The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back at last, as I've just had too much happening to be able to get on here at all - mucho buying of wallpaper and sticking it to the wall, and trying to get this site to accept my login - which has been a common occurrence on quite a few other sites as well.

So all I can offer is the usual generic greetings, and a hope that I will do better in the future.

I'm off now, as the PC wants to update itself on WIndows.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 18

55 minutes ago, big jim said:

middle of June 2004? 

edit: so glad that was No 1 the week my eldest was born too, there were 2 songs at the top of the charts for 7 weeks prior to that, the first one was called “F**k it” by eamon which was 4 weeks at No1 and the 2nd one was called “F**k you right back” by frankee which was 3 weeks at No1

mario was No1 for a week then Britney Spears took No1 with sometimes 

may least he’s has a pleasant enough song for his birthday, couldn’t see Vanessa playing either of the others on her jolly good fellows birthday slot somehow

25th June 2004  England were knocked out of euro o4 by Portugal before he was born. Swmbo was in labour 32 hours before getting the zip fitted. If he was born a day later Birtney would have been no 1

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

So he’s getting his gcse results next week then, after this weeks farce with the o levels I’m dreading what we’re going to see next week, thankfully he’s already got on an apprenticeship course regardless 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

Experience shows that 75% of students don’t achieve their predicted grades so moderation was always going to be needed; yes, teachers know their pupils but they seem to tend towards generosity- no doubt this is natural;

My Matthew must have been one of the 75%. His predicted grades at the start of the sixth form were 2Es. At the end of the lower sixth 2Ds and a recommendation from college management (not subject tutors) to move to non academic courses. He got 2As a B and a D ( the D was philosophy, his fun option) and managed a B during the upper sixth in AS Economics. Management and the government algorithms can’t cope with individuals. Matthew’s tutors (and we) knew he was significantly under achieving in exams. Once they sorted why this was his grades improved. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nothing much doing outside today, too much wet stuff falling from the sky and it looks like the same tomorrow and for the next few days. I might take some tools into the garage though and measure up and cut and drill some timber. Teas brewed so its be back later.

• Like 16

On 14/08/2020 at 07:54, The Stationmaster said:

've b neb ver seen any of the Nordic crime things apart from a bit of the Wallander one with Branagh in it - I'm more a 'New Tricks' and 'Father Brown' sort of person - and both are now running on the Drama Channel as 'Father Brown' has just resurfaced there replacing 'Death In Paradise

You and me, both!  Only problem over here is that PBS continually reruns the same shows over and over.  The Scandinavian shows are too dark and morbid.  Don't they ever laugh there?

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

The Scandinavian shows are too dark and morbid

We have enjoyed watching "Norsemen" on some cable channel or other.  SWMBO finds these things.  I got confused when we went past four channels :jester: 

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting day in the office. 5 penalty runs to batting side (ball hitting a helmet stored on the floor) then an appealfor an lbw.. not out says I (he had hit the ball), slip takes catch and appeals..the fickle finger of fate was raised!

One team has 4 positive tested players..they did not play this week. Communication from league..zilch. 11 minute stoppage due to rain..Pah!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Evening All,

First Happy Biryhday to Andyram, hope you had a good day.

Not done much today, followed SWMBOs directions (orders). Ended up with Sydney coming for a sleepover which is always a welcome occurrence. Just listened to football on the radio, Manchester City fans  must be gutted at being out of the Champions League but sounded like a pretty gutless performance allied to poor tactics. Looking forwa4d to the GP tomorrow . Managed a bit of shed time , not much but I’m moving things on slowly.

Not really been feeling my best today, balance quite bad and should have taken my stick with me when we took Syd for a walk this afternoon. Felt a bit sick by the time I got home. After pie and chips and a can or cider I felt a bit better. See what tomorrow brings, Goodnight .

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not much to report this evening. Catching up on Farcebook as the amount of traffic on there is back to normal levels. Another pot of tea is brewing (as usual) and is waiting to be poured.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been sunny and warm, getting to around 22C, so a bit cooler than of late. It is started looking a bit dark after tea and we were half expecting thunder and lightning, but that never materialised, it just got very humid instead. 

The lining has been added to the control panel fascia, it’s been painted free hand and I’ve purposely done it slightly over size. This will be left now until next weekend, when I’ll put some 1/8” wide masking tape over the bits I won’t to keep and then apply another couple of coats of white paint. This will once agin be left to dry, before the tape is removed, hopefully leaving behind neater edges. I will then be able to re-fit the fascia and start fitting the LEDs, switches and wiring. 

I’d bought a few LPs second hand from school mates, but the first LP I bought new from a record shop was Fireball by Deep Purple, bought the day it was released, 9th July ‘71, by best mate and I bunked off school early to go and get it. I had an after school and weekend job at a butchers shop and saved some of my wages over a number of weeks to be able to afford it! This was followed by Electric Warrior by T.Rex just before Christmas and The Fog On The Tyne by Lindisfarne the following summer. I lived in a single parent family and so didn’t get spends. Any money I wanted I had to earn, so I had 2 paper rounds until I started working at the butchers. I didn’t earn much and it took a few months to save enough for an LP. Even then I had a bit of an eclectic mix I’m sure you’ll all agree. The only one of these I still have, is the Lindisfarne record, it’s one of my all time favourites. The other 2 were sold on as and when I lost interest in the bands. I’ve seen Lindisfarne play many times, the first time was at Manchester Free Trade Hall, Genesis were the support act, I also saw Deep Purple play there, but T.Rex stopped touring by the time I could afford to buy a ticket. 

Goodnight all 

Brian 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I still have a fair bit of original vinyl and a load of cassettes, the Technics cassette deck is still hooked up to the rest of the hi-fi, much to my son's amusement. I could just about manage watching Ms Minogue with the sound turned off, but would draw the line at listening to her warblings. Indeed I only watched a bit of the Kids Voice tonight because SWMBO pointed out that Pixie Lott wasn't wearing wearing an upper decker flopper stopper and she kept jigging about a lot............

Managed to do some muddling, had the bit at the front that pulls things along to bits, all nicely machined to accept a speaker and some electrickery to make noises like the real thing which could prove handy. Wheels were turned, a smile was found on ones mush and no disasters so all is well.

G'night all

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

A good, almost 7 3/4 hours of near solid sleep, the best for a long time, I needed it. 

There was light intermittent drizzle yesterday,  I'd pick up the drill,  the cardboard box of screws, retreat inside,  then it'd stop..  This morning it's chuckinitdarn, though for this occasion the weather radar indicates it will be short.  The estimated excess precipitation later is forecast to be heavy. 

I too caught a bit of the voice kids yesterday,  it was the shortness of Pixie Lott dress that was unexpected,  I wouldn't be surprised if there children sitting opposite got an interesting view.  The other question is why was Paloma Faith wearing an admittedly non see through nighty?.. 

The weather and various aches and pains, indicate other than some measurements for the change to the alleyway door and a tidy up of yesterdays detritus no work will happen there. 

So today's main work will be sanding the outside of the cockpit combing, followed no doubt by a surface finishing filling.  Then if my arms are up to it,  an intercoat light sand of the deck.

For some reason Ben the normally demanding Collie is lying in his bed showing no interest in wanting out. I suspect that will change when the wet stuff departs. 

Thought of breakfast commence,  but first 

Time for a Muggacoffee. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hmm Ben dragged me out,  for a patrol, it had stopped raining,  after a while he suddenly ran back to the house, we came in,  then the heavens opened,   clever doggy perfect timing... 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1