The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

As I stated yesterday, this morning was taken up by an orientation at the new school. Early start, 6:30, earliest I’d been up in months. Today was my sisters first day of school (8th grade), and her school is just down the lane so traffic was awful. But I arrived in my schools PAC well before the 8:00 deadline, and the talks began. The first few were all about religion (it’s an Augustinian school), and then the real info started. We were split into groups and taken on fast paced tour. Then we  were lead outside, given our schedules, and told we had two minutes to report to are first class!

Epic pandemonium ensued. It really wasn’t that bad, as all the “upper classmen” were stationed four in every hall as human google maps essentially. So after we went through our schedules at 7x times speed, we were shepherded back into the PAC for more prayer or something. Then I was picked up by the grandmother and taken to her house to do various odd jobs, and was reward with lunch consisting of a brioche burger and a “blueberry gooey cake”, don’t tell HH. One of these odd jobs was replacing a bulb in a Georgian style lamp on a wall, and when I opened it, the sliding lock bracket fell off, so I’ll have to braze it back together. Should be interesting.

stay healthy,

Douglas

Oh, and @jamie92208, I can’t say I have heard of a ploughing engine being used recently to get stuff out of a quarry, but would very interested to know more. :read:

It was somewhere in the UK. I think they called it a traction engine. I'll try and find the link.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The last time i was in Frimley it smelt of air freshener/furniture polish From the sc johnson factory.

Seacroft in Leeds does nt smell like Lynx its made there last time i was there you couldnt move for Slovakian trucks bringing aerosol tins in for filling. 

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Sunny morning here.. beautiful views...a day at Beamish isbin the offing..all is well (apparently)

Breakfast was ordered last night..the combinations available were mind blowing but a full mashings fried breakfast with toat and marmite should see me through.

Yes @iL Dottore I too like real ale. Gales brewery is sadly missed..where it is brewed now it doesn't taste the same..but they will tell you that chemicaly it is the same..pah!

Our dinner last night was very good. I ate too much so will cut back tonight. Local good cooked properly served by very attentive staff.

Have as good a day as you can. Thoughts are with all ERs especially our "missing" ones

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Yes @iL Dottore I too like real ale. Gales brewery is sadly missed..where it is brewed now it doesn't taste the same..but they will tell you that chemicaly it is the same..pah!

So agree. Gales' was one of the worst brewery closures. The beer did not taste right when brewed at Chiswick and I don't even know where it is being brewed now that The Griffin has gone as well.

And why did Fuller's feel the need to completely abandon the Gales' name and rebrand all the Hampshire pubs? 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Just remembered another smell from the 50s.  I lived in Brampton (Hunts now Cambs) and the village farm used to get a delivery of sugar beet pulp for winter feed and that was just tipped in the yard which was at the bottom of the High Street.  That was a bit ripe but probably no worse than other farmyard smells that we were quite used to.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well as I'm used to living in the countryside I missed a few, 

A big pile of Eau De Cowshed was in the field alongside our house for over a year before they spread it and ploughed it in..

Sugar beet washings are often dumped on the fields, you can smell Cantley Sugar beet works sometimes, about 15 miles away as the crow flies..

The left over stalks from the pea harvest is quite a pong in the wrong weather.

There's an artic load of chicken  / Turkey inners that goes down the main road many mornings..

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14