The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Yes that and the lack of tourist attractions. Not counting the slag heaps old pit sites and the like. We dont even have dark satanic mills 

Although you do get a lovely view from the castle of the ski slope in Cas Vegas. There is also the fuhrerbunker (hepworth gallery) in Wakefield. we have a lot of pubs still filled with never do wells.

The castle has had a lot of work done i used to take rolo the dachshund up there often before my current breakdown. Richard II had a not too good stay. We do have a (civil) war damaged church with a unique double helix staircase to the belfry

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

She has a brother who is only just over one (oops!) so such things are already well in hand!  Dad Steve likes trains anyway, so its a given. We're so proud of them, Steve had a hard start in life but has really come good, put himself through Uni to Masters level, worked two jobs while studying etc - and now is carving a career in design.  Sarah just qualified MA in Psychology last year as the breeding programme started, we're bursting with pride.  Overloaded with babies as my Daughter had a little girl 4 months ago too.  Bad time to become unemployed, my wallet is getting emptied in all directions!

Obviously has the ability to multitask. Or too much time on his hands i suggest a larger tv

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Congrats to NHN on the latest addition to his extended family.

Southampton doesn't really have grockles as such, but the city centre on a hot summers day gets an influx of mainly young people from the estates, suburbs and the surrounding area. I was in town yesterday and for the female of that species short shorts and microskirts seemed to be in order.  If all those legs were laid end to end I wouldn't be at all surprised. 

Getting a new kitchen in early March  resulted in a review of appliances.  The dishwasher (john Lewis) was 13 years old and not performing well, so we got a new one, a built in Zanussi.  The Bosch washing machine was about 17 years old and working fine, but the inlet valve was leaking.  Mrs mole didn't want to get rid but the hassle of repairing a machine with an unknown life expectancy led me to replace it with another, similar,  Bosch while she was in NZ.  Cooker Hob and oven were new with the kitchen.  The fridge freezer is about 10 and was in her trailer when she was living in it.  Tumble drier is John Lewis again, about 12 and works fine but we don't use it much.

I've stayed in today, unusually for a weekday, as I have things to do that I've been neglecting  and didn't actually need any shopping.  Normally I'd go out anyway for a change of scene and atmosphere but Mrs mole is away near Tewkesbury at a camp for Old Time musicians, playing socially-distanced fiddle.   So far I've done some ebay listings.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We dont have grockles here we have enough with the natives 

My memory of your town was that there were a fair few numpties.

Congratulations  to great Uncle Neil and Great Aunt Debs.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Temperature indoors lunchtime was 28.5 C. so I put the fan on. Temperature now is 29 C. though the output from the fan feels a lot cooler. Time to put the dinner on, using the microwave so not adding too much to the heat.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

My memory of your town was that there were a fair few numpties.

Congratulations  to gretvUncle Neil and Great Aunt Debs.

Jamie

Yes more than a fair few, although I worked in Airedale until recently and that is an eye opener

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Yes more than a fair few, although I worked in Airedale until recently and that is an eye opener

At least it's not South Heindley they don't have many picnics there, they're so many sandwiches short.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Hope things are ok Neil.

No thunder and lightning ..a couple of small rain patches before we started..then it was just hot..albeit with a cooling breeze. Game played in an excellent manner.

Drive to and from Masham was good but...no brewing at the moment at Black Sheep. .pah!

Totally worn to a frazz so I may have an early night

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

I haven’t been online much lately, as I have been very very busy with what is below. ...snip..

Glad to see you back, I was a little concerned as you used to post quite a bit.  I never got an interest in the "home boiler" stuff although I do remember seeing the German(?) copper-colored ones in some toy stores.

7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

...snip...  It is a circa 1924 Weeden Mfg Co live steam engine and boiler. ...snip...

Weeden also made live steam trains:

weeden.jpg.15d39c1e6e308bba92bbc21696cdd87c.jpg

Not sure of the scale (if any) but here is one in action, look for a post by Leonard Carey Williams called Weeden Dart in action (currently first at the top):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1682530491833951/

That thing move out, I suspect that if there is a throttle, it is a set-and-forget.

These kind of educational "toys" would (could?) not be easily sold today; the product liability shysters er, lawyers would be all over them like flies on

strawberry jam!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add/change some comments
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Temperature has still only dropped a single degree. Had to sort out the easy chair, it broke! Not really surprised as its frame was getting loose. Its now residing on the patio waiting for a one way trip to the tip. Luckily I have a replacement, a folding directors chair thats also more comfortable. The old chair was about 25 years old so its done pretty well. Tea has brewed so its be back later time. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

...snip... Had to sort out the easy chair, it broke! Not really surprised as its frame was getting loose. Its now residing on the patio waiting for a one way trip to the tip.

If it is in otherwise decent shape, could not the frame be fixed? I have a wood rocker (currently in pieces :() that belonged to my grandmother and I do need to glue the chair back together. Someday!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a grammer error.
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

If it is in otherwise decent shape, could not the frame be fixed? I have a wood rocker (currently in pieces :() that belonged to my grandmother that I need to glue back together. Someday!

Not really. Its a wooden frame held together by bolts tightened by an Allen key. The holes for the bolts have opened up and the bolts will not tighten. Also the leather upholstery is torn in a few places. I was going to replace it anyway.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Evening All,

Not been on here much today with working but do realise Neil has had a traumatic day so thoughts with him and his family. Puts my problems into perspective.
Other than work not much else achieved, only watering the garden. That was my last scheduled shift but I think more/revised SOPS are needed. Oh joy, my favourite pass time. Wait no, my favourite pastime is getting people to follow the SOPs.

Been outside since tea as house is a bit on the unbearable side as it’s been closed up for most of the day. Just got in and can tell it’s going to be a sleepless night.

Anyway, Goodnight All,

Robert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Bit more progress happening, the engine is going into a diorama with a old bathroom fan motor ( @J. S. Bach might remember it) as a dynamo. Said dynamo, (if it works, which I know it won’t) will power a Lionel gooseneck streetlamp. Said streetlamp will be purely for cosmetic purposes, except in the off chance an AC motor decides to function as a dynamo. 

DD87C7C6-AF83-489A-BF55-99C1F9D3575F.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1