The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

Can you make it larger? It probably deserves it.

groan button.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Simon G said:

My lymphoma is well in remission,

Congratulations and every ongoing strength and best wishes to you Simon.

14 hours ago, Simon G said:

the Wasdale Mountain Rescue team has had 9 emergency call outs to rescue people on the fells since last Friday.  ......  People were described as setting out for England’s highest mountain as if it was a walk to Tesco.

Sadly an increasingly common occurrence both on land and at sea.  Mountain rescue teams have reported an abnormal number of callouts from Dartmoor to Ben Nevis since travel restrictions were eased and have been dealing with an escalating number of idiots and the insanely unprepared for some years now.  I don't know how you manage this.  Place warning signs at the foot of mountain trails which go unread and get complained of by NIMBYs?  Somehow restrict access to the most remote spots to those able to show they are competent?  The RNLI has had a sharply-rising number of calls to inexperienced - and indeed unexperienced - persons in distress with yachts, cruisers and numerous small craft.  Plus the swimmers who have no idea about rips or beach safety and the inflatables which drift out to sea sometimes with a very young non-swimmer aboard.  

I have some responsibility for a Facebook page supporting the South West Coast Path.  We receive occasional comments about how hard the walk is - people were expecting it somehow to be an extension of the seaside promenade.  It is one of the toughest walks in England and 630 miles long.  Many sections  can be safely tackled by those in everyday attire but it is safer and prudent to go prepared with stout footwear, drinks, snacks, a small first aid kit and an actual printed map which one knows how to read rather than an online one.  Paper doesn't rely on a signal nor run out of battery.  

Failing all else there are the Darwin Awards.  

7 hours ago, chrisf said:

Les Barker and "Guide Cats for the Blind".  My first encounter with Les was on the Isle of Man in 1976.  This unassuming man with a dog named Mrs Ackroyd

I have never met Les.  My brother-in-law (English) first encountered him in a pub up north.  BiL being from Sussex asked Les after the show if he had any dates booked down south.  He looked purposely and page-by-page through a diary which BiL could see was completely empty before uttering the single work "No".  Whereupon BiL booked him for several dates around Sussex.  

The act used to be named Mrs Ackroyd after his late canine.  I have his writings in "The Mrs. Ackroyd Occasional Table Book".  Since Mrs A. departed Les has gone out under his own name more often than he did previously.  And by all accounts still gives everyone a right god laugh. 

Today it is hot.  Seriously humidly hot by London standards.  A mere trifle at 33C for a verteran of 17 years under the Australian sun and in which I worked at a verified 48C on a couple of occasions, and at above 45C fairly regularly in summer.  But unlike Melbourne where heat comes with extremely dry air - relative humidity as low as 5% - it is humid here today.  BBQ is forecast for later but with impeccable timing no sooner had I taken the sacrifices out of the freezer than a Warning of Yellow Thunderstorms was posted for precisely 6pm.  And exactly when we intend to be cooking.  We'll see how things go.  

The Neil Fever is at a much more manageable level today and the mood was boosted from Good to Friday Good by receiving two comments from different managers regarding quality and clarity of my station announcements.  Being in charge of the Bournemouth-bound platform today I had a large number of people to distribute along the platform, get aboard the trains and then dispatch on time.  I managed a 100% clean sheet - every train departed right on time with largely cheerful folks off for a day or a weekend in the sun.

Now it is my turn in the sun.  I predict a couple of hours on the lawns with cold beers before Ocado delivers at 5pm.  Happy weekend one and all.  Thoughts to those farther north who may be affected by changes to freedom of association but it's only (we hope) for a short time and it's not a lockdown - just a lock-out for friends and family.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Having done the South West Coast path, I felt for young student types trying to do it back packing. They were having a real struggle, it’s demanding in places with just a day pack, and the extra weight takes any pleasure out of it.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Survived the 'breakfast run', which was more lunch by the time we got down there.  Just about 80 miles, very pleasant in the 24c, bit windy though.  Also visited a new cafe in Castletown for a brew on the way back, turns out to be a nice place and another 'breakfast' venue possibility, if we ever get another dry Friday.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Getting hot here too

Too hot in garden to sit in 

Draclear been to do blood test dont like needles to start with but my right arm throbbing now (yes thats the one i had blood out of)

Came same time as mental health therapist her first visit from start of lockdown. 

Still waiting for work to recieve report's from Drs and psychiatrist to see if i can go back or not. I dont really fancy having to have to take early retirement on health grounds but its out of my hands now. 

Hey ho there are people in worse states. Air ambulance just flown over on its way out from Nostell for some poor soul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Mick, notice the info on the retirement do wasn't on the main news.

'Twas on our local BBC feed.

Expect it make it to the tabloids (and main BBC) by about Tuesday..... after complaints about the local force not having the resources to enforce the rules this coming weekend.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

For my birthday my daughter got me a subscription to a well known site for tracing ancestors (I think I have mentioned this before) well my Dads side goes nowhere, he was born in Moscow during the Russian Revolution, so kinda difficult as I don't speak any eastern european languages. So following the maternal side I am now into the 15th and 14th centauries and has some interesting characters turned up, started with a couple of "Sirs" one of whom took a Welsh wife, the daughter of a certain Owain Glendower no less. So it would appear I am(providing the info on t'internet is correct and I haven't got muxed ip)  a direct descendant of Kings, there's a Plantagenat or two in there as well, a King of Jerusalem an ex wife of the King of France.....................................where or more to the point who, mucked it up, I should be living in Balmoral, not the outskirts of Arbroath..................

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

22 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Afternoon - didn't make Morning,

Early (well 9am) call from son having electrical problems with their detached garage so I went over to offer advice/help from a chair.

Fortunately it was simply a GFCI circuit that had tripped, nothing more. They're learning more about home maintenance every day :)

38th anniversary here today, but given the present "circumstances" we're going to settle for a meal delivery from one of our favourite establishments rather than venture out.

29 and partly sunny.

Enjoy the day.

Happy Anniversary Ian and better half.:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Apart from a visit to Tess Coes this afternoon most of the day has been spent doing sod-all, apart from a bit of eyelid inspection. Its just been too hot to do anything. Now its come over very cloudy and there was a few spots of rain but that evaporated almost as soon as it touched the ground. There is now a cooling breeze from the S-W thats also carrying the sounds of distant thunder. The seaweed twirlers are predicting that the heat is going to be pushed eastward so Dominic and Robert its heading your way. Congratulations Ian and missus on your anniversary and best wishes.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

So I spent some time cleaning the Barbeque. It was very hot but I stuck to my task. Just before turning it on (it is gas powered) her indoors said "look at the sky".. so I packed it away and cooked tea using our hob..Pah!

But odd bits of painting on doors and door frames completed, new front door furniture fitted.. but they have gone metric so new holes were required and more paint was used to cover a bit of wood missing paint.

Happy Anniversary to Mr and Mrs Ian Abel. Hope the day is OK and that the pain is manageable Ian.

Still able to hear a plane flying over at 33,500m today.. A plane flying from Paris to Iceland..lummy!

Thunder happened.. for about 3 minutes, rain happened.. for about 3 minutes.. still muggy though.

Time for a quick look around on here ..TTFN

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The boys (and gurl) all ran off when the camera came out!

20200731_105857.jpg.66827329d6670912a6b46eba3d07bef2.jpg

Ah, Calf of Man. This time last year we were there having travelled on the train from Douglas to Port Erin then the rest of the way by bus. Seems like a century ago now. Wish I was there again.

Happy anniversary to the Abels - enjoy your takeaway

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I was sent to the Singer Sewing shop in Croydon today by SWMBO to get a zipper foot for her sewing machine as she could not find the one with her machine and needed it. 

Tomorrow I am going back to the Singer Sewing shop as SWMBO found that the zipper foot I had bought was exactly the same as one of the feet she had in the machine! She thought they looked different so had decided I must have put it away wrongly!

I do love making journeys on the tram from Wimbledon except that today it was full of people who took their masks off once the tram was moving and wanted to sit next to strangers. I at least stopped anyone sitting next to me by putting my bag on the seat. After being reasonably good the bus was equally bad with the notice on the door saying it is limited to 14 passengers or 18 if in family groups, which was why we had 33 people on the bus when I got off. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18