The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

........and the washing machine is less than 5 years old, but if you age it by it’s usage, then it’s probably well over 15 years old! It’s probably used on average, I kid you not, 3 - 4 times a DAY, sometimes even more!

:o:O Jeez....I don't fancy your leccy bill one bit.  Or the washing powder/liquid bill........

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Many of our older items have a second life with the offspring. Dyson, microwave (16 years of good service), slow cooker, toaster, kettle.........

In other news. Still waiting for the council to make a decision on next door becoming an HMO. 11 objections noted including 2 of the 4 local councillors. Just spotted the planning lady wandering about, so something is afoot. Update: she left rather miffed as the developer never showed up for his inspection appointment.

You had a Dyson that lasted long enough to give it away still working?  That's got to be a first.

As for the Planning Lady and her wasted appointment - oh good, p1ssing off the planning dept. is never a good idea. :lol:

Spent the morning stripping out an ikea kitchen unit in the railway room - it contained a desktop pc (still running on xp), an ancient HP laserjet printer (serial port...) that'll print 4000 pages off one cartridge (apparently) and a scanner.  Like many people I've been using laptops for years (and still have the last one in the wardrobe as a spare) so the desktop just doesn't get used from one year to the next.  Whilst I had to wrestle with the idea of getting shot of it (it's basically worthless as a financial asset - they often sell for 99p on ebay.....)  the time has come where I've realised the space will come in useful.  All I need to do is block how much it cost originally out of my mind.....

There's a good chance that the pc and printer will end up on Freecycle (Freegle), less Hard Drive of course - for security reasons and also since it'll come in useful as an external drive for back-up storage.  Last time I looked it seemed that the scanner may well be worth listing on the 'bay.

Now then, repeat after me:  "I don't need it, it's not worth anything, I can't remember what it cost, I don't need it, it's not worth....."

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is once again sizzling; we successfully managed a trip in to London, a ride on the London Eye and lunch in a restaurant by County Hall. It was not very busy but I am glad I do not have to commute in every day in face coverings. It was good to actually do something with my time off and we felt quite safe. And I guess there is an element of use it or lose it!

today is another non work day but it is too hot to be bothered to do much!

appliances; the main kitchen fridge, freezer, and dishwasher are all built in to the kitchen which was here when we moved in about 16 1/2 years ago. I guess they are all around 29 years ago. We also have a second freezer which I bought in 1998. The ‘beer fridge’ is around 3 years ago and replaced one which I had had since around 1990. The washing machine is around 5 years old and is the one thing that we have had to replace/ repair several times over the years. The cooker is, like the rest of the kitchen, inherited with the house and so is around 20 years ago; it is an apparently obscure make, Lofra, and according to the man who cleaned and sourced a part for the oven door hinge of a much better build quality than the current equivalents. The microwave is about the same age as Younger Lurker as we bought it to warm his milk...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The rain I mentioned this morning might as well not have happened. The only evidence of its passing is its even more humid. I'm hoping for a downpour so that I can check the new shed for leaks. I also forgot the old vacuum cleaner that I use for cleaning up after drilling and cutting, such things as brick dust and sawdust. Tea is brewing so its be back later.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, we had the two young grandsons visit yesterday, made for a perfect day apart from the 5 year old thrashing me at tennis, what really hurt was the comment "grandad you're as bad as grandma"....................

I've been doing a lot more on the family tree, having hit nobility there is a heck of a lot written and I was ploughing on back in time past a grandad who came over in 1066 with Bill the bosher, but now have come to a bit of a halt. Cerdic the King of Wessex came over from Saxony and along with Queen Withgar seem to be difficult to follow back any further, so a birth date of circa 460 AD is far back as I can go on this blood line, I shall see if I can find any other offshoots to follow.

That must be a fantastic family tree you've got there, I can only trace one branch back to the 1530's on my family tree. Mind you that includes a couple of ancestors who would be millionaires by todays measurements and a spy.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I'm not tempting fate by giving out the various ages of our domestic appliances.

The only one we have trouble getting to work properly is 23 years old.

Junior NB.

• Like 9
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/08/2020 at 10:44, tigerburnie said:

I too watched the Bond film, boy Roger Moore was a proper wooden actor by todays standards, preferred him as the Saint.

The Sid is a funny old river, I was told it is the only one in England that flows to the sea, but doesn't make contact as it flows through the shingle at the back of the "Ham"(is the Horse and Groom still there, it was my local when I lived there).

Ah, the Horse and Groom.  Long gone, I'm afraid.  As I recall it had a skittle alley which was just the right size for some of the smaller concerts.

Chris

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning all,

I haven’t been online much lately, as I have been very very busy with what is below. It is a circa 1924 Weeden Mfg Co live steam engine and boiler. I bought it off eBay about a month ago, and have been cosmetically restoring it. If you want to know about the restoration, a small part is over on HH’s Night Mail, but most is on the Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum. I’ll post a link if anybody wants a boring read. :D

This morning the engine ran for the first time in over 15 years, admittedly with a leak from the cylinder cap, but it ran very well none the less. Here’s a video. There are also some photos showing the before and after. 

4034FF60-D05B-4697-8130-CAA61640AEA1.png

5A15180C-5B64-4B25-B2DE-45863651016B.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, we had the two young grandsons visit yesterday, made for a perfect day apart from the 5 year old thrashing me at tennis, what really hurt was the comment "grandad you're as bad as grandma"....................

snip...

I gave you a " :laugh: " as one who is a grandma of two young granddaughters....on the other end of that comment....

not sure which is worse...

fight among yourselves, if you must.... :D

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Almost forgot, no news on the abandoned puppies found in Rochford but here's a pic of one.

image.png.844aba8911092e5b3e450b4f5bcb2016.png

Found on the Shopland Road I believe. Even locals don’t believe there is really a place called Shopland. There is a campsite there where one of the visiting lecturers for Aditi’s French Circle stayed overnight. She had to go and collect him as his motor home wouldn’t have been able to park in the Leigh Town Hall car park. It wasn’t a fun trip (dark and winding roads) though he may have been more terrified as Aditi said he seemed to be a nervous passenger. 
Tony

• Like 16

I have a hoover constellation in my garage goodness knows how old it is. My Grandad found it in the loft of my parents first house sometime in the mid 70s he repaired the motor and it has run sweet as a nut since i dont use it now in anger but it is afun thing it is spherical 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I remember the constellation,  hoover,  just looked it up,  first produced 1954 and in the UK through to the 1980s, then they did a retro rerun 2006 -2009.

Driving back today,  Cockwomble and grockle mainia.

And of grockles I mentioned them on another forum and two people went full on PC indignation, " you can't go calling people grockles" well. I left them to It and came back a couple of hours later to find others were making lists of alternative names for grockles . Here's a few.. 

Holiday Makers, Izzerts, Punters, Trippers, lobsters, Effin clowns,  furriners. 

That unofficial mamod forum sounds interesting I'm off for a peruse. 

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, TheQ said:

On a visit to TES and Co,  All I can say,  is ...

I wouldn't let my daughter go out undressed like that... 

What makes you suppose that if you were in her parent's position you would have any authority on the question?

• Agree 11
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

We had a nice train set photo sent to us the other day. My nieces decided they would like to get their Dad’s trainset working. It was probably used 40 years ago but packed away 30 years ago when the family lived in Nottingham.  BiL Raj said he found all his Dad’s notes and diagrams on how to connect everything. Being a medical family all the Triang-Hornby and HM Clipper unit were packed in a box originally containing Pap smear kits. The layout was clearly based on a track plan of a couple of  second and third radius ovals with sidings etc in the middle. Maya ( age 8 ) probably bases her train knowledge on Thomas the Tank Engine  but seemed to be creating a train of a Black tank engine, two car transporters  and a brake van. 

• Like 17

52 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have a hoover constellation in my garage goodness knows how old it is... i dont use it now in anger but it is a fun thing it is spherical 

They hover too, on their efflux. Now, in that part of WGC where I lived, there was a major affectation of imparting the neo-Georgian look by having a round window facing the street. Uniquely, the mother of my long ago school friend Gerald, failed to observe her running constellation - temporarily laid aside -  hover off the top step of the stairs and - magically as we now comprehend - bouncing down those stairs before scoring a quidditch goal through the round window, ending up in the front garden.

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That must be a fantastic family tree you've got there, I can only trace one branch back to the 1530's on my family tree. Mind you that includes a couple of ancestors who would be millionaires by todays measurements and a spy.

That's exceptional. From what cousin Kees has determined of our Dutch/Frisian/Scandi background, there's sufficient desperadoes to fill all the world's prisons. Of course, what they were doing was perfectly not unlawful at the time, usually; or they were heroic freedom fighters taking on the wicked Spanish oppressors, probably with some financial benefit foremost in their motivation: always commercial, where's the profit in this then?

On a happier note, two of the more respectable are in Rembrandt's 'De Staalmeesters'. As an experiment after my wife first met 'the family' we went on to the Rijksmuseum, and she picked out without prompting the likenesses. It's such a rare thing for ordinary folk to see their forebears from hundreds of years past, what's the chance that firstly such a picture was made and survives, and secondly to have family members in it, and most of all by an artist of such acuity. (Funnily enough one of the preparatory sketches is superior to the painting for likeness.)

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternonn all,

Congratulation uncle Neil, aunty Debs, and cousin (?) Donk.  Yet again it is ruddy hot - it was just a smidgeon ob ver 30C in our front porch late this morning but now the sun has moved round it's down to 26C.  The walk to & from the surgery was no fun, especially coming back up the hill and I doubt I'd have arrived home any wetter if the heavens had opened - they still haven't. A susbequent Tesco visit wasn't so bad as i sat oin the vcar park in the Good Doctor mobile with the aircon doing its stuff although i understand it was quite cool inside the shop.

Most of our domestic appliances are 13 years old because they were obtained at a suitable reduction from the kitchen suppliers.  The only awkward one has been the fridge which has thrown several electronic wobblies and now has a new circuit board,  The tumble drier was replaced a few years ago but as the one that went had been originally purchased by Mrs Stationmaster many years before she met me I think it was a well deserved retirement after over 40 years service.  Plenty of our kitchen utensils are as old as our marriage, or older, and the main Magimix h has managed over 30 years although it has had one part renewed because of wear through use - fortunately Magimix has excellent spares and service support so you never really need to throw one away, just get the worn out bits replaced (not unhandy for us as they have a spares and service agent not far from Farnham so a relatively pleasant trip to get there but a horrible temptation to spend money once you've arrived.  Flavio would love it because the agent also sells Magimix professional items as well, so b very impressive items on display in their little waiting room area).    i think our main consumption has been toasters but the one we have now is a brand where spare parts for just about all of it are also readily obtainable.

Plumber is attending on Thursday which should be 'an interesting time' but at least this one knows what he's doing (usually).

Enjoy the rest of your day folks and stay safe.  Talking of which it seems we have a pretty tame lot of grockles round here - or maybe in their case dad really doesn't allow them out if they're wearing 'that'?

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

This afternoon I have mostly been becoming a great uncle again.  Niece Grace arrived this morning, both well.  Father kicked out of the ward 2 hours after birth and not allowed back.

Congrats Neil, Christmas's just got a whole lot more expensive.:o

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1