The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

[snip]

So - basement recovery was going along swimmingly (ironic humor), and Sunday was the expected removal of all the fans and dehumidifiers - these folks work weekend too as they charge BY THE DAY for the equipment - so they remove them soon as they are finished and humidity levels are satisfactory.

Cue the Mrs, who heads down to the basement for her laundry Sunday morning, returns and says "Um, you better come and look..."! :jester::O

Turns out our hot water heater has decided THIS is the week to begin leaking from the base, probably corroded/rusted, and filled the surrounding area with water :(

"Man" comes out quick as a flash, cleans it up - this is now the FOURTH time in the past couple of weeks - but has to leave some of the fans and a couple of dehumidifiers running to clear THAT mess up, should be only 48-hours this time, says he... :(

We have a new water heater being installed between 12 - 4 today, and frankly the next time there is water in the basement, it'll likely be the FIRE BRIGADE that will need to respond :butcher:

[snip]

Tally ho - I may start building an Ark in the back garden...

Would it not be more useful in your basement?

• Like 9
  • Funny 9

Excitement abounds here tonight had to call fire service to a fire near us 300 yards across the allotments is a short row of terraced houses facing the railwsy line.  At the end of the row something was on fire. Just had a call from the fire serviceasking if i knew whos car it was 30 mins later. 

Just settled down to watch the start of London heist says Craig Fairbrass in it. Me to Swmbo "wasnt he in right said fred" doh wrong Fairbrass dont i feel silly 

• Like 15

20 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Excitement abounds here tonight had to call fire service to a fire near us 300 yards across the allotments is a short row of terraced houses facing the railwsy line.  At the end of the row something was on fire. Just had a call from the fire serviceasking if i knew whos car it was 30 mins later. 

Just settled down to watch the start of London heist says Craig Fairbrass in it. Me to Swmbo "wasnt he in right said fred" doh wrong Fairbrass dont i feel silly 

Not Deeply Dippy?

:jester:

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I never got outside to do any gardening, it started to rain a little just as I was about to get started. So I stayed inside and started fitting the underfloor insulation in the hall. By dinner time I was at the halfway stage. After dinner work continued and apart from underneath the access hatch in front of the front door, it’s done. During the process I had to unclip all the cables fastened to the beams, which of course meant that they got in the way when I was fitting the insulation. But they are all clipped back now and they’re a lot tidier than they were before too!

Tomorrow, I’m taking it a bit easy as my arms and shoulder ache a wee bit, so I’m going to take it a bit easy and do the dead heading, which is a little less strenuous than today’s task. I’ll finish the insulation on Wednesday, then I’ll make a start on some permanent lighting under there. I fitted a battern type light fitting when I put the new lights in the office area of the cellar, so it’s now just a case of adding some extra wiring, a switch and second light fitting.

After tea I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix and in the process earned several brownie points by picking up some of Sheila’s favourite coffee! This particular coffee has been unavailable for the last 3-4 months (info from manufactures own website) and she used the last of what she had about a week or so ago. Not only was I able to get some, it was reduced in price, so I picked up 3 packets, thus re-stocking the larder.

Goodnight all 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I have that ChrisF feeling.

12 hours from now in a normal world, Mrs NB and myself would have been at 30000 feet or more, westbound over the Atlantic for two weeks.

I shall console myself on Sunday evening watching the live railcam at Ashland, Va, where we were planning to make a lunch stop next to the tracks.

A decent proportion of the refunded holiday expenditure has already been turned into IKEA cabinets and decorating supplies.  There is a bit more still to be returned, but that has already been pre-allocated to further improving the dividends of yellow and blue furniture warehouse shareholders............

Unbeknown to Mrs NB, my stash of US holiday allocated modelling tokens has already been diverted to UK based projects in the last couple of weeks.

At least it's only a four-day week for me, as due to the cancelled holiday, I will be attending a golf day out with players and supporters of Blackburn Hawks ice hockey club. But having said that, in a normal world, this particular golf day would have been played in May.................

4 more work days off approved in Sep/Oct for golfing events and we're also looking at a short UK staycation, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Have a good Chewsday folks.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

iD mentioned the concept of being an eccentric uncle. Aditi isn’t eccentric but she has impressed our small nieces. They have decided she is  a princess but a brave one like Anna from Frozen. It is funny but whenever I send the nieces photos of amusing animals or objects when we are on holiday they ask for photos of their auntie. The nieces Mum sent us a photo of the girls crossing a ravine on a netting bridge today (some sort of outdoor activity centre). I sent them a photo from 3 years ago  of Aditi on a wire tightrope in the Alps with a huge drop (there was a safety net). Aditi sent them a photo of me in the restaurant eating breakfast to show what my main holiday activity is. The nieces of course were impressed (but not with the breakfast photo). 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning/Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Sun-rain-sun-rain on and off this morning so not much if anything will get done outside today. Examined the directors chair and it looks as if there's a few more dry joints to sort out, the result of being stored in a centrally heated house. Then it will need repainting as the paint is flaking around the loose joints, I have some black acrylic somewhere now where did I put it?:dontknow:. Good news is that I've found the missing (hiding?) screws. The cardboard box they were in had been soaked in oil from a leaking can so I transferred them to another container. That container was in full view all the time but I'd forgotten and was still looking for the cardboard box. :banghead: Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Greetings all from the fold in the hill which is currently dry but is starting to cloud over. Men have come and cut some of our trees in the back garden, taking out the diseased and virtually dead ornamental cherry, a dead conifer and shaping the other conifers that form a screen between us and the houses at the back. They will be back in November to shape the copper maple, once the leaves have fallen. They seem to have done a pretty good job although next door was not too chuffed about chipping dust on his car. He drove it off in a huff; they blew the dust off our car which was also next to their machine. Mrs Lurker has been round to apologise.

The noise certainly made to the two calls i was on this morning quite entertaining! Since then, my work citrix link has had an off moment and now I am building up to two more calls; no tree cutting noise this time!

Elder Lurker has been persuaded that now is the time to get back to the job agencies and people providing apprenticeships. Hopefully something will come of it in reasonable time

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have only been tasked with helping with new fences today and it is now getting rathervwarm just as we get to the job of putting up the new fence. We could have done with a pair of Fowler p,ough engines to drag the plough through to getbout the wild cherry stumps. Magnificent beasts are plough engines. Wasn't one used just recently to get some machinery out of a quarry.

As to the sabotage. I think it was B Bishop in Waterloo wanting to be amused wot did it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14