The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

33 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

an asymetrical suspension bridge

Lots less expensive to construct, as you only have one set of foundations and the tower. I know that the foundations have to be deeper and the tower stronger and angled, but nowhere near twice the cost of a double tower.

HH, is that the first crossing south of Ironbridge?

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sadly there are few places for you,   gourmet eating or come to that drinking, is not a feature of Wroxham.  There is but one eatery,  right by the aforementioned bridge is "Liberties" an American inspired food establishment,  the other side of the road behind the boat yard is "The Shed" a modern double height bar which has on occasion had some real ales.

Crossing said bridge to the north east side of the river is Hoveton aka Effin clown town, 

Immediately  on the left is a Chinese,  a kebab shop,  a cafe,  a chip shop,  on the right,  an eat in chip shop,  a cafe,  a fudge shop then across the road junction  McDs in Roy's.

There is behind the right hand side the Hotel Wroxham  I've had a good meal there. 

Round the junction to the left,  the Maids head,  full of tourists in the summer,  but you can get a good pint there. 

For Il Dottore's refined tastes,  I'd recommend going slightly further,  I would recommend,

If you are piscatorially interested  The Bure River Cottage restaurant 

https://www.burerivercottagerestaurant.co.uk/ 3 miles to the east in the village of Horning in sight of my sailing  club. 

5 miles to the north east the White horse in Neatishead http://www.thewhitehorseinnneatishead.com/

Or 10 miles away,  but 20 by road the Thurne  Lion,  https://www.thelionatthurne.com/

Or the Swan inn, aka by me the cremated Swan, about 15 miles  north east.  https://www.theinghamswan.co.uk/

Oh where is it all?  It is on this, it's special Day, they are in the county of Norfolk.

Wroxham and Hoveton face each other across the river Bure,  they ard the home of the Broads hire boat industry. 

I can but suggest, you access Google Maps to view their positions on this globe,  switching to street view for a better look. 

We had a nice curry by the bridge a few years back

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

..... For Il Dottore's refined tastes,  I'd recommend going slightly further,  I would recommend,

If you are piscatorially interested  The Bure River Cottage restaurant 

https://www.burerivercottagerestaurant.co.uk/ 3 miles to the east in the village of Horning in sight of my sailing  club. 

5 miles to the north east the White horse in Neatishead http://www.thewhitehorseinnneatishead.com/

Or 10 miles away,  but 20 by road the Thurne  Lion,  https://www.thelionatthurne.com/

Or the Swan inn, aka by me the cremated Swan, about 15 miles  north east.  https://www.theinghamswan.co.uk/

Thank you for the interesting links. The Bure River Cottage restaurant has some appealing dishes on the menu as does the Swan Inn. Of the other two, I am not sure if I would really go to a pub for a pizza or a burger, as fine as they may be. Looking through these menus two things struck me: firstly how relatively few traditional English (or British) dishes were on the menus. Secondly, and this I think is pretty damning indictment of some aspects of British food culture, I noted that all, but all the menus for children were variations of pizzas, burgers and nuggets with chips. A far cry from the children oriented menus you see almost routinely in Italy and France - basically small portions of what the adults eat. 
In this regard I am very, very old fashioned. Children should eat what the adults eat, no special menus, no separate dining times. A hangover, I suppose, from my childhood: as soon as we were old to eat with the adults we ate with the adults.

When my friends with children visit, the sprogs eat with us and what we eat they eat (although if they don’t like - say - poached egg, they don’t have to eat it. There’s enough variety being served that they won’t go hungry). This approach seems to work - I got my Goddaughter to eat Fegato alla Veneziana with sautéed spinach. And I even gave a cooking lesson to my friend’s son (who was most chuffed when his parents, in a blind tasting, thought his pasta dish was cooked by me...)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

Horrid weather this morning, proper old fashioned rain.  The river in Peel flows through the marina, (no clowns) there is a half-tide gate.  The water has been a trickle for weeks, only just coming through the fish ladder slowly.  Today was a little different!

20200727_122348.jpg.7fa0034b218da23b9ef4a063f678a86c.jpg

I wondered what it was like in your neighbourhood today. I zoomed out on my live(ish) weather map from South Essex to have a look at Manchester and overdid it and there seemed to be significant rain on the IOM. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I wondered what it was like in your neighbourhood today. I zoomed out on my live(ish) weather map from South Essex to have a look at Manchester and overdid it and there seemed to be significant rain on the IOM. 

It was dry by a late lunch time but the rain this morning was 'significant', yes!

20200727_124515.jpg.2face591cb25e54e00c08d91cf621335.jpg

• Like 16

A goodly selection of non controversial postings so far today:mellow:  Usual holiday weather in the usual places, IL dottore bemoaning the spoiled kids that seem entitled to special menus, which I thought was just an American thing.  Ugly bridges and naughty foxes; be glad you can see nature close up!  Whatever they do to your lawn, its worth it as it soon can be fixed.  We have to put up with raccoons who enjoy peeling back turf looking for grub/s and deer that like our natural salad bar not to mention birds that appreciate the feeders that our neighbours provide.  We'd miss them if they all went away.

Heatwave day today and won't break till the end of the week.  A/C is doing its best to keep us cool: 35 for all you centigraders while most of this year its been in the high 20s, a cool summer up to now.  Which is OK by me!

Covid keeps coming and going; we just stay in place and let it all swirl around us.  My fellow countrymen seem to be in a bind visiting a covid country of which they say there is nothing to fear.  Until they all get off the plane, that is!  

Brian.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Managed to do a bit more clearing of the garden/patio ready for the shed erectors. Filled the hole with even more broken wall tiles to keep the foxes out. Its only about eight feet from the patio doors and if a vixen with cubs gets in there it will pong a bit, so its best to deter them. Tea is waiting to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I've never been to Wroxham (or effin' clown town) the nearest I have got is Norwich (three times but one of them was only to change trains).    I have managed to get nearer to Wrexham as I have been through it on a train which stopped at the station there, I didn't alight.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the rain finally stopped sometime around mid-late afternoon, so my decision to stay in the cellar seems to have been well justified. Today I’ve mainly been sorting out a few more storage boxes/racks, these have been emptied, cleaned and re-filled and are now either living under the shelving in the office, or are destined for the shed, but that’s been deferred until it’s dry. I also managed to give the inside of the control panel 2 coats of primer. Tomorrow I’ll give the inside a light sanding and then apply a final coat of paint, I can then start painting the outside.

This afternoon I decided to knock off early and after getting washed and changed, had a muggertea, before I made another a small batch (half a dozen this time) of almond scones, having one each this evening after tea this evening. 

I then completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, my first outing having to wear a mask! I initially thought about wearing  the mask I wear when spray painting, but I thought that it might scare other shoppers, so I wore the one Sheila bought for me a couple of weeks ago, which is dark blue with pictures of yachts on! There were still a few customers who weren’t wearing masks and even more who were wearing them incorrectly!

I forgot to mention the other day that I followed Tony S’ method of resetting my ‘smart meter display’ which hadn’t worked properly since I inadvertently knocked of its shelf a few weeks back, so thank you, its back up and working a treat. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1