC61EF63-6DC2-4DA8-89A1-646D2DF26A8B.jpeg.dd6ecf45b82c9e5cb083a1e6dc434460.jpegNo bow thrusters or pods.

Goodnight,

Robert

Lovely photo the Sea looks like a mill.pond

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 2
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have removed a few more bits from the old garden shed. Found an old barbecue that must date back to the 70's. Before it goes out for scrap I'll take the wheels off of it as I may have a use for them.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1