The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Late on parade again today, my turn to do breakfast in bed, after which we both nodded off. I've been busy for the last hour or so, sanding the fascia of the control panel, it's now ready for it's first top coat, which I'll probably do tomorrow. The next task will be to start some more circuit boards.

Currently sat on the bench under the workshop window in the sunshine, but I had to dry it off first as we had a very heavy shower earlier this morning. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyB said:

The most recent time I went to Cyprus I was staying in barracks used for those in transit (not Ford but Helmand). I was the lucky one and got a single room. My mates ended up for about 3 or 4 weeks in bunk beds, about 12 blokes to a room. 

Catering was courtesy of a contractor; we each had a chit for an evening meal. When I helped myself to a glass of water as well as the food the cashier made me pay for it as that hadn't been allowed for. 

Catering by the army in the makeshift FOB where we were working was a lot better!

The standard RAF barrack room was 16 man,  the worst I was in had been fitted out with triple bunks.... 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

talking of hand sanitizer, a pub that we went into in Guildford requested that we use the hand sanitizer as we entered. I out one hand under the nozzle and pressed with my other hand. The sanitizer shot out sideways so it missed my hand  but i now have sanitized trousers!

Quite often you are offered a pen to sign in on entering many pubs. Only one place said that they just sanitized the pen before handing it to me.

Guildford town centre was much quieter than a pre Covid Saturday and many shops had more staff inside than customers. The only shop we went into was Kernow on our way to a few nearby pubs. One didnt have any ale so we carried on to the next few but all had a very poor range of ales as they just cant get supplies. The Fullers pub said that all they can get is London Pride and Dark star Hophead.

Back in our local Harveys pub they managed to get a few barrels of Harveys Lewes Castle Brown but no IPA at present.  Luckily the brown is one of our favourites so we were happy sitting in their garden.

Brother flies in from Gibralter tomorrow so no quarantine for him. he has been sailing a boat from France for the last few weeks and didnt want to continue on the boat to Spain because of the 14 days quarantine issue. He will be staying at Mums till his kids fly back from HK to restart uni and college.

Gardening done for next door and ours so G scale running again after a few weeks since its last run.

Trying to work out if a few days in Brum is worth doing by train. So far the pan is to train it to Reading (face mask break) train to Banbury (pub) train to Warwick (pub) then to Brum. However finding pub opening times takes a while as their websites often do not have current opening times but their facebook sites sometimes do.

Keen to get as many trips in as possible incase there's another lockdown / over 50's not allowed out etc. I might have to dye my hair to get away with looking under 50:D.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I thought "grockles" was a West Country thing, back in the day at this time of year Norfolk was full of "chizits" i.e. folk from Leicester who would ask in a shop "'owmuchchizit?"

I be born in the west country,  ' cos dad was posted down there,  so that's why they be grokles to me. The RAF posted me that way  three times too.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Second section of the eaves built, and the end was boxed in. 

Not quite as warm as yesterday , and it became cloudy later. 

Dinner.... Is on its way. 

• Like 16

Morning all,

Bad night of sleep had last night. Reason being, at about a quarter after midnight I was awoken by a woman screaming like mad in the street. :o I didn’t bother to tell anybody at the time, thinking the neighbors dog had been gotten by a coyote and it was just one of them screaming. A foolish and probably costly decision for someone. Other than that I have little to report.

stay healthy,

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The standard RAF barrack room was 16 man,  the worst I was in had been fitted out with triple bunks.... 

TBH I didn't take that close a look! I'm sure you're right. 

This particular trip was to Episkopi.

It's a funny thing, life. I'm still in touch with some of the people I met on that trip and, coincidentally, I'm hoping to have a pint with one of them this week as we became good mates. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I think it was Gwiwer that mentioned yesterday, the grokles / emmets aka Ants,  we're causing much work for the RNLI. 

Yesterday the Norfolk ,  grokle,  Emmet,  Ant,  Cockwomble  score was.. 

Fifteen cut off by the tide at Blakeney,  

4 adults 4 children cut off by the tide at Stiffkey, 

17 advised to depart the marshes at Stiffkey due to the incoming tide

1 fell down a cliff at Mundesley, 

1 fisherman found stranded on the sea defences at Sea Palling,  another fisherman found struggling to swim in the rip tide from the sea defences.. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... So, a question to my esteemed colleagues on ER: whatever you may call your evening meal, when is the “correct” time to eat it?

Whatever time that I am hungry.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

During my stay with the Cherry Pickers in Fallingbostell we had tea and wads at about 4pm.. ie tea plus cake or toast (complete with Marmite!)

When we go to Robin Hoods Bay at Easter the Bogglers have tea and wads at 4pm ish.. tea/coffee plus home made cakes .. and the occasional "tincture" to round it off.

Got to go.. my tea is ready!

Baz

• Like 16

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The stupidity of some folk is astounding 

Nope, nothing surprises me anymore, the folk that make the "Darwin Awards" are gonna be very busy over the next few months I fear, me I'm manning the barricades.

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

WOW Page 8904!:)

It works out at an average of 2.25 pages per day over the last 3958 days....proving that we've turned out more waffle than Mr Breville ever did.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 17

15 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Happen he needs it as a extension of his manhood

Wrong quote - never mind!:rolleyes:  Who thinks up these stupid car names?  Why would Porsche name a car after a hot spice and what the heck us an Aygo?  Even spell check couldn't help with that one!:sarcastichand:

Brian.

• Like 11
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Wrong quote - never mind!:rolleyes:  Who thinks up these stupid car names?  Why would Porsche name a car after a hot spice and what the heck us an Aygo?  Even spell check couldn't help with that one!:sarcastichand:

Brian.

Could have been worse. They were going to call it the Victor. As in Parisan rhyming slang. Victor Hugo - You-go.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2