The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Occasionally you'll get someone illegally shooting at night (" lamping" as they call it) ,  but not for long as it attracts the attention of the farmers whoes land they are on. 

Lamping is not illegal.

It is a perfectly acceptable method of pest control, especially for those who cannot afford the prices of the night vision systems available from shooting suppliers.

(I have an IR system for ratting in buildings.)

However, to shoot legally, it has got to be carried out with the permission of the landowner (or tenant if the land is leased).

Poaching, which is shooting without permission, whether with or without a lamp is illegal. Which is why the farmer rightly get very angry.

I have quite a few acres over which I have permission to shoot, and if we are going out at night it's always worth letting the neighbours around the shoot know we are out and about.  The same goes for letting the police know.

It's much better to get checked on by the local area car rather than a full blown alert involving an ARV.

• Like 15
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I'm hearing gunshots outside now!! :(

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I hear them quite frequently; this area is rural and there is a small (handgun?) range a short distance away. :music_mini:

That reminds me of when I visited a friend in rural Connecticut many years ago. I was awoken by gunshots in the local woods and my friend informed me that it was the start of the deer shooting season. He also told me that there was often fatalities due to hunters mistaking other hunters for deer. The target species was white tail deer and many of the shooting accidents occurred when people emulated what the bears did in the woods. Camouflage toilet paper was very popular.:jester::hunter:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis went to sleep last night so so did I. He made a bit of a fuss this morning but then was quiet. Hopefully as its cooler I can get on with the sorting of the sheds. A wooden storage box that was in the old shed will provide some of the shelving in the new shed. The box is of tongue and groove construction and rotten in places due to the damp but it looks as if some of the boards are recoverable, they are just the right size to make shelves for the new shed. Now to get started (after another muggatee).

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That reminds me of when I visited a friend in rural Connecticut many years ago. I was awoken by gunshots in the local woods and my friend informed me that it was the start of the deer shooting season. He also told me that there was often fatalities due to hunters mistaking other hunters for deer. The target species was white tail deer and many of the shooting accidents occurred when people emulated what the bears did in the woods. Camouflage toilet paper was very popular.:jester::hunter:

There's inly one real reply forvthat.

Jamie

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Currently relatively cool out there but if the predictions from the seaweed twirlers of Exeter are correct I would think the river might have dried out by this time next week as we are heading for several days of temperatures in the 30s (centigrade that is).

I see the big eat eat eat promo is underway which seems slightly at odds with Boris's message of get some weight off.  But judging by what I have observed through the windows of eateries, various, round here I think it might turn into a race between a heart attack courtesy a 'spoons breakfast and a dose of Covid from a jam packed more up market eatery to see which gets you first.  There appears to be no social distancing at all in some eateries - not even one metre let alone the required 2 metres (you can't eat while wearing a mask - can you?).   But looking on the bright side a prominent local councillor has reportedly now been banned from the town's best Italian restaurant.   I think that is the third place he has been banned from and I think he might still have in place a restraining order requiring him to keep more than a stated distance away from a former lady friend;  i presume the people who continue to vote for him only read part of what is published about him in the local 'paper and ignore the salacious stuff or don't realise how obnoxious he is.

We only get sounds of shooting if the wind is in the appropriate direction at certain times of year - only shotguns as we're the wrong side of town to hear any deer culling.

Currently no major plans for today and no daily orders have been received - so far.  Have a good day one and all and stay safe, which might be difficult in grockle infested areas.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One of the first times I visited the US was during hunting season in Wisconsin.

It amused me highly to go in Walmart and similar and see camo gear with Hi-Viz ...….

camo.jpg.e0ce0f563b1db6d6b0ab6c41f3725b3d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Thoughts are with Neil and friends on Fraggle Rock . . . . . . . . 

https://www.track-shack.com/

Mike

Absolutely.  I only browed the site last night seeking some items which - as it turns out - were not in stock.  It has now closed.

That has taken the edge off what was a slightly better morning than the past two have been.  SWMBO is brighter today though not quite herself.  She attributes the bad weekend to being of a certain age and troubled intermittently by hormonal imbalances.  She is not WFH today but is instead working at home.  The difference?  She is on leave from her paid employment and is busily attending to the un-dotted i's and uncrossed t's in her thesis which require correction before final re-submission.  It has been passed - a few minor corrections are quite normal and no matters of fact or argument need changing.  

The House of Fun was remarkably quiet today.  Far fewer passing through than even the recent weeks have seen.  Maybe they're all still on Bournemouth and Brighton beaches?  Officially we are carrying 15% of normal loadings but that is averaged network-wide and there will be peaks and troughs.  

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Poaching, which is shooting without permission, whether with or without a lamp is illegal

It is also a perfectly legal means of cooking eggs and fish, among other dishes.  Ironically both can be poached after having been poached ;) 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Good morning from the first day of EAT EAT EAT to try and kickstart the restaurants. I wonder how many Big Mac meals I can down Mondays o Wednesdays during the month. I wonder if September will then be DIET DIET DIET :D

More importantly, where's the nearest cake shop signed up to the scheme?

3 hours ago, BSW01 said:

She intends to do a bulk buying session and get all the cards required for the rest of the year as she can get, meaning that the next time she has to venture into that establishment is to buy Christmas cards, which will probably be in the not too distant future!

Card Factory.  Ten for a quid.....

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

He also told me that there was often fatalities due to hunters mistaking other hunters for deer. The target species was white tail deer and many of the shooting accidents occurred when people emulated what the bears did in the woods.

Oh dear, that's terrible.  Shocking.  A tragedy.  It really upsets me.  Do I sound convincing?

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

But looking on the bright side a prominent local councillor has reportedly now been banned from the town's best Italian restaurant.   I think that is the third place he has been banned from and I think he might still have in place a restraining order requiring him to keep more than a stated distance away from a former lady friend;  i presume the people who continue to vote for him only read part of what is published about him in the local 'paper and ignore the salacious stuff or don't realise how obnoxious he is.

Any idea why he's been banned from the Italian (and others?)

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

Greetings all from Sidcup where there are clouds in the sky but the in laws have departed; even Mrs Lurker was pleased they went today rather than tomorrow as per the original invitation!

the Grand Prix was enjoyed yesterday especially with the unexpected ending!

sad to read of the closure of Track Shack - not somewhere I have used personally ( I try to use my local, Invicta Models) but given the good write ups and the recent website upgrade it would appear to be a big loss. However one cannot blame the owner for wanting to retire in the circumstances.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Lamping is not illegal.

It is a perfectly acceptable method of pest control, especially for those who cannot afford the prices of the night vision systems available from shooting suppliers.

(I have an IR system for ratting in buildings.)

However, to shoot legally, it has got to be carried out with the permission of the landowner (or tenant if the land is leased).

Poaching, which is shooting without permission, whether with or without a lamp is illegal. Which is why the farmer rightly get very angry.

I have quite a few acres over which I have permission to shoot, and if we are going out at night it's always worth letting the neighbours around the shoot know we are out and about.  The same goes for letting the police know.

It's much better to get checked on by the local area car rather than a full blown alert involving an ARV.

If when I point my Lamp at them they b****r of rapidly,  because they are shooting in in the direction of our house, it's a pretty good indication what they are doing is illegal..

We've had a broken window in the mobile home because of shooting in our direction. 

The genuine hunters from the pheasant shoot,  start our end and work their way down hill towards the marshes.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Made a little bit of progress today re. the shed. I dismantled the wooden box and recovered enough boards to make a couple of shelves, the rest of the box was as rotten as a pear. I'll be installing the shelves in a couple of days as I'm leaving them to dry out, fingers crossed that they don't warp. Still a bit of fettling to do to the wheelbarrow, I've noticed that the bolt through the wheel keeps loosening so I'm going to take it out and turn it round so that the bolt head is on the other side. I had to abandon doing anything else this afternoon due to the hay fever.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1