The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Many years ago I was on a night cross-channel ferry to Rotterdam and got to chatting to a chap in the bar. After a while he said that he had to go down to the lorry deck to check the refrigeration unit on his truck. I asked him what he was carrying and he replied that it was tons (can't remember the amount) of maggots. I was surprised at this to say the least and he told me that there were only a handful of firms that were licensed to breed and export maggots, his being one of them. Apparently in Europe there were virtually none so most of the maggots used there were exported from the U.K. Whether this is still the case I don't know. He said that if the refrigeration unit wasn't working properly he would end up with a lorry load of bluebottles rather than maggots. At first I was sceptical, thinking that his story was a wind-up but he assured me that it was true.

Dave

We used to buy bait in Ireland from a maggot farmer, he used to send a container full to France, apparently they fed the chickens on them..............I had the Pork whilst I was in Paris.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Just back from a foray into Chichester; biggest hold up (approx 3/4 mile) on the way in was the roundabout on the A27 where the road to The Witterings turns off. I would refer to lemmings, but, apparently, they have been inaccurately represented by some Mickey Mouse organisation!

Came back through the city with no hold-ups; even the station's level crossing was open to cars!

Given the mix of roads used in the 35 mile round trip, my car had a good opportunity to 'stretch her legs' although, I admit, my driving technique was a little short of 'fuel efficient'! Recently, she has only been given the throttle when passing cyclists as quickly and as safely as possible.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

It took about 3 hours to complete waterproofing the MhRC,  much more pleasant conditions today,  as Ben the happy Collie thought,  he sat bolt upright in the sun,  facing the breeze coming down the garden, from the North Sea,   mouth open.. 

A celebratory can of cider,  was accompanied with the sounds of birds singing,  and thundering combine harvesters which are still rumbling up and down.... An hour was spent clearing the wreckage left over from the construction work.

Left to do is the trim which I'll do next weekend, I need a few more bits and pieces first though.. 

Many grokle cars trundling up and down,  quite a few on bicycles, having to dodge tractors with trailer loads of grain. 

Tomorrow more boat work.. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Talking of masks, I understand the need for them (despite all the contradictory info some monthes ago) and understand that many in key roles have to wearall the time  them but after various comments from a few I wont be posting on here so much as it now makes me feel like a moaner despite just expressing my views on them. I hugley respect those that do have to wear them all day but I just feel that any comment on them is not worth posting.

I just feel that  we cant be so open on our feelings these days even on here.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I was hoping to get a few bits sorted today but I've remained indoors due to hay fever. I've never had it this late in the year before. Managed to sort out a few more bits for the shed including a padlock clasp. Time for dinner, be back later. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Talking of masks, I understand the need for them (despite all the contradictory info some monthes ago) and understand that many in key roles have to wearall the time  them but after various comments from a few I wont be posting on here so much as it now makes me feel like a moaner despite just expressing my views on them. I hugley respect those that do have to wear them all day but I just feel that any comment on them is not worth posting.

I just feel that  we cant be so open on our feelings these days even on here.

I find them uncomfortable to wear and needing to wear glasses they do make the glasses steam up and stops the glasses from sitting as they should affecting vision. I won't therefore wear one when driving in fact I will only wear a mask in indoor spaces such as shops.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Round our way there's seats round walks placed in memory of someone.

Down here it's a bit different
HelfordSeatPlaque.png.70453a7dd573677396d0be26eb492da9.png

This sort of seat came to mind:-

image.png.90ed3ef56e85db5e1f3a94b5a7f8c5e6.png

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

13 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Round our way there's seats round walks placed in memory of someone.

Down here it's a bit different
HelfordSeatPlaque.png.70453a7dd573677396d0be26eb492da9.png

Have you found the Shipwright’s then?

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Yes

Didn't go in

Shipwrights.png

You don’t need to go inside, there is (or certainly was) lots of outside seating. Or you can sit on the sea wall at the edge of the garden. Looks like lovely weather you’re having.

Edited by pH
  • Like 11

24 minutes ago, pH said:

You don’t need to go inside, there is (or certainly was) lots of outside seating. Or you can sit on the sea wall at the edge of the garden. Looks like lovely weather you’re having.

Yes, and that was fully, if not over, occupied.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Too right Chris too many have fought and died for the right of free speech amongst other rights and freedoms. Everybody is entitled to an opinion some like GWR some Lner some steam some diesel. Sadly the great principle of free speech is sadly been eroded by people who do not like opinion other than their own. 

So Roundhouse please moan about masks they are terrible thingd but sadly part of life 

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Please don't let the mask debate go too far as it does sometimes in this country.  Guns have been drawn on occasions and worse.  Speech is not free in the sense to be able to say what you like, already the English language is being abused by some who feel it is their right to annoy others.  Better to stay within the societal norms that we practice on sites such as this as most have seen the results of those less well moderated.

Brian.:)

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has stayed quiet today but the eczema flared up. A wipe with a cold wet flannel and a liberal application of aqueous cream seems to ease it considerably. Now for some tea which is brewing nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has stayed quiet today but the eczema flared up. A wipe with a cold wet flannel and a liberal application of aqueous cream seems to ease it considerably. Now for some tea which is brewing nicely.

Thanks for reminding me  - not had the problem for so long that the reason for the scratching had completely slipped my mind.  As a youngster had to have mittens - like handcuffs for bedtime.

• Friendly/supportive 12