The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It would seem to be a pleasant morning here. Quite cool but no rain clouds. 
We will be at home today! 
I did some housework yesterday. When we had the rain on Saturday I noticed the gutter over the garage was overflowing. So yesterday I put the drain cleaner hose on my pressure washer and put it in the gutter. Messy but effective. I did move the cars first. My car looked messy anyway compared to Aditi’s which was serviced and washed last week so I sprayed mine with foam and hosed it off. I don’t think I broke any of the activity rules the heart clinic had given me. I suspect my car will be covered in cobwebs again this morning. This has been a good year for spiders here.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Will have to get my @r$e into gear today and get on with the shed. The 'missing' screws have not turned up yet. Whats the betting that they'll stay in hiding until I open the packets of new screws? Q, those branches that broke off of the plum tree I hope are big enough for the wood burner, when suitably dried and seasoned of course. According to the forecast we might get the odd thundery shower but mostly dry, same for tomorrow but Wednesday is going to be a wet one. Thursday however the wetness will be sweeping away northwards and it will be mostly dry. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/08/2020 at 11:14, tigerburnie said:

Skies looking grim here, but I have just been instructed we are going to Perth...............................................see ya later alligator.

At first glance, I thought what on earth is our favourite feline doing going to Australia. Then it dawned on me, our stripey friend was referring to the Perth that is found in the UK.

Given that ER is now global, perhaps we should specify a little bit more to which location we are referring. For example: when you refer to “London“ which one are you referring to? I can think of about half a dozen Londons off the top of my head that are scattered across the globe.

22 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Am I the only person on this forum whose first album was classical? It was a a Decca “Ace of Clubs” Budget label LP c1963 that contained IIRC Finlandia, Marche Slav and Hungarian Rhapsody ...

Whilst the first album I purchased was, if I recall correctly, Dark Side Of The moon; the first album I actually owned was ballet music by Tchaikovsky.  My tastes in classical music are most eclectic: ranging from JS Bach (the composer and organist, not the noted railway modeller) to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart to Arvo Part by way of Stravinsky and Jody Talbot.  To be totally honest, I’ve never seen the appeal of composers like Benjamin Britten, Luciano Berio, John Cage and the like. If I wanted to listen to that sort of “music“ I could tread on the cat :jester:

21 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Not long after Aditi started at a college the person who had been coordinating UCAS applications became ill and she was “volunteered” into doing that task. It went well for the first year where tutors wrote the reference and guided the students with their personal statements. However it was decided that the references would be written by student support assistants. Aditi complained to the senior staff that the standard of written English was unacceptable for a reference. They didn’t want Aditi to “discourage” the new staff by sending all the references back for correction. Aditi was annoyed as she said their students were disadvantaged anyway without the college hindering them to save money. 

Tony

I have emphasised this important sentence, Tony. This, in a nutshell, is the problem with a lot of today’s education. As one columnist wrote “it’s prizes for all”. God forbid should any of the little darlings be exposed to disappointment and failure.  Even though facing up to failure, error and disappointment is a critically important part of growing up and becoming a well rounded individual, we must obviously spare the feelings of the little tykes.  In many ways it’s  a “false economy“ because when they do go out into the real world they will be completely unprepared and unable to deal with error, failure and disappointment.

17 hours ago, polybear said:

...Bear thought he'd restart his numerous unsold Ebay listings from back in March (the local post office is up and running again now).  Only some tw*t at Ebay has decided they're not needed anymore, so has deleted them :angry:  What a stupid mindless idiotic thing to do, and I suggest they go s***w themselves with the rough end of a pineapple :banghead:

No pictures saved, or prices, or text, or postage costs.  Is Bear p***ed off?  Just a tad.

Oh dear. You poor silly bear.  Imagine thinking that these international behemoths are actually interested in providing you with a good, well thought out and convenient mercantile experience. If they think that, for whatever reason, you will not add to their coffers, then as far as they are concerned you can take a long walk off a short pier

11 hours ago, newbryford said:

....The first time was at the NEC Arena and I was on row 12. My ears were still complaining two days later....

Apparently, so some Musos of my acquaintance have told me, on stage is actually the quietest place in any arena, amphitheatre or open air festival.  Running relatively modestly powered amps going into decent speakers which are then miked to go through a monstrous PA system is apparently de rigeuer. For example: David Gilmour uses a relatively modest 50w HIWATT  amp head going into a 4 x 12 WEM cabinet with Fane speakers. Nonetheless, the sound for the audience is deafening as everything on stage is run through an immense PA system.

Interestingly, I was told a little bit of insider gossip by one of my Muso friends who claimed that at least one band, famed for playing in front of a wall of amplifiers and speaker cabinets, was using small amps miked up by the PA and the wall of amps (from a famous manufacturer who was sponsoring the tour), were actually neither plugged in nor connected up...

10 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Arh, the touchy subject of exams. Now I may be wrong here and this is just a personal observation I’ve made over the last 20 years or so, as my own kids and now my grandchildren are being taught. It seems to me that nowadays, subjects at school aren’t taught the way they were when we were kids. Take history for example, they aren’t taught about history, they aren’t given a broad understanding of say the Tudors, like we were. Now they’re taught only what is needed for the pupil to pass the exam, meaning that they don’t learn about history as we did. It’s broadly the same for most other subjects and I feel it’s more about making the schools look good in league tables, the more pupils that pass exams and get good grades, the better the school looks. 

3 hours ago, polybear said:

I asked a recently retired Chemistry Teacher how kids of today manage to take so many subjects & exams etc.  (in my day if you got 5 0-levels you did well).  He replied that years ago they taught the subject first, then a bit more tailored for the exam.  Now it's a little bit of subject, with the majority of the time dedicated to passing the exam.

I guess that's why kids use "LOL" rather than "Laugh out loud" - they can't spell "Laugh".

I know I am being incredibly cynical here, but it seems to be this is the inevitable outcome of trying to please parents by insuring their precious offspring “pass their exams“ (whether or not they understand and know the material) and also the inevitable outcome of sending more and more kids to university.  In more robust times, when the schoolmasters were not afraid  to write things in their reports such as “an intelligent boy suffering from laziness and being easily distracted, could do better“  much of the so-called-college and university curricula would have been dismissed as both puerile and infantile.

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

...After listening to those young guitarists I'm thinking seriously of selling putting my guitars and amp in a pile, pouring petrol over them and setting light to them....

GDB I think there is no need, yet, to do a Pete Townshend (ram your guitar through your amplifier) or a Jimi Hendrix (set fire to your guitar) because as good as some of these young guitarists are, what they are missing is the “feeling” that comes with life experience. Now, and I’m going out on a limb here, I note many of these technically proficient young guitarists do a lot of - what is known in the trade as - shredding. Not so many very young guitarists (i.e. those in their teens or younger) play the blues (the young lad featured in one of the posts above being an exception to the rule) And I think this is because you need to have knocked around a bit to be able to play the blues, even if your blues playing is not very technically sophisticated.

I am now off to write the turnaround for my current blues opus: “CoVID Cancelled Train Show Blues

Have a great week

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

On the Grace front, the hospital didn't cover themselves with glory yesterday evening.  Sarah was sent home, as Grace was in the ICU still.  Once Oscar was a'bed, Stevie went back to the hospital as arranged to spend time with Grace - to find that she had been taken back to a 'normal' ward without anyone being informed.  As such Sarah could have been with her and feeding her, but that opportunity had been lost....after the hospital telling them earlier it was vital, as she had just taken her first feed from mum and it was an incredibly important stage in 'normalising' things.  I think words were had.  A 'nursing' decision apparently, but all it would have taken was a one minute phone call to get Sarah back....and there were beds.  #sigh#  Grace is looking around and aware, hopes are high that she is OK but it's a long road.  

Sounds like a case of left hand and right hand working to a different tune! I hope they sort themselves out quickly and that Grace continues to improve. You and all her family are in my prayers. 

• Agree 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Lummy! Like World War 3 in a basket here!

Phone hasn't stopped ringing..but I did manage to order my prescription. The Marie Celeste aka our surgery was engaged from 8 while 10. They then don't answer the phone. Wonder what they are filling their time with??

Parcels have been received..none to post yet..

I think it's time for a mugadecaff!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The types of rain experienced here this morning vie with the number of words Eskimos have for snow.  Currently it is a sort of mizzly-fuzzy stuff, the stair rods having eased off for now.

On the Grace front, the hospital didn't cover themselves with glory yesterday evening.  Sarah was sent home, as Grace was in the ICU still.  Once Oscar was a'bed, Stevie went back to the hospital as arranged to spend time with Grace - to find that she had been taken back to a 'normal' ward without anyone being informed.  As such Sarah could have been with her and feeding her, but that opportunity had been lost....after the hospital telling them earlier it was vital, as she had just taken her first feed from mum and it was an incredibly important stage in 'normalising' things.  I think words were had.  A 'nursing' decision apparently, but all it would have taken was a one minute phone call to get Sarah back....and there were beds.  #sigh#  Grace is looking around and aware, hopes are high that she is OK but it's a long road.  

Thats good news that Grace is out of the ICU, not so good is they apparently couldn't organise a p!ss up in a brewery. Lets hope that Grace continues to improve and can go home soon.

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Lummy! Like World War 3 in a basket here!

Phone hasn't stopped ringing..but I did manage to order my prescription. The Marie Celeste aka our surgery was engaged from 8 while 10. They then don't answer the phone. Wonder what they are filling their time with??

Parcels have been received..none to post yet..

I think it's time for a mugadecaff!

Baz

I feel very sorry for anyone who has a doctors surgery which treats its patients like yours does. I am lucky in that my doctors surgery have been answering their phones at all times they are open and they get a doctor to call you back the same day. In fact it has been easier to speak to a doctor during the last few months than it usually is. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Walked a bit earlier, managed about a mile and a quarter before The Hip started protesting.   Went via the surgery and picked up forms for blood & urine tests.  Had to book an appointment for the hospital online but got one easily for tomorrow AM. One of the blood tests requires fasting so will have to remember that later if I feel peckish around 22.00hrs.

Bought a BP monitor over the weekend and just tried it out.  It seems I still have a pulse!  BP was within limits too.

Now raining but not heavily.  Erm oh yes it is.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.  This retirement lark is odd.

Took Mrs NHN to Raaaamsey for the express bus to her work as the rain here is biblical this morning. It's cheaper to do that than for her to take her car due to car parking charges, it would have been daft her going on the bike this morning.

Now what do I do.....oh hang on here's a list....damn!

What ever is on that list, get it done straightaway otherwise, you are are in more trouble that you could handle . Always ask for a list so as you will not be blamed if herself forgets.  

When asked "When did you retire?"  I always reply "1962, I just didn't tell any one!"

I hope every thing else is going well.

Edited by John Wass
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, John Wass said:

Always ask for a list so as you will not be blamed if herself forgets.  

Noooooooo!   Sorry John but I have to disagree.  I know I call her The Boss but she knows full well that If a list is handed over it will be put straight in the bin and I will go on strike.  I will happily deal with polite requests to assist  (within reason).  I even volunteer sometimes before I'm asked.  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh dear. You poor silly bear.  Imagine thinking that these international behemoths are actually interested in providing you with a good, well thought out and convenient mercantile experience. If they think that, for whatever reason, you will not add to their coffers, then as far as they are concerned you can take a long walk off a short pier

Have a great week

iD

The same applies to Farcebook. At one time all ones groups were in two columns in the centre of the screen with an indication of the number of posts made since you last looked at that group. About a year ago they changed it to a narrow column on the left hand side. What is more they no longer tell you how many posts have been made, only a dot that informs you if there is a new post, not if there is an answer to an existing post. What is more you can only scroll down about a dozen groups before you come to a notice saying 'more groups' which you have to click on to continue. Now here comes the rub, if someone answers a post or there is a new post or someone rates a post a notice pops up in the bottom left hand corner, right were the more groups notice is. Quite often when I intend to click on more groups a notice pops up beneath the cursor and I find myself looking at a post I read and rated last week. Its usually quite simple to go back to the list of my groups but its back to the top of the list and I have to start scrolling again. Another delight is that most groups are in 'Newest first' order so you just have to go down until it says older. Some groups however are in 'Top posts' order which IMHO is a fancy name for sh!t order. Problem is that they will suddenly change some groups from newest first to top posts. Obviously they don't understand the meaning of the term 'User Friendly'.

• Friendly/supportive 14

24 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

....Went via the surgery and picked up forms for blood & urine tests.  Had to book an appointment for the hospital online but got one easily for tomorrow AM. One of the blood tests requires fasting so will have to remember that later if I feel peckish around 22.00hrs....

What? Why do you need to go to the hospital, are you having any sort of test involving some sort of tracer? If not, why can’t someone at the GP’s surgery draw blood and take the urine sample.
My GP has a fairly compact piece of kit that allows him to get rapid results (I don’t remember all the tests he can do at the office, but it includes Lipids, “Standard” fasting/non fasting blood sugars; CRP, basic haematology, etc). For more complex tests, blood is collected and sent off to a lab service. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any routine blood test that requires admission to hospital.

Depending upon the test, fasting is for 8 - 12 hours before the time of the blood draw. Once blood is drawn, the fast is over.

Good Luck

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

Morning, the trip to Perth(the proper one) was an excellent trip, we've not been often this year, nice to see the grandkids in their own habitat(it also means nothing of mine gets damaged lol).

This talk of music set me off again, not the drumming I did for a few years, but where I started with a blues harp, got a new one in the key of "A" delivered a couple of weeks ago and I've been practising, my lungs are not even close to being in good enough shape yet, even though I am still hill walking.

This character is reminding me what I used to be able to do and helping me to get back

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Flavio,  AFAIK all blood testing around here is done at the local hospital.  In normal times it was a walk in clinic and maximum wait was about 20/30 mins.  Most times I've  been in and out in 10.  It's only since Covid19 have appointments been necessary. When I booked online earlier there were slots available today within 2 hours but as I have to fast I've booked for tomorrow. There were over 100 slots available at the time.  (and still are at the moment)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

My GP's surgery doesn't do blood tests either, in fact it has never done them. The hospital is only about half a mile away and like GDB's hospital used to operate a walk in service but that stopped long before Covid-19 reared its ugly head. Problem is that as I've got older my mobility has got worse and its not such an easy walk to the hospital. Going by car is not an option due to parking charges and there is no direct bus service.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Luckily my surgery does do blood tests , in fact they have two,  phlobotomist nurses  vampires on the staff, which is just as well, it's a 50 mile round trip to the nearest hospital.

• Like 14

Our practice nomally does blood tests (dont know what is happening at the mo) and some of the receptionists douple as phlobotomists so it is a good idea to be poiite to them! I had cause to ring the surgery at the hight of the problem, expecting a long wait but the phone was picked up strait away

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My surgery has for some time operated on the principle that patients are a necessary evil and that things would be much simpler if they didn't have to deal with them. With this in mind they instigated a procedure of not being able to telephone them to make enquires about such things as prescriptions.  Instead you had to go into the surgery where they could interrogate

' interface' with you in person preferably in front of audience. You can imagine therefore there delight when this ruddy virus struck and they were able to tell patients to ......,.,.off stay away.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Noooooooo!   Sorry John but I have to disagree.  I know I call her The Boss but she knows full well that If a list is handed over it will be put straight in the bin and I will go on strike.  I will happily deal with polite requests to assist  (within reason).  I even volunteer sometimes before I'm asked.  

A Man after my own heart there Bob, my Wife has never offered a list, I have never asked for one, and if a job needs doing, it will get done, at some time, but very rarely immediately.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Robbie and I by coincidence had the same parathyroid blood test within a week. 
The canine one had to be frozen and same day couriered to a specialist lab. Mine couldn’t be taken at any of the local bookable clinics as all their samples go off to a big lab (in Northamptonshire I think). So my test was done at the hospital so it could be processed within an hour. Robbie’s couriered sample was allowed to defrost so he had to provide another sample. He was such a good dog, he used to hold his front leg up so the vet could get to his vein. The vet was surprised as he wouldn’t let her get near his throat to take a sample there. 
Recently I have been having to go to a clinic on Canvey for blood tests as our nearest one couldn’t operate under social distancing rules. My next blood test will be in Basildon a couple of days before my heart procedure.  There will be a COVID and MRSA swab too. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 19