The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

No progress was made on the powerhouse today. However most of the morning was spent going around on Spanish google looking at Fowler Ploughing engines, as I’m trying to find one made for direct ploughing in the Pampas, down in Argentina. I didn’t find it, but I did find the closest possibly surviving Fowler engines to me, the one seen below that was still working on Puerto Rico in 1954, evidence suggests. I also found some great photos of a set of B6 “Big Lion” engines made for the Tsar, said photos are of the engines trundling through the winter snow, or maybe getting stuck...

Tomorrow morning I go to the school for a two and a half hour orientation presentation in the PAC, which will either be “absolutely riveting” (:biggrin_mini:), or very interesting. After which I go and rechlorinate the grandmothers various fountains. The other photo below is of the rather nice sunset, taken tonight looking west towards the Arkansas river. 

stay healthy,

Douglas

4E2860AD-9E3E-4100-9647-E24E608C73FA.jpeg

Who mows your lawn?  Looks good!

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Agree 13

Evening All,

Havent had chance to read all the posts today, but congratulations to Brian on his birthday and Q, the craft is looking good. 

There used to be a Coalite plant near where I lived in Barnsley and boy did it stink. There was also a maggot ‘factory’ (or should that be farm) nearby as well and that also whiffed terrible. I seem to remember when I was a kid someone fell into the ‘vat’ and drowned. Don’t know if it’s possible or true but boy what a way to go.

On a personal note, my balance is not getting any better and by tea time (dinner time to some) the tank is empty.

Early night to give the batteries an extra charge so goodnight.

Robert

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Inspector Sands

Hmmm, I seem to remember from some Navy firefighting training that sand can be used in some situations as a fire suppressant; magnesium (?) fires come to mind.

• Like 11
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Talking of smelly industrial processes I recall when I was a nipper we lived downwind of both May & Bakers chemical plant and the local sewerage works, sometimes the whiff could be a bit strong. Later when I lived in Romford everyone knew when the brewery was cleaning out the vats, the smell pervaded the whole town centre. Some people hated it but I didn't mind. Thats it for now, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Thank you for all the birthday wishes, they are very much appreciated. 

Despite this morning’s grey and dull start weather changed mid morning and we ended up with wall-to-wall sunshine from late morning until the sun set. 

I’ve spoken to all the kids today, Mike dropped a card (with some modelling tokens inside) round last weekend. Just before dinner Vickie and Ian called round with cards (which again contained modelling tokens) and some chocolate, they know what I like. We chatted for about 30 minutes, socially distancing of course, we’ve not seen the grandkids now since March, apparently Ava is now taller than Sheila, which isn’t difficult, as Sheila is only 5ft tall! James will be dropping round on Saturday to drop off his birthday card and gifts, as he’s working at the moment and lives several miles away. I also received a generous amount of modelling tokens and a card from Sheila this morning. It’s just a pity that there are no shows that can be attended where I could spend them, I think a trip to Walton’s of Altrincham may be on the cards shortly.

This evening I poured myself a bottle of Old Speckled Hen before we settled down to watch a couple of old Timewatch programs, the first about Bletchley Park and the second about the ‘Dams Raid’ both were very interesting.

Goodnight all 

Brian

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Havent had chance to read all the posts today, but congratulations to Brian on his birthday and Q, the craft is looking good. 

There used to be a Coalite plant near where I lived in Barnsley and boy did it stink. There was also a maggot ‘factory’ (or should that be farm) nearby as well and that also whiffed terrible. I seem to remember when I was a kid someone fell into the ‘vat’ and drowned. Don’t know if it’s possible or true but boy what a way to go.

On a personal note, my balance is not getting any better and by tea time (dinner time to some) the tank is empty.

Early night to give the batteries an extra charge so goodnight.

Robert

Monckton hall coke works? Yes it did stink 

There was a maggot farm on the way out of Knottingley too that stunk too although Synthetic Chemicals/Croda outstank it on the road towards Kellingley

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Belated Happy Birthday Brian

Incidentally my BR fire fighting course sounds to have been much more fun the Rick's - the test took place outdoors we all had an individual go at extinguishing some burning diesel fuel (not a lot of it of course, fortunately).  'Inspector Sands' seems to be a fairly recent invention - a child of the 21st century it would seem or maybe the Western just did things differently.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Monckton hall coke works? Yes it did stink 

There was a maggot farm on the way out of Knottingley too that stunk too although Synthetic Chemicals/Croda outstank it on the road towards Kellingley

Now there is a word that I do not believe that I have ever heard (read?) before; I love it and will remember it for future use! :jester:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Kids halon/bcf  extinguisher s like Co2 had the added risk of freezing on the outside of the cylinders when discharging. If handled wrongly they attached to your hand.

When I worked in transport we had a large storage warehouse we had all details of stuff stored in there including Olive oil in industrial quantities,.sealants ,adhesives  various other chemicals. One day the fire inspector came on their tour you couldn't guess what they said was more dangerous. Pallets of glass beer/sauce bottles because the necks form chimneys in fires

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Now there is a word that I do not believe that I have ever heard (read?) before; I love it and will remember it for future use! :jester:

The smell.was rather unique. If traffic was slow behind a truck or slow moving vehicle it made your head spin

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2