The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

As to the dabotage. I think it was B Bishop in Waterloo wanting to be amused wot did it.

At one point Dediserve’s error report came from Amsterdam as the power had failed in London. Are you sure Bill B was still in Waterloo?

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

Greetings one and all!  Never have I had such a soporific cheese sandwich.  It's later than I thought.

Thanks to Neil for showing pics of amazing Grace.  I confess that I normally find baby koalas more attractive than baby humans but there is something about that baby human to gladden the heart.

While we have been off air I wondered several times where all those extras students are going to live.  These days, I gather, first year students are offered accommodation that is a considerable advance on the halls of my day, at a price of course, but it is at a premium in many places.  Where I lived for my first two years at UEA started off life as barracks on a disused RAF station, Horsham St Faith since you ask.  I fear that the increased demand for flats etc will flush some slums out of the woodwork.  It gets no easier being a student.

To demonstrate convincingly that I know much less about IT than I should, I did wonder why the e-placard proclaiming the absence of the forum earlier referred to Amsterdam.  Someone will know.

Best wishes to all

Chris 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Swmbo has nipped out with bil to asda at glasshoughton to get some shopping and to hopefully gain mobile signal 

I remember Glasshoughton well when it was the pit, rapid loader and coking plant. It has certainly changed and the Asda is frequented by our daughter who lives just across the river in Allerton Bywater.

Jamie

• Like 15

Allerton Bywater had changed loads too. I remember the railway line that ran along the side of the muck stacks over the River Aire joining the main line near Cas rlfc. I also remember a bus turning out of the depot on the end of Wheldon lane the wrong way and hitting the bridge 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Happy 64th birthday Brian, the only thing with breakfast in bed is it makes a mess of the sheets.:jester: The sun is shining so I was thinking about going outside to continue with the shed. Well I thought about it and I'm still indoors. Looking through a group on Farcebook that deals with the London borough that I used to work for. What caught my eye was a picture including one of the councils armoured Transit vans used for delivering wage packets to outlying sites. These were manned by a driver and security officer in the cab and a clerk in the back to dish out the pay packets. He sat in splendid isolation on a rotating 'captains chair' that also slid backwards and forwards and from side to side on rails. I might also add that the only view out when the vehicle was in motion was through the sliding communication hatch through to the cab. The favourite trick of the security staff if they had a newbie in the back was to make sure that he was securely strapped into the chair then surreptitiously release the bolts that stop it sliding on the rails and rotating. They then shut the hatch and proceeded to accelerate a brake sharply and take corners at speed which left the victim helplessly taking a roller coaster ride. When the victim was released the air was decidedly blue.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Allerton Bywater had changed loads too. I remember the railway line that ran along the side of the muck stacks over the River Aire joining the main line near Cas rlfc. I also remember a bus turning out of the depot on the end of Wheldon lane the wrong way and hitting the bridge 

As the duty Inspector for the division my biggest nightmare was Hickson and Welch having a f*rt at their plant opposite the rugby league ground. The plant contained a considerable quantity of phosgene at all times as an intermediary  in the production of some sort of timber treatment. If that had happened  with a northerly  wind things could have got interesting.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

As the duty Inspector for the division my biggest nightmare was Hickson and Welch having a f*rt at their plant opposite the rugby league ground. The plant contained a considerable quantity of phosgene at all times as an intermediary  in the production of some sort of timber treatment. If that had happened  with a northerly  wind things could have got interesting.

Jamie

I remember it well there was a terrible smell in the air for days afterwards 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Many happy returns, Brian. 

Just seen The Q's photos. Very nice bit of woodwork there. The shine on that wouldn't disgrace the Cipriani! 

First day back in the office.  Ploughed through a couple of hundred emails and messages in an attempt to get situational awareness up to speed.

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

When the victim was released the air was decidedly blue.

Pretending to be dead is a good riposte for that sort of “joker”. I actually first saw that when I was at school. A teacher whacked someone round the head and the boy just dropped like a stone. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

...While we have been off air I wondered several times where all those extras students are going to live.  These days, I gather, first year students are offered accommodation...

Chris 

You're right. Generally first-year students do get a guarantee of accommodation. Halls tend to have sufficient accommodation to mop up a proportion of 2nd / 3rd and post grad students. I'd guess that any surfeit of first years displace 2nd & 3rd years. Post grads tend to prefer to live off campus. Students with families can also be accommodated on campus.

It's also not unknown for halls to be configured to cater for students who may prefer quieter / no alcohol / vibrant / single or multi gender halls. 

You're quite right that accommodation has upped it's game in the last few decades. In my first year, four of my class mates ended up sleeping on the library floor for the first week. The course tutor ended up driving them round the Eastend trying to find them digs. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1