The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all,

Just back from physiotherapy. My physiotherapist is still finding that I have a degree of knee effusion (a.k.a.“water on the knee“, which is not as much fun as “sex on the brain“). If it doesn’t improve after being strapped up for awhile, I’ll have to notify my surgeon who will either aspirate the joint, inject corticosteroids or both. What fun! And speaking of fun, my physiotherapist is - as physiotherapists frequently are – an attractive young lady. However, at my advanced age and in my decrepit condition, the only thing that I think about is “will she hit that bloody trigger point again with her “Thumb of Terror“?

And whilst on the subject of hitting things, has anyone been following the Grand Sumo highlights on NHK World? I am a huge fan of Sumo (probably the only sport that I bother to watch on television, apart from the World Cup final [footie]).
Following the start of the COVID-19 pandemic the March 場所 (Basho, or  本場所 Honbasho to be pedantic) or was held in an auditorium empty of everyone except the Sumo wrestlers and the officials - which was totally bizarre, the May Honbasho was cancelled and this July’s Honbasho is playing to a half empty auditorium where the audience members are maintaining social distances, wearing masks and politely applauding instead of the usual yelling, cheering and shouting (I can’t see this sort of discipline and respect for the rules happening at any sporting event in the UK).
The more I watch and the more I learn about sumo wrestling, the more I come to realise it is more than just “two fat blokes colliding into each other“. Firstly, these guys are strong: in a match last year one of the top ranked wrestlers picked up his opponent by the Mowashi (the special belt Sumo wrestlers wear) and, quite literally, lifted the man out of the ring. Only thing was, the Sumo wrestler being lifted out of the ring weighed in at a rather robust 220 kg (and wasn’t going quietly). Secondly, although sumo wrestlers carry a lot of fat it is subcutaneous fat, which is considerably less dangerous to your health than visceral fat (CT scans of even the heaviest sumo wrestlers show they have normal amounts of visceral fat in their body). Having said that, despite their strength and accompanying muscle mass and despite that the fat is subcutaneous, sumo wrestlers suffer from numerous injuries to the joints and spine due to both the amount of weight they carry and due to the impact of two massive bodies colliding at between 3 and 4 meters per second (equivalent to the speed of Ursain Bolt) on a regular basis. As mathematics is not my strong point perhaps one of my fellow ERs will tell me what is the force of impact of two bodies colliding, each weighing about 180 kg and each travelling at about 3.5 m/s. Thirdly, they have a daily training routine (with no time off for weekends) which is, by any standard, absolutely punitive...

Anyway (cue emoji of a hiker with a walking stick), I’m rambling on again. Sorry. but I find a sumo wrestling fascinating, not just the matches themselves but also - and perhaps especially - all the traditions and rituals associated with the sport. Surprisingly enough, so does Mrs iD.

Konbanwa, sayōnara

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

But like any veg type stuff it can never be as nice as when it has only just been dug or picked.

On Tuesday we had freshly harvested broad beans and Charlotte potatoes from the allotment.

Eaten just two hours after gathering. Definitely the best way to get the full flavour.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 12
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Shopping has been done but a few items such as milk will be got later, I have sufficient at the moment but if I get too much I end up throwing some away as its gone off. I suspect that my kidney stone is back as I'm getting the back aches as before that seem to ease when I take a drink of water. I'll have to get it checked out soon as. Now time to put the dinner on, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all, after an unintentional lie-in. ...snip... It is now four months and 270 miles since I put petrol in the car. ...snip...   Best wishes to all

Chris

I checked and it has been four months almost to the day since I last filled up; 25mar20 and about 361 miles. The very little that I am currently driving, I will try to go another month! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening.

The concept of Sumo is interesting and on one Food Network broadcast, Jack Maxwell's 'Booze Traveller' witnessed a Sumo downing a bottle of sake 'in one', just pouring it down his throat!

The heaviest recorded Sumo weighed, apparently, 272Kg.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Afternoon all,

As mathematics is not my strong point perhaps one of my fellow ERs will tell me what is the force of impact of two bodies colliding, each weighing about 180 kg and each travelling at about 3.5 m/s. Thirdly, they have a daily training routine (with no time off for weekends) which is, by any standard, absolutely punitive...

iD

Newton's Laws of Motion suggest that Force is the time rate of change of momentum, is always equally opposed and that a moving body will only change its speed if a force is applied to it.

On the subject of collision, it depends much on the Coefficient of Restitution. I submit that, in Sumo terms, this is pretty close to 0 whereas with billiard balls, for example, it is closer to 1.

By the way, you are asking about the engineering science of Dynamics rather than mathematics!

image.png.1c91cb02607050519394d638bcef1e18.png

I offer you rocket science (abridged). (I carry an every-day item which demonstrates this effect succinctly - my key chain!)

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The fun for today, among other things was to attempt the removal of the plastic disk on the business end of a brand new rechargeable strimmer (not mine, incidentally); the disk holds those little plastic "cutter" that some strimmers employ in place of the usual nylon line.  The disk broke almost immediately the first time it was used - the seller (via Amazon) didn't want it back and sent a full refund (seventy odd quid) - so if it can be fixed it's a freebie....

Anyway, the first attempt several days ago ended in failure - even an impact driver wouldn't shift it (just how tight can an M6 screw be?? :angry:) -with the screw head looking very sad at the end.  I was inclined to bin it.

However, today I figured I wouldn't be beaten so easily.  So a deep slot was cut across the top of the screw, with the aid of a hacksaw and thin file.  And then the impact driver, with the motor shaft gripped very, very tightly with molegrips to stop it turning (no spanner flats on the shaft).  Would it budge?  Would it 'eck 'as like....

O.K.  Plan 3.....

I'm sure it won't be.....but......just when is the last time you came across an M6 left-hand screw thread on domestic kit?  Me neither, until today.  (Note: Truck/Coach/Bus drivers, Tankies, Ship's Engineers, Agricultural Wotsits etc. need not apply, nor anyone who's put the blade onto a cooling fan recently).  On top of that, the screw was secured with concrete grade loctite.  I'm amazed that the screw or shaft thread never gave in given all the tightening it's had with an impact driver.  The chinese sure didn't intend that screw to come out - in fairness they did include the phrase "no user-serviceable parts inside etc etc."

A new disk and screw is a tenner plus a fiver postage from the company, however when purchased from ebay (same supplier) the postage is free.  Go figure.

My guess is it'll go the same way, however the ebay purchase is via Paypal so if it does I'll just issue a claim for a refund.  We'll see.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah well it should read E almost equals mc squared..all rocket scientists know that one...I spent some time working on guided rockets..in semi competition with poly bear. .same company different sites.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, pH said:

<<<<<<<<<<< I’m surprised you can’t get new potatoes. We have no problems getting them here.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There are 'new' potatoes but they taste like old potatoes!:rolleyes_mini:

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, BokStein said:

...By the way, you are asking about the engineering science of Dynamics rather than mathematics!...

Obviously. However, in order to be able to apply engineering science you need to be fairly good at mathematics. Whilst by no means innumerate, I do find the complex calculations you need to do for various engineering applications a bit beyond me. Not, I hasten to add, the theory behind the calculations, But the applications of mathematics to those calculations. If it wasn’t for the fact I can do duodecimal calculations on my fingers, I”d be totally lost.

it is claimed that mathematics is “the Queen of the sciences“, that may as be but as a queen she is more leather Basque, fishnet stockings,spiked heels, a whip and heavy Goth make up then she is like QEII

Good night all

iD

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

T ...snip...  the disk holds those little plastic "cutter" that some strimmers employ in place of the usual nylon line.  The disk broke almost immediately the first time it was used - the seller (via Amazon) didn't want it back and sent a full refund (seventy odd quid) - so if it can be fixed it's a freebie....

...snip...

A new disk and screw is a tenner plus a fiver postage from the company,

...snip...

"Strimmer" = "string trimmer"? Like a "WeedEater™" over here? I like my 20v battery-powered WORX one; and it share the same battery as my leaf-blower and hedge trimmer.

Why not fabricate a cutter out of a piece of thin Aluminum? It should outlast any plastic one.

• Like 14

iL Dottore: I can not disagree with you!

33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Obviously. However, in order to be able to apply engineering science you need to be fairly good at mathematics. Whilst by no means innumerate, I do find the complex calculations you need to do for various engineering applications a bit beyond me. Not, I hasten to add, the theory behind the calculations, But the applications of mathematics to those calculations. If it wasn’t for the fact I can do duodecimal calculations on my fingers, I”d be totally lost.

it is claimed that mathematics is “the Queen of the sciences“, that may as be but as a queen she is more leather Basque, fishnet stockings,spiked heels, a whip and heavy Goth make up then she is like QEII

Good night all

iD

Whilst working with a company who manufactured indexing mechanisms, I read up about the way in which their cam profiles were designed and found many restrictions given a few standard profiles (Mod Sine, SHM, etc.) which were in common use.

I spent three days going back to basics (wasn't there a model supplier by the name of 'Back 2 Bay 6'?) and generated some 50 pages of differential / integral calculus which, when fed with the 'standard' parameters, concurred with the ESDU and other factoids. I then went on to mix and match the motion profiles so that the mechanisms could perform as specified. In this respect, I contest that I am not a d3x/dt3!

I managed to confuse the heck out of the drawing office by designing a six-indexer system to drive a bidirectional rack-and-pinion transport system so that transfer from drive to drive was seamless. Normally used to working in degrees of rotation, this contract was better calculated in teeth on the rack. This design in itself took a month! I had the good fortune of being invited to the customer and seeing the end results working perfectly!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 45156 said:

Couldn't agree more, though they are nothing like as good as they used to be - a bit like Jersey Royals, I think that due to restrictions on the type of fertiliser allowed, they do suffer a loss of flavour.

Which begs the question - what was the original fertiliser................?

And the follow up.

Do we really want/need to know?  :stop:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

I am an Engeneer

Enginere

Engineere

good at Maths..

From my coffee mug

but if you want fun try out some Control Engineering go look for Lyapunovs Theorum.. or better still the theory pf Fuzzy Logic.. which helps when you design modern types of gearboxes..

How I managed to get through my Modern Control Theory Module in my finals god only knows.. and I have used Lyapunov once in all the years since...

Baz

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1