The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Blood tests are no problem here. We ring the nurse, tell them what type of test is required and the next morning, Frederique, Marie or Dominique appear  and do the deed. Results out of the ordinary are emailed or faxed to the Dr that day. We get a copy of the results in the post a couple of days later. Simples. 

I spent a bit of time wrestling with Robbingair this morning. They owe me for a cancelled  flight in April. Surprise surprise, when I used the online chat, it was just being processed.  I am to expect it in 7 to 10 working days.

A nice walk was had with Beth after lunch and I have even done some muddling. Wonders never cease.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

.  We ended last night's discussion over where to go if we hired a car with stalemate.

How about the Alice Holt forest just south of Farnham - a weekday after school goes back? Some nice trails.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's results plan...  

With a purely parochial view teachers' assessments (or for that matter mocks' results) are good news, although I note each top grade achieved will cost me an "arm and a leg" under my eldest's reward scheme. I'm happy on this occassion to have my wallet plundered.

I think it was iD who mentioned entrance exams for univerities. Of course a couple of unis do offer these. Past papers are definitely worth a read. Albeit they say much about how language can be used to give the illusion of academic superiority rather than the actuality. Verdict - there is more challenge in deciphering deliberately wordy prose than in drawing conclusions from it. 

Back to work tomorrow and wondering if FUBAR will be muttered.  

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, AndyB said:

With a purely parochial view teachers' assessments (or for that matter mocks' results) are good news,

The recognition that the standardisation methodology was fundamentally biased and flawed has come far too late. Thank goodness the idea of using mock results was rapidly withdrawn - the point being missed was that mocks are primarily a motivational tool - most pupils make a significant improvement between the mock and the exam; to award grades on the basis of mocks represents a severe misunderstanding of how the GCSE or A-level year actually works. In the absence of exams or assessed coursework, teacher assessments are the only valid measure - only teachers know their individual pupils abilities.

Was there ever a greater display of serial incompetence on all fronts?

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The results for my blood tests were probably at the surgery within two days (I know what they are as they can be viewed on line).. but as for trying to talk to Sister Drac.. this may involve an 8 am phone call .. she doesn't start until 9:30  .. but I can leave a message.. will they pass it on to her? God only knows...

e had visitors today. They are looking at buying next door.. but wanted to know how easy it is to do a loft conversion.. so they visited ours!. Very nice people.. but things weren't helped by the estate agent saying.. get dormers it will give a lot more space.. OK but no one else around here has them and the lady of the pair said.." I don't like the sticky out conversions."..Doh!

It was warming up nicely earlier (two loads of washing dried by her indoors on our outside whirlygig.. but it has gone very, very dark and I can smell the storm coming...Pah!

Time for some snap I reckon!

Have a nice evening/day wherever you are!

Baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I was about to start on the shed just after lunch. As I went to get the stuff out of the garage I felt a few spots of rain and a few minutes later it was pouring down. Tomorrows weather is reckoned to be the same and Wednesday is reckoned to be wet, wet, wet so no progress expected until the end of the week. Time for dinner now, its whatever the use by date lottery turns up. Be back later. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

I only post photos of these sort of things once, but our little miracle will be coming home tomorrow.  Would have been today without yesterday's nursing lack of forethought #sigh#. 

Still, 6 days ago we were wondering if she would survive, today, she looked into the camera and posed.  We have a lot to thank all at the hospital for.

D'oh forgot the photos.

2007064407_118128204_10157649546527239_4133600708430290306_n(1).jpg.3f7ca6e001a4beff2b039d88f5180746.jpg117971810_10157649546537239_484974725077677300_n.jpg.94a199002f93931cc7ea30dc181aabce.jpg117949753_10157649546747239_558808638069986861_n.jpg.655f2d3d2237afbbf3bbc52ae09fa018.jpg

Neil, things are going to get expensive from now on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

Well, that is indeed good news. I am pleased and happy for you Neil.

As little Grace (will she ever be a “Gracie“, I wonder) is still in her infancy, you still have plenty of time to work on becoming the perfect “Eccentric Uncle” (every child should have a suitably eccentric Uncle).

May I offer some tips?:D

Firstly, clothing: e.g. kaftans, floppy bow ties, embroidered waistcoats, crushed velvet jackets, Jellabiyas, Tartan Trews (or even a kilt and sporran) etc. Whatever it is, it must scream that you are anything but ordinary... Jeans and a T-Shirt just won’t do.
Secondly, accessories: e.g. a hollow walking stick that contains a long thin flask of the water of life, a folding knife - that’s used for everything from changing a tyre to carving a roast; or perhaps a gold or silver hunter instead of a wrist watch. Whatever it is, it should be unusual and - for a child - incredibly intriguing.

Thirdly, a weird or unusual hobby: well, you ARE a railway modeller, so I think we can safely cross that one off the list...

Fourthly, be a Weltbummler: You really don’t have to travel far to be, in the eyes of a child, a Weltbummler (which you can loosely translate as “Globetrotter“ although that term doesn’t quite catch what a Weltbummler truly is). It is sufficient for the destination to be outside of the child’s experience and thus exotic. Who knows, for little Grace the Shetland Islands or even London might be exotic and mysterious.

Finally (and I am being fairly serious now) an Eccentric Uncle should be able to pass on a useful life skill or interest to their niece or nephew. I had an eccentric uncle and what he passed on to me was the confidence to not be afraid of bold spices and herbs in cooking and he gave a great (and lifelong) interest in - what was at time - “Foreign Food” (I should point out that we are talking about the late fifties/early 60s in the UK in terms of time reference). My uncle was also very much a true Weltbummler, and tales of his adventures in Malaysia, Hong Kong, Macau and Japan prompted in me a lifelong love of these countries and their cuisines.

I am most curious, Neil, as to what you will wear, what accessories you will equip yourself with and to what destinations you will have travelled in order to proclaim yourself as a true “Eccentric Uncle“.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyB said:

How about the Alice Holt forest just south of Farnham - a weekday after school goes back? Some nice trails.

We have secured two tickets for Great Dixter gardens.  Saturday will therefore be spent driving to and from the Kent / Sussex Borderlands by way of some pretty lanes rather than the M25 / A21.  SWMBO always falls asleep in the passenger seat of a car but has asked to be driven through the High Weald.  I shall endeavour to keep her awake by some means though I am perfectly happy to drive anywhere a car will fit  and prefer lanes to motorways anyway.  

This evening's news has been sprinkled with reports of "apocalyptic" rainfall in places as diverse as Barnstaple, Chelmsford and Northampton causing flooding and disruption.  We were on the edge of a couple of monster black clouds but had nothing out of them.  There was a little rain around lunchtime but it barely wet the ground.  Former Neighbour (Upstairs) has spent the day on a Dorset beach and has managed a sea swim.  I am only slightly envious ;) ; I don't swim anywhere except to save a life but am absolutely hanging for some good beach time.  I know they are mostly packed right now.  I also know a few spots likely to be less busy but requiring a fairly determined effort to get to.  

It is bed-time.  There is movement around the Hill of Strawberries as we are now fully-occupied once more and the student members of our community have little to occupy their time other than being with each other and making noise.  Not excessive, it must be said, but enough to be heard and as it is still warm enough there is a lot of conversation coming from the balconies.  Ah well.  I was young once and probably kept a few people awake in my time.  

Sleep soundly.  All will be well.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's Tip of the Day:

When trying to suppress a cough whilst reading ER's and having a gobfull of Tea:

1.  Be very good at it, or:

2.  Swallow quick, or:

3.  Point yer gob on a safe heading.

Apologies to iD, who copped (spelling?) the full blast - along with the keyboard.  Bvgger.  Me thinks Larry the Laptop will be spending the night in the airing cupboard.

And absolutely, definitely no sniggers or laughing - even at the back.......

IMG_0862%5B1%5D.JPG.0fba39a31d04079480cdcc1621a96cb1.JPG

I should really have ticked freindly/supportive but couldn't resist a laugh.  

Hopebit dries out OK.

As to ID's point, I am very proud to be the eccentric uncle to a very bright and recently engaged 22 yr old.  I've just scanned some photos of her blowing out the candles on her 5th birthday cake. That's enabled me to date a film that my forgettery couldn't place at all. We've just had a good chat on messenger and she's been emailed the photos. I suspect that her wedding will cost me but I've only got 3 nieces.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I mentioned the other day that my easy chair had collapsed and I replaced it with a folding directors chair. That too has collapsed, not as drastically as the easy chair, merely a dry joint so its out with the sandpaper and PVA glue tomorrow. Its not done too bad for a £5 purchase from a charity shop. Luckily I have another similar chair but with a steel frame, its also new and unused so should be OK. Now to catch up with Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 12