The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

a bit of signal engineering in the blood is good for longevity.

My Great grandfather who lived to 96 was a signal installer and Lineman at New Street for over 40 years. My Grandfather with whom I spent my first six months at work was on the signal department for 49 years including 20 years as Lineman at Proof House. He lived into his 80s, having survived being wounded whilst serving in the Rifle Brigade at Aubers Ridge.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just because the topic was bad smells there is no need to drag this forum into the gutter :P. Mind you, I got some funny looks once during a coffee break at a meeting in San Diego when I said to a Brit colleague, "Oh him. Yes, he was the best hooker we had then." Not half as many looks as I got in a crowded bar though, also in San Diego, when I asked my mate who was a little way off in a loud voice, "Can I bum a fag?" The place went quiet until an American colleague said, "He's a Brit - means something different over there." We still left soon afterwards though.....

G'night all and a belated happy birthday to Eric as well as congratulations to GDB's Gemma.

Dave

PS, for Douglas and other colonials, the phrase meant, "Can I scrounge a cigarette?"

Similar here where 'root' has a different meaning to what Americans mean when they say they are "Rooting for you", "Rooting for the whole team" etc.

We had a newly arrived young Canadian secretary where I used to work who we had to convince not to go out drinking in  her T-shirt  from the "Roots" clothing company which had the brand name in huge letters across her front.

• Like 6
  • Funny 10

Evening all,

First off happy birthday to Eric and congrats to GDB family.

A few days ago I given by my grandmother a barely used tin of Fortnum & Mason Royal Blend Breakfast Tea. Which amazingly, you can get at some of the very fancy cookery stuff shops here in Tulsa. And well it's certainly an improvement over the standard Yorkshire brew, Apologies to Baz. I've actually been to Fortnum & Mason's, and stood out in the London rain to watch the clock. It didn't make much of an impression on 7yr old me, except for the seemingly ludicrous amounts of jam and jelly which were neatly stacked inside of it.

Everything is packed up for, err, "the big push", tomorrow, and all emails have been read and there stated actions carried out. Mask has been washed, and uniform located. Mind you I haven't had to voluntarily urinate in my shoes to be able to walk in them. thankfully. And I even got my school ID card. The other big news is that the lamp finally arrived to day, pretty much completing the Weeden model powerstation. Next up to get is a boiler feed pump, driven by the giant hand when needed. A new gasket was also fitted to the cylinder end cap, made from wick material, loads of high grade steam oil and graphite shaving. Sounds strange, but works a treat.

stay healthy,

Douglas

7652_6944d414e0023169c76f0fb9e07f1c8f_t.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

A friend of mine who grew up in Stewartby said the smell was not that bad there. I think that the height of the chimneys mean that you don't get the smell if you are close by.

Not always,  I went to a sailing event at stewartby sailing club, https://www.swsc.org.uk/ a very cold light wind morning and a temperature inversion.  You could see the smoke come out of the chimneys and drift down over the lake. Luckily the wind came up and blew it away for the actual racing. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Sounds like that boat Gibbs built in Ncis.

Mark Harmon the actor playing Gibbs,  supported himself as a carpenter before his acting became a success.  Although he didn't build the boats in the programme.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Same here! :yahoo_mini: Especially as I know absolutely NOTHING about Rugby; well, just how to spell it. :jester:

Rugby union is like American football, except. 

Remove the body armour, 

Remove the quarterback so no forward throws, 

No one can be forward of the ball. 

You can't tackle / block anyone who hasn't got the ball. 

To touch down,  you actually touch the ball down on the ground. 

Team size 15 +8 substitutes, but once taken off you can't normally go back on. 

The match is two halves of 40minutes, only additional time for injuries,  so it's all over in under 2 hours total.  Not going on and on and on for 5hours plus.. 

I used to like watching American football,  but only recorded matches not the 5hour live matches... 

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl inner Temple Hare, 

You may have noticed I'm awake,  1.hour+2hours+1hours+2hours+1hours sleep, a bit interuppted. 

The only common thing is my hands and finger joints are throbbing. Since we are not forecast rain, it suggests this is being caused by the rapid pressure drop as this storm goes over. 

Plans for today,  concrete the new alleyway entrance.  Repair and maybe carry on building the barbeque area. 

But before that I fancy a BLT  that's as in food not there termination of bits of parallel metal... 

Time to head for the kitchen. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Mask has been washed, and uniform located.

My neighbours grandson has been staying with them but will be returning to start 6th form (age 16-18) at school in Wales. The uniform  is “business suit”. This has been obtained (two actually) but now the uniform has changed to washable clothes. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from The Charente.  The fence is now up but needs a few finishing touches and I need to build a wicket gate to allow us to maintain the outside wall of the shed.  A very pleasant evening was spent with friends who are having to return early to the UK so that they can quarantine before various appointments.

Today we are hosting a BBQ as a memorial to our friend thatvdied last year. Most of the people coming were here forva similar event last year and John was at that one so we will raiseca glass or couple in his memory.  Before that it's Model Raulway club meeting so all in all a good day lies ahead.

Happy birthday to Eric and congratulations  to Gemma.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I found staying in the 1980s at the  the UEA accommodation built in the 1960s at the UEA, https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/options/standard-single-ziggurat a bit strange,  single rooms but everything was bare breeze block,  the power in each room was a single 5amp  old type round pin socket, which I was used to with ancient RAF blocks,  but it caught a few out. Note I was in the main wall of accommodation not the ziggurats.

Of course since the demolition of the Fifers lane accommodation more has been built at the UEA main site.  All eco freindly of course with the UEA reputation. 

Just been cutting out Blue Moons name to form  a stencil, only Blue has gone missing,  I'll have to reprint that along with her number which arrived yesterday. 1260... Pity I didn't get 1250, as MOD/RAF 1250, is the ID card. 

More complicated is cutting out her name in Arabic, it's all curves. 

I notice travel agents and tourists complaining they had no notice of the Croatia travel. Ban,  all. Saying it was sudden and they didn't know it was coming... I think they must have been hiding in the Antarctic not to have seen the reports over the last couple of weeks it was likely .

Need a hair dryer..  Just stand outside,  dry sunny windy and warm... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Rugby union is like American football, except. 

Remove the body armour, 

Remove the quarterback so no forward throws, 

No one can be forward of the ball. 

You can't tackle / block anyone who hasn't got the ball. 

To touch down,  you actually touch the ball down on the ground. 

Team size 15 +8 substitutes, but once taken off you can't normally go back on. 

The match is two halves of 40minutes, only additional time for injuries,  so it's all over in under 2 hours total.  Not going on and on and on for 5hours plus.. 

I used to like watching American football,  but only recorded matches not the 5hour live matches... 

But if you only watch the highlights, when do you get beer, hot dogs, doughnuts and popcorn?

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I must admit I found staying in the 1980s at the  the UEA accommodation built in the 1960s at the UEA, https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/options/standard-single-ziggurat a bit strange,  single rooms but everything was bare breeze block,  the power in each room was a single 5amp  old type round pin socket, which I was used to with ancient RAF blocks,  but it caught a few out. Note I was in the main wall of accommodation not the ziggurats.

A friend of mine lasted less than a term at UEA. As I recall, it was the accommodation that got her down so badly.

After a few months working as a PA in London to the Barclay brothers, she went on to further education in London and was much happier and successful.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Also just realised, today is the first official day of the rest of my life - I is now retired!

Do you mean, = I now get a State Pension Retired, OR I can now take orders from someone else type of retired, OR, ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We've had quite a bit of overnight rain and everywhere is wet and it looks likely to rain again soon. Breakfast has been consumed and I’m now waiting for my car to be collected for its MOT and service, this could be anytime between 8:30 and 11:30, but I will be called by the driver when he is on his way, so I should get a 15 minute warning. These were originally due in April but the current pandemic has delayed them both. In the meantime I will tidy up some of the stuff I was using on Wednesday and get the paint etc needed and ready for next weeks job of re-painting the bathroom. If the rain holds off, I may get a bit of gardening done, if it does rain, then I may apply filler to the few areas where this is needed in the bathroom. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2