The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Baz and more of 'em. Weather as Tony reported, the rain seems to be passing us by, but its still very muggy.

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Goodness me, we have our very own “narcotics kingpin“  in our midst :jester:

Seriously, I thought that opium poppies wouldn't/couldn’t grow as far north as the UK although they grow wild in many places around the Mediterranean.

I’m wondering how the law applies (if it applies) to garden botanicals.  There are many plant species, some quite beautiful to look at, that when processed can provide chemicals that are very toxic, very intoxicating or both.

Is there a Botanicals Squad in the local Police (something like the “drugs squad”)? I can well imagine the situation...

Pc Percy Thrower: “ Excuse me sir, but is that your garden?

Philj W (for it is he): “Yes officer, what’s the problem

Pc Percy Thrower: “What’s the problem? You do realise that you are growing Monkshood in contravention to the Botanical Act (UK) of 1895

Philj W: “Really? I thought they were just pretty flowers
Pc Percy Thrower: “ Just pretty flowers!!!  [aside to other policeman]  Looks like we’ve got a right joker here Constable Titchmarsh”

There's plenty of plants that we grow in our gardens that can produce all sorts of drugs. Foxglove for example from which digitalis is produced. Even the apple produces arsenic, in its seeds. There was a case a couple of years ago of a young man who became very ill after chewing on apple pips. Though don't worry if you swallow an apple pip as its designed to go through a mammals digestive system. Rhubarb leaves as well are highly toxic. I have a plant in the garden, I can't remember its name but when cutting it back the other day I got the milky sap on my hands. I knew that I had to wash it off straight away though because otherwise I'd have a nasty rash. As for the poppies, others have called them opium poppies but it might be a name applied to the variety which has pinkish purple flowers instead of the usual red. The eczema on my ankl has gone from being itchy and dry to red, sore and raw. I've applied a hydrochloride dressing which has eased the pain somewhat but not a lot of the G word is going to get done today.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Morning all, Happy Birthday Baz, looks like another fine day up here, after the hectic schedule with daughters family yesterday, a quiet one is planned for today. Rails weren't run upon yesterday as buckets and spades were in evidence, so a large part of the day was spent on Lunan Bay, luckily no old ordnance was dug up on this occasion, but it seems some old stuff linked to RAF Montrose is often found here.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

About 30 years ago a school friend of No. 1 Son joined the police force (before it became a service?) and moved into a flat somewhere in London. The previous occupants had left some plants on the window sills and since they were healthy and looked quite attractive he kept them until one evening when a colleague was visiting and asked whether he thought it wise for a police cadet to be growing cannabis in his flat :D.

A similar thing happened in the Interior of BC. An RCMP visiting another detachment inquired as to why they were growing the odd cannabis plant in the flower beds in front of the office. Their gardener had some ‘splaining to do!

• Like 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sikkens is part of Azko Nobel,  as is International paints,  and Awlgrip. So their varnishes come under any of the names. Sometimes with both on one tin IE "International Paints, Sikkens Cetol Varnish"

It went off the market for a while when the EU regs came in,  but returned with the new formulations and now has a less orange variety

Now that we're out of the EU can we look forward to dumping all these regs?  What's worse - the old recipes or the increased exposure to "safer" alternatives, along with extra sanding dust etc. going into the air cos' the new cr@p doesn't last five minutes?

In other news:

image.png.b51dc2150b2d57697dfb9188c119819b.png

image.png.4db579a56c8f7b8ca55e8eadb6eb2244.png

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 19

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

.....There's plenty of plants that we grow in our gardens that can produce all sorts of drugs. Foxglove for example from which digitalis is produced. Even the apple produces arsenic, in its seeds....

Indeed, before we got Schotty we underwent a garden inspection. Part of the rehoming process was a house visit by one of the rehoming team to ensure that there was nothing in our garden that dogs would be tempted to eat and which would also make them ill or even kill them.

Sometimes it is easy to conclude that the whole natural world is out to get us, one way or another. And most of the lethality of the natural world is very well hidden. At least in Australia, the local flora and fauna make no secret of their intent to kill you.

I find it deliciously ironic, as a convinced and diehard carnivore, that of the most toxic substances in the world, the vast majority are plant alkaloids. Even more wonderfully ironic is that one of the most lethal animals on the planet - the Australian box jellyfish – eats plankton, so basically it is a vegetarian.

I really wonder how we have managed, as a species, to survive so far. Our food animals (until domesticated, and probably not even then) - want to kill us; the vegetables we gather - want to kill us; the fruits we pick - want to kill us, the fish we net in the sea – want to kill us and the funghi we forage in the forest REALLY want to kill us. I won’t go into examples of how our various foodstuffs - (domesticated, wild, grown or foraged) can bring about our untimely demise, but it does make for fascinating reading.

Buying your food at the supermarket or at the corner shop somehow lacks the excitement and adventure of snatching it from the arms of mother nature. I don’t see, in a generation or two‘s time, people sitting around a campfire telling tales of how their great uncle Florence Locomotive Works took on a jumbo size tin of baked beans armed with nothing but a rusty tin opener (apologies FLM, but you have been telling us about your adventures with beans on toast :D).

Happy Birthday BaZ

• Like 10
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Giant hogweed is a burner of the skin just one of the reasons I have an on going war with it. I'm winning.

Decks sanded and to a greater extent than I expected,  in sanding the area around the repairs I found I still had a layer of the previous coating still embedded in the surface of the wood. 

A heavy duty flexidisc flap wheel came into play.. 

Two arm aching hours later the entire deck was cleared unfortunately this has shown up some dark water damaged areas,  oxalic acid has been ordered for deployment next week .

A large part of the deck was OK and after a run over with the detail sander,  a white Spirit soaked cloth wipe over and a tack cloth when dry.  Then most of the deck was varnished,   Here is a picture of the stern, as was first thing this morning, before today's work. after 1.5 coats of varnish,  1.5 coats because it got a heavier than recommended sanding between coats

IMG_20200719_091005.jpg

IMG_20200719_091003.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the birthday wishes.. enjoying my day so far.. and my nieces daughter produced a baby girl 2 minutes before my birthday.. perfect timing..

Chris hope you get better soon

Rick get some frozen peas (in a packet) on the  toe...

Flavio.. poppies are seen across the "Flanders Fields" of World War 1 and we see a lot here oop in Yorkshire...

Baz

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Greetings all from a disappointingly drizzly Sidcup.

not a proper chance to catch up with the debate on here but my general view is that we should generally avoid painting the past in black and white and that people were just as nuanced, complicated and self contradictory as they are today. The statue controversy, particularly the vilifying of Gladstone, who, I was taught at school, was quite a liberal person ( pun unintentional), reminded me of a news story from a few years ago that irritated me at the time; Sheffield at the moment is a little bit self congratulatory about its statues of Wilberforce. They appear to have forgotten the campaign of a few years back to remove his statue because he was  a sexist. I don’t know what it was that he did or said that was objected to by the campaigners but no doubt it was typical of the time. What made him stand out was his stand for the abolition of slavery. Judging by Sheffield’s smugness, the campaign to remove his statue failed.

• Like 12

Just now, Barry O said:

....Flavio.. poppies are seen across the "Flanders Fields" of World War 1 and we see a lot here oop in Yorkshire...Baz

The poppies of Flander’s Fields are justifiably, and sadly, well known. But I didn’t think they were opium poppies. I was under the impression that they the Papaver rhoeas as opposed to the Papaver soniferum.

image.png.6365efc70cbbad2e656376f29062a634.png
The above is the Poppy I was thinking off

A quick Google of the Internet indicated that growing opium poppies in your own garden is something of a grey area. Most ornamental varieties of the Papaver soniferum barely have any active alkaloid in them, Although I suspect a dedicated Gardner would be able to cultivate them for more alkaloid than is usual.
I think that I will stick to my very hardy roses that I have in my garden (completely neglected, every year they produce a beautiful crop of lovely flowers)

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon awl, and Happy Birthday to Baz.

After a rough night I spent half the morning dozing in front of the PC, despite a long list of small but irritating jobs that need doing.  I've now had more coffee and two rounds of roast beef & horseradish sandwich and am raring to go resigned to getting on with stuff.  Only some tasks will be completed as there's too much to do in one day, but at least I won't get distracted by additional stuff as Mrs mole is off to a friend's for an afternoon playing tunes in the garden.  A pile of cardboard boxes awaits sorting; which do I keep for posting sales, which are good for storing Lego/trains/stuff, which get recycled, which do I keep on hoarding?

Nice to see Debs posting.

Have a good day, stay elfy.

Pete

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Ben the sleeping collie, has just returned me from a long walk.  

A little windy but otherwise very nice, more butterflies than I'd ever seen before at one time and quite a few dragonflies. Lots of wildflowers around. 

Missing from my boat report Was The jib club,  I found it had a glue line failure, I think from when I accidentally stood on it.   So that's been reglued and is clamped up.. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is also cannabis grown commercially here in Essex (duly licenced of course) the site is secret but I recognised the farm in question. 

It's grown 'commercially' round here but you can't see the farms.  Some days you can smell it as you enter the estate.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8