The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

5.5 hours sleep so far,  but that doesn't include 1.5 hours extended eyelid inspection earlier. This explains why I'm not that tired at stupid o'clock this morning. I will try for more shortly.. 

Plans for today more MhRC roof repairing. 

Time to,  errr I'm..  Not do a lot. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Spent so e time being frozen todeath on the cricket pitch at Harrogate yestersay A "friendly" game? Wel 9ne of the Lancashire players decided he doesn't need to heedthe words of the umpire. I enquired after his knowledge of the laws.. of which he had very little. Ione of the other players gave the other (their umpire) a bit of verbals ..and he came over to ask what we should do... a first.. we decided a little discussion with the captain was necessary..after the game my colleague said it was nice that I was so supportive.....

Sad. Cricket used to be one of the few sports where the umpires were given proper respect. I suppose we all remember Mike Gatting and an incident that changed international cricket forever as neutral umpires were appointed, many of them not very good. Having a third TV umpire in major games has also reduced the authority of and respect for the umpire on the pitch.

Sad too that the other umpire was not expecting you to be 100% supportive. What have things come to?

I think that at most levels of cricket, it is not satisfactory for umpires to be officiating their "own team". In this cynical age, people do not think that they will umpire neutrally (I recall encountering this nearly 20 years ago). Each club should nominate umpires to the league and those umpires should then umpire other clubs' matches. A club that can not supply an umpire should have points deducted. This is how it is done in some rugby competitions (note how I avoided the word "league" there). Not perfect but works reasonably well.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Any one else getting the advert for the "worlds best balls trimmer" along the right hand side of the page..............................................what the *!*?

Sadly, as a "Gold" member, that privilege is denied me.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. 

<Rant mode on>

A sashay onto faceachebook earlier revealed the latest quiz doing the rounds with academics, designed to extract their personal details. And how willingly they were playing. Why do supposedly intelligent people fall for this? 

I'm busy write a quiz for them....

"Write a 16-letter sequence that best describes your bank account number. A=1, B=2......"

<Rant mode off>

Chrisf to save you emailing stuff on your phone to your computer for printing I believe there's a print app.

I know this to be true because whenever I need something printed I send it to my daughter's phone who switches on the printer, puts paper in it, replaces any low-ink cartridges, presses a button on her phone to "print", collates the papers and hands them to me. I believe there's a similar app for scanning. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Any one else getting the advert for the "worlds best balls trimmer" along the right hand side of the page..............................................what the *!*?

Local vasectomy clinic?

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Elswhere, someone was complaining that they mostly got two types of advert. The first for a medication to prevent snoring so their wife could get a good night’s sleep. (Can you guess what’s coming next?)  The second for a different type of medicine designed to prevent his wife getting that good night’s sleep.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Yet again another night where we’ve had rain falling, thankfully it isn’t raining now, but looking at the forecast we may have some later. So, there may or may not be cricket played at Old Trafford today, meanwhile, I might attempt a little gardening this morning, but if rain stops play (see what I did there) I’ll return to working in the cellar, as I still have the control panel to paint. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning Debs.. 

As it happens @Joseph_Pestell over 50, over 60 and over 70 county rep teams all take their own Umpire.  It is only neutral umpires when they move to semifinals and finals.of the League knock out rounds.

It does work ok..

Baz

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thoughts are with the citizens of Beirut this morning. It appears that it is an accident, there was a fire in or near the warehouse where the ammonium nitrate was stored. The G word beckons, only zapping a few weeds, I've decided that the new shed can wait until this evening when its a bit cooler. It stands on the patio which faces almost due south and can get a bit warm in the sunshine so I'll wait until its cooler. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not surprisingly, our weather is the same as NHN’s over the water.  Wet, wild and windy, and more suited to late autumn than summer.  I emptied a bucket a couple of days ago, and it now has two inches of rain water in, so it has been very wet.

I have been using some of the water out of the new water butt to fill our old disused oil tank.  The oil had all been emptied out, so I plan to use the tank as a water store for the dry (!?!?!?!) spells next summer.  As the tank still smells of oil, I plan to fill it with water, so that any residual oil can be floated off, then empty it again before refilling with clean water.  As the tank  capacity is 2500 litres, this will take a while.  At present the tank filling is being down manually, but I plan to buy a suitable pump to fill it from the water butts, and also hopefully the use the same pump when watering the garden.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1