The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see Debs posting.. i think she may have a huge pile of very , very sharp awls stockpiled so we need to be careful

(Why weren't these included in the SALT II agreements? :jester::jester::jester:

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

It's grown 'commercially' round here but you can't see the farms.  Some days you can smell it as you enter the estate.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo how do you know what it smells like then..............................................?....................:D

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is also cannabis grown commercially here in Essex (duly licenced of course) the site is secret but I recognised the farm in question. 

Previous next door neighbour (who rented the place) is in the back garden, tending to a very tall (as in 6ft+) pot plant (did you see what I did there?).

Bear looks at plant, then at Hippie type.....

Hippie:  "It's a Hungarian Mint Tree....."

Bear:  "P1ss off, that's a wacky backy tree....."

Hippie:  "Shhhh....."

When they moved in he reported it was only a foot or so high.  Until they put it in the south-facing conservatory......

There was little doubt it was harvested regularly, and smoked in the back bedroom.  How is this known?  You could smell the reek from my back bedroom....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The cannabis farm here in Essex is sometimes noticeable especially if your standing downwind on a warm day. You certainly know if someone's been smoking the wacky baccy, the smell is like cat's pee. Just a thought, what if Sir Walter Raleigh had bought back cannabis instead of tobacco would it be legitimate and tobacco illegal? Microwave has pinged, its Tandoori chicken from the use by date lottery menu. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

One thing I find difficult is to throw anything away which means that over the years I have accumulated quite a pile of stuff from which, from time to time, I choose a box to have a look and see what's inside with a view to getting rid of some stuff.

In one box I came across a Japanese language magazine dating back to 1977 and wondered why I had kept this magazine especially as it was in Japanese and didn't relate to railways. Flicked through the magazine and towards the end came across this picture:

HashHouseHarriers-01.jpg.c466db4b4e43514faaa6a4629121b65d.jpg

showing me leading a group of mainly expatriate runners across a busy zebra crossing in the Roppongi area of Tokyo. The following picture explains more:

HashHouseHarriers-02.jpg.8475dfd8152b007cf967a61b2cf7e0f2.jpg

It was the Tokyo Branch of the Hash House Harriers on their weekly run through the streets of Tokyo.

The Hash House Harriers originated back in 1938 in Selangor patterned after the British paper chase  - the hare sets the trail and is followed by the pack. In Toyko this was done by chalk marks on the pavement and walls with the trail petering out from time to time. The pack then had to find the trail again and when they found it they would yell "On-On" and run to the next stop etc., etc.

At the end of the run it was normally followed by drinks and nibbles at the Hare's home or some other suitable venue:

HashHouseHarriers-03.jpg.db2ac3e17cbb7de8828f989c380df2e3.jpg

In Tokyo the running has to be done through the streets but once you get off the main roads this could be quite interesting. Whilst living in Seoul I was also running in the Hash there but it was quite different to running in Tokyo as most of the running was done in the countryside to the north of Seoul towards the DMZ. The run finished with a fireside barbecue and plenty of beer, more relaxed than in Tokyo.

Just done a search on the Hash and still seems that they are quite active. The London Hash seems to be quite active but not at the moment because of Covid-19.

Keith

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is also cannabis grown commercially here in Essex (duly licenced of course) the site is secret but I recognised the farm in question. 

Where we lived in TIlehurst there were apparently some Vietnamese folk growing it commercially in the attic of a rented house further down our road.   I think their 'commercially' and your 'commercially' could well have different meanings because once the production in our road came to light it was a matter of wall-to-wall flashing blue lights and door-to-door inquiries asking if we had seen any 'suspicious looking Vietnamese people'.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I had a grapefruit tree in my yard back in Florida that produced prodigous  ...snip... I think that I will stick to my very hardy roses that I have in my garden (completely neglected, every year they produce a beautiful crop of lovely flowers)

I had a grapefruit tree in my yard in Florida that produced prodigious quantities of huge softball-sized fruit every year; I did absolutely NOTHING to or for it. My neighbor had an orange tree that he was constantly fussing with and it produced almost nothing usable.  He could never figure out that it would have been best to ignore the thing. When he moved, the new owners did nothing for it and it started to produce! Of all the photos that I took of the various flora (and some fauna) that surrounded my house down there, I never took any photos of that tree! :(

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Excellent Curry for tea. Our local curry house has reopened. We could have gone and "ate in" but we rang up and collected (a Ringit and Collectit in the Leeds MRS. unlike a Ringit and Bringit which means ring up and order ..they deliver)

Anyroads up it was excellent!  And as the owner knows us a little bit of discount removed from the bill paid. A real gent!

Time to get some sleep as I am getting a tad excited..why? Hair cut appointment at 09:00 in the morning..

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2020 at 05:37, pH said:

"The Domesday Book was commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The first draft was completed in August 1086 and contained records for 13,418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees (the border with Scotland at the time)."

If that was classed as the Scottish border, the view from my house over the years (more than my lifetime) has changed from Scotland, to Yorkshire to Lancashire.......

So the view has improved over time.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2020 at 10:37, iL Dottore said:

In theory, the Roland should be louder than the HIWATT, but setting the volume knob at 12

I always thought that the best guitar amps went to a max of 11........

• Funny 13

18 minutes ago, newbryford said:

If that was classed as the Scottish border, the view from my house over the years (more than my lifetime) has changed from Scotland, to Yorkshire to Lancashire.......

So the view has improved over time.

Taking on multiple opposition groups - that’s brave! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11