The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, BokStein said:

At least Salvo understands the English etiquette and good manners!

Of course one doesn’t speak with one’s mouth full - this is a given across all cultures (at least for a well bred person), what does change  Is the minor etiquette. For example, in Japan it is considered perfectly acceptable to slurp one’s noodles, Yet it is completely unacceptable to eat in the street (except at the outside counters and tables of restaurants and the like).

The subtleties of etiquette across the world are quite fascinating; for example, in Japan (and I believe also in China) it is considered insulting to your host to take your chopsticks and rub them across each other (like Harrison Ford did before eating his noodles at the beginning of Blade Runner).  The reason being, very cheap disposable chopsticks were/are often roughly finished and you would rub the chopsticks against each other to remove any splinters or rough edges. To do so when invited to a meal by somebody, would imply that your host or hostess was being cheap and mean by giving you poor quality chopsticks.

8 hours ago, andyram said:

... The comments by iL-D are correct the people in question have even less experience of fostering than us. However, the decision is similar to the one we had taken anyway...

Cynicism never disappoints, Andy.:D

However, it is reassuring to learn that the decision made by this “desk wallah” was in fact the right one for you. Too many times, decisions are made that bear but faint resemblance to the problems they are supposed to address. Anyway, much luck to you for the future.

I recently came across a rather intriguing (and also appealing) piece of modern day slang: “the mangie”, a term to describe the professional managerial class that whilst completely unable to do anything useful, can do “management”. Surprisingly, the “professional managerial class“ has been the subject of serious study since the 1970s. One of the contentions made from this research is that “the mangies” are now the new ruling elite. Politicians may bluster and pontificate, but it’s really the mangies just below them that rule the country (and not just in the UK). With their shared, self interested, assumptions, their love of torturous ideology and their willingness to jump onto any bandwagon in order to protect their own cushy little livelihoods, the average mangie makes the famous Sir Humphrey look like the very model of flexibility, reason, compromise  and adaptability. To repeat (and mangle) Madame de Stahl’s famous words “the more I see of men, the more I love my dogs (and bears)“

It is certainly pleasing to hear that little Grace is doing better and I hope that her recovery, slow as it may be, will be completely uneventful and completely successful. I am keeping the appropriate digits crossed.

It’s quite sobering, and yet at the same time reassuring, to observe that even as few as 10 years ago little Grace will would not have had the same chance for a full recovery as she has today. Which is yet another reason why we should support the advance of scientific medicine and reject the antiscience, ignorant and incoherent pronunciations of the anti-vaxxers, clean living extremists and others of that ilk.

Off to have another muggacoffee, then into the kitchen to prep for tonight (Mrs iD has invited people.....)

iD

p.s. Before I forget, Happy Birthday Andy

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring again,  shortly after my previous missive Ben the I want out Collie appeared, when let out he went running off down the garden.  Then a few minutes later came running back, looking very happy. 

I notice on TV adverts have started appearing for a home share dealing app, one of the causes of a great many people loosing money during the Great Depression was a huge increase in the public dealing in shares. The timing seems somewhat worrying. 

The governments were on a hiding to nothing with the school exam situation. We all know from when we were at school, teachers are extremely variable,  some will be very hard on pupils assessments, some teachers extremely  easy  and  some hard or easy on those they hate or love.  Reports from Scotland of situations where the teacher assessment for the entire class was an impossible A's all round, do nothing for the situation.. 

Ben has now had his normal patrol,  it's  dull with a hint of dampness from the sky, the grass jungle  hasn't yet reacted to yesterday's wet,  I'm sure it will do soon the next couple of days. 

Time for breakfast... 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a damp and dreary Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Andy, it doesn't seem that long ago that it was my 45th birthday but that was more than 27 years ago! Fingers still crossed for baby Grace and hope the improvement carries on. Our exhibition at the end of October still hasn't been officially cancelled yet, but its extremely doubtful that it will go ahead. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning to all, It's sunny here. Happy Birthday to Andy.

My first LP was Abbey Road by The Beatles and I still have that copy. Bought 50 years ago spending my wages from my holiday job at the creamery.

Teenage radio was a very crackly Luxembourg and of course Caroline North which was moored just off Fraggle Rock, listened to on an Alba Tranny via an earphone.

Not a lot on the agenda today except the ironing. However  we had a good night quizzing and won again. Pooling our winnings from last time with last nights meant that we only paid €2.70 each for a meal, drinks and the quiz.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull, dismal and damp on the ground but not raining at the moment.

Belated birthday greetings to Andy.

Rugby watched and enjoyed last night although it was a bit scrappy with lots of penalties.    A mixture of rustiness after 5 months layoff and the ref tightening up on the laws of the game.  Good (and correct) result though.  There are 4 matches today but not sure if they're all on the box.  I will watch what I can (Boss permitting! :rolleyes_mini:) and record the rest.

My first album was The Shadows Greatest Hits bought in 1963.  It's still in the loft with some other old vinyls but the sleeve is very "weathered" and unfortunately there's a dirty great scratch across about 3 tracks.

We are due to entertain friends in the garden this evening but I think this may well be cancelled as thunderstorms are forecast.  I'm told "we need to make a decision this morning."  

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
Speelink
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Morning, from a rather dark and dank NE Scotland, at least it's cooler. Happy Birthday Andyram and all those celebrating something good wishes. Still eerily quiet alongside the ECML and there still is an air of can't quite believe it, Stonehaven is I am told a sombre place just now.

My first LP's(I had 2 for Christmas) were the Rolling Stones first album and On Campus by John Lee Hooker, my first single was Come On by the Rolling Stones, bought with my paper round money, five shillings which was a weeks wage for me lol.

No plans for the weekend, as it is cooler I might venture out to The Old Summer House and see if things are all ok in the world of parallel bits of metal, stay safe all.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning All,

Dont usually post so early but can’t get my ar$e in gear this morning. Already had my 2nd coffee which I usually have mid morning. Waiting for today’s duties.

First record I got was , ‘Come on Eileen’ by Dexys Midnight Runners. Probably still got it somewhere. First album was  Autoamercan by Blondie which was on cassette.

SWMBO is stirring so better make a more.

Robert

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It must have rained overnight as the garden looks damp. It is very overcast now.  
The weather app suggests it will rain in 10 minutes from now.

Our strong white bread flour arrived from Wiltshire a few days ago so there will be some nice white bread for toast this morning. Also various other types of white flour were ordered so there could be cakes too soon.

One of  Aditi’s French Circle committee colleagues wants to join in the Zoom meeting and wants some advice about setting up her Apple Mac. Aditi has volunteered which means she has to find out too. My contribution is to put Aditi‘s Mac Air on to charge and then keep an eye on it as it updates.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A sunny start to the day here in the northwest of England. A little bit late out of bed this morning but it is Saturday! Currently sat in the workshop about to start working on the turntable control panel, painting the lines on the fascia that will represent the track formation. 

Happy birthday Andy 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I am also betraying my age in saying that I actually can’t remember the first LP/album I bought (I think that it was Pink Floyd‘s Dark Side of The Moon), I do, however, remember the first proper 45 that I bought: it was Mary Hopkins singing “Those Were The Days“ on the now-defunct Apple label.

You are betraying your age ID. many a teenage lad dreamed of Ms Hopkin.  She was in the charts when I bought the Alba Tranny I mentioned above.  Not sure if the word Tranny has the same meaning nowadays.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Funny 9

Afternoon all

First album i bought was Kylie her first one in the 80s

Kylie was no1 (the one where. She was deployed into that dress) when I first met my Mrs

Dido was no1 when we got married 

P daddy and enya and Mario winans were no 1 when eldest born

Im

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,  I think the first album I bought was Rick wakeman's "journey to the centre of the earth " about 76, on cassette. I've got the revised version on CD,  but I prefer the original. Never bought too many vinyl Albums,  too much moving around in my life. 

I certainly didn't buy albums while still at school, a single cost weeks pocket money... 

Rick now lives about 40 miles from here.. 

Oddly SWMBO yesterday found my box of cassettes,  in the first round of, sort thing out before playing musical rooms.. So I now need to sort through them all find out if any are OK and if they are, transfer them onto the NAS disk. 

Well it took just under 6 hour to clad the underside of the eaves overhang. By the end of that I was getting very tired and making mistakes. So I've not continued and done the front face today. 

I'm now lying on the bed straightening my painful back , reaching up above my head to screw on the panels did my back no good at all. 

It was decided during a Muggacoffee coffee that the entrance to the alley way will be revised, so when I  do the front face of the eaves I have to allow  for extending in that direction. 

I think its time for an ocular observation. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mario winans were no 1 when eldest born

middle of June 2004? 

edit: so glad that was No 1 the week my eldest was born too, there were 2 songs at the top of the charts for 7 weeks prior to that, the first one was called “F**k it” by eamon which was 4 weeks at No1 and the 2nd one was called “F**k you right back” by frankee which was 3 weeks at No1

mario was No1 for a week then Britney Spears took No1 with sometimes 

may least he’s has a pleasant enough song for his birthday, couldn’t see Vanessa playing either of the others on her jolly good fellows birthday slot somehow

Edited by big jim
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is raining again and where there is damp washing around the house as it is too muggy to dry.

re A levels; I suspect that the powers that be are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Experience shows that 75% of students don’t achieve their predicted grades so moderation was always going to be needed; yes, teachers know their pupils but they seem to tend towards generosity- no doubt this is natural; whether the algorithm was the best is something we cannot be sure but it is what we have got . The students actually have more chance to appeal than in a normal year and that is something that we may well look to take advantage of for Elder Lurker; there was no such chance when he didn’t do as predicted by his school for GCSEs.

happy birthday to Andyram; I hope that year 46 is a positive one for him.

the snooker is on the telly; they’ve just shown part of the Ebdon-Hendry final. Mrs Lurker was heavily pregnant with Elder Lurker at the time and we ended up watching quite a bit of it; doesn’t seem like 18 years ago though!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1