The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings All,

Dinner was consumed. However, I wasn’t that happy with it - the twice cooked pork tasted great, but the reduced sauce didn’t quite turn out as it should have :mellow:. I think, that at the start of cooking, I over caramelised the sugar, which had a knock on effect.

The recipe for pork chops baked in mustard sounds intriguing, I must try it (assuming that I can get decent pork chops. The ones normally available at the butcher are so trimmed down that wave a match at the chop and it dries out...).

I am utterly appalled to hear how instruments are binned after a single use rather than set aside, cleaned and sterilised. At the hospitals I’ve worked at, there was a dedicated department and dedicated staff whose sole job was to clean, pack, autoclave (sterilise)  instruments. Why the NHS can’t do the same is beyond me. If a trust can employ “diversity awareness officers”  (and other “non jobs”), then they can certainly employ staff to recycle metal instruments.  At the risk of getting “political” isn’t this another example of how the NHS is in effect two organisations: a smaller one treating patients and a bigger one dedicated to maintaining it’s own privileges (a point made very forcibly in a post on another forum by a NHS Nurse who said - more or less - “the first priority for NHS management is to protect NHS management”)

Now off to watch The Supetvet, lots of interesting surgical procedures and lots of lovely doggies....

G’night All

iD

• Like 13
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Hey, I'm 85 - I'm not elderly.  Old perhaps, but not elderly; these things are important especially in these PC days!:)

Brian.

Poly never made the original quote - iL Dottore did:

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

If I may unburden myself, I would like to state that I am getting very, very frustrated with my next door neighbour. An elderly (80 year old) gent, his telephone has been out of service for the past six weeks.

I feel a petition coming on - questions asked in Parliament etc. etc.

"Bear is innocent - justice for Bear......"

(Me thinks the website has a few glitches....)

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I am utterly appalled to hear how instruments are binned after a single use rather than set aside, cleaned and sterilised. At the hospitals I’ve worked at, there was a dedicated department and dedicated staff whose sole job was to clean, pack, autoclave (sterilise)  instruments. Why the NHS can’t do the same is beyond me. If a trust can employ “diversity awareness officers”  (and other “non jobs”), then they can certainly employ staff to recycle metal instruments.  At the risk of getting “political” isn’t this another example of how the NHS is in effect two organisations: a smaller one treating patients and a bigger one dedicated to maintaining it’s own privileges (a point made very forcibly in a post on another forum by a NHS Nurse who said - more or less - “the first priority for NHS management is to protect NHS management”)

Now off to watch The Supetvet, lots of interesting surgical procedures and lots of lovely doggies....

G’night All

iD

An article on today's BBC News website included the following:

"The next day, James, our head of talent, went to look at applications and was amazed to find that in less than 24 hours we had 963 people apply."

Head of Talent?  FFS..... :no:

As for V-E-T's, well you've obviously never been on the receiving end of one.  Then they don't become so interesting, believe me.... :scared:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BokStein said:

Might I suggest a recipe for Pork in Mustard?

Coat the bottom of an oven-proof pan with a layer of Moutarde de Meaux (NOT Dijon!) Add pork chops to the pan then add another layer of said mustard. Oven cook the assembly to your satisfaction and enjoy.

For reference, the town of Meaux usually wraps this in pastry.

The town of Meaux just happens to be our twin town. It also has a thriving model railway club. Our club has visited on many occasions with our layouts and I have visited on three of those occasions. I seem to remember the pork chop/mustard wrapped in pastry, delicious. I can't for the life of me recall what it was called. The whole town is on show, not just the model railway club and in typical French fashion everything stopped for lunch (which was a three course meal with coffee or wine over about two hours). Lunch was served up in a marquee set up for the purpose. The town itself is about 30 kilometres east of Paris on the River Marne and the oldest part of the town is surrounded on three sides by the river rather like Shrewsbury.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

17 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Hey, I'm 85 - I'm not elderly.  Old perhaps, but not elderly; these things are important especially in these PC days!:)

Brian.

TBH Brian, “elderly” is very much down to how you think about yourself and your place in the world. I’m over 60 and I consider myself to be “just about middle aged”.

Having said that, a friend of mine is of the opinion that I was “born middle-aged“ (when I first met my friend I was going through a bit of a “pipe and cardigan“ phase. I was 31 at the time)

Sadly, my next door neighbour is very determined to consider himself as “elderly“ (referring back to my original post one of his excuses for not getting a mobile phone, something everyone who knows him has been telling him to do for ages, is that he is “an old man and too old to learn how these complicated new things work“)

G’night All

p.s. If Mr P Bear believes that he is innocent, then I am sure that he will not mind taking a Poly - graph test

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Its like that fella Bill Posters must be a 1 man crime wave. I dont know what he has done but i have seen signs all over the country saying he will be prosecuted. 

What ever happened to the presumption of innocence.  

For many years the nation was riddled with presumptions of innocence.  Everywhere one went one could find slogans proclaiming "Bill Stickers is innocent".  There is no such verdict in English law.  Bill Stickers was in fact found Not Guilty :jester: 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

HI guys,

A few minutes ago I posted on the blog, a rather longer one than usual because of the 'throw out' but it threw me out.  I am hoping that it will some day return as the odd previous one have but  for now I will leave it and go back to reading - commenting by tick box if it works.

Update

Hi Guys, the one above 'worked' but the big one and the later one did not and came up with an EXO error.  Please accepts apologies for the missing erudite additions that were repeatedly lost!  Cheers.

Edited by PeterBB
EXO Errors on previous blogs and comment ticks.
  • Friendly/supportive 19

Evening All,

A bit late to the part as they say but Jamie glad Beth seems to have been lucky in her fall but I bet she might be a bit stiff tomorrow.

Usual kind of a day here, gardening in the morning and then a walk and an hour in the shed. I’m not sure the hour in the shed has been a success, when the paint dries I let you know.

Good night,

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Typo
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The recipe for pork chops baked in mustard sounds intriguing, I must try it (assuming that I can get decent pork chops. The ones normally available at the butcher are so trimmed down that wave a match at the chop and it dries out...).

Dijon mustard is too dry for this; the recipe is a speciality of Meaux in France

image.png.08b584ef63054078c543653f59e98dd1.png

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

TBH Brian, “elderly” is very much down to how you think about yourself and your place in the world. I’m over 60 and I consider myself to be “just about middle aged”.

Having said that, a friend of mine is of the opinion that I was “born middle-aged“ (when I first met my friend I was going through a bit of a “pipe and cardigan“ phase. I was 31 at the time)

Sadly, my next door neighbour is very determined to consider himself as “elderly“ (referring back to my original post one of his excuses for not getting a mobile phone, something everyone who knows him has been telling him to do for ages, is that he is “an old man and too old to learn how these complicated new things work“)

G’night All

p.s. If Mr P Bear believes that he is innocent, then I am sure that he will not mind taking a Poly - graph test

Whilst growing old may be mandatory, growing up is optional!

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

After this morning’s short shower, thankfully the rain held off for the rest of the day. In the workshop more progress has been made on the turntable control panel. Firstly, a few final tweaks were needed to the line (track) diagram that I’d drawn on last weekend were made. I then marked where each hole for the point switch would go as well as marking where the indicator LEDs would go. I then got out the drill, the fascia is too wide to go on my bench drill and I can control the speed easier with my hand drill. Lots of holes have been drilled in it today, starting at the rear where I drilled and fitted the sockets for the 12v control and 3v, motor supplies and another for the supply to the drive motor itself. I also made a start on the fascia, holes were drilled for the start button, the selector switch, both rotation direction buttons and the holes for the sequence on, rotational direction and emergency stop button activated LEDs were drilled. Tomorrow I’m hoping to get the point activation switches and indicator LEDs drilled, I can then make a start on painting the control panel. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl inner Temple Hare, 

1 hours sleep,  wake up, turn light out, put book away,  go back to sleep, 6hours sleep.  Needed that,  I may get more. 

The woman I feel,  makes me two years younger,  but 34 years ago she was asked if I was her father... 

She also got refused service at pubs while well into her 20s for being under age... 

Yesterday evening we got a visit from Thor hammering away at his anvil,  this was accompanied by large amounts of water. Instant deep puddles everywhere. 

Ben the scaredy Collie hid in his cage,  it was shaking,  he was an unhappy Collie for  some time afterwards... 

I've remembered I didn't work on the jib club yesterday,  I'd put it to one side safely out of the way,  it is annoying because I had time to work on it.  If I'm not two knackered from barbeque area building, I might do that this afternoon.  There are several wooden loose items for the boat that needs varnishing and one or two that still need to be made,  I need to make them,  and get them lined up to do them at the same time. 

Now let's see if I can get more sleep 

Time to.. Put this tablet down. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14