The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Did he; this was the 1940s, he had a dog as a pet, it was a Lab and black, so he called it Nibber.  We all call our pets 'cute' names, offensiveness was probably the last thing he thought of but its where we have brought ourselves in this headlong quest for inclusivity and political correctness.  Its got to the point of being ridiculous and doing more harm than good to the offended!:rolleyes:

Brian.

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

At the very least Gibson had to have known it was highly offensive.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Happy anniversary to the Wasses.

Dave

I had to read that twice!... shows my eyes are ready for umpiring... lack of focus, blind patches and of course Iam virtually stone deaf... "WHAT DID YOU SAY DAVE???"

:dirol_mini:

baz

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The leg is getting sore again but if I walk up and down a couple of times it seems to get a little less sore. Now that I have a delivery date for the shed I can prepare a few things for it such as shelves, well the materials anyway as once its up I can get the tape measure out and measure up.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

I had to read that twice!... shows my eyes are ready for umpiring... lack of focus, blind patches and of course Iam virtually stone deaf... "WHAT DID YOU SAY DAVE???"

:dirol_mini:

baz

Sounds like you would make a fine Premier League referee Baz.

And no, I didn't write what you first thought I did.

Happy umpiring and watch out for the offside rule.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Both of this morning’s shopping trips were successful, in that in each shop I was able to obtain all that was on the list. It was quite pleasant standing in the sun whilst waiting to enter the butchers, makes a change from the recent rain and wind. 

After dinner, I set up the old laptop and after a little research started playing with a few designs for LED circuits, the first few didn’t quite go as I wanted but eventually I managed to get one working how I wanted. Basically, the circuit is a single switch driving 2 LEDs, one of which is on, whilst the other is off depending upon which way the switch is set, but the LEDs aren’t driven directly by the switch itself, but by feedback from a micro switch on a servo driven point motor. Tomorrow I’ll build a test circuit on breadboard and test it with my Point-to-Point system.

Happy anniversary Mr and Mrs Wass 

Goodnight all

• Like 14

Evening all,

My first Cornish pasty was consumed this evening. The verdict is that they are satisfactory, but the meat could have used more seasoning. As a result only half was had, the other will be saved for lunch tomorrow. Half a jumbo sausage roll was also eaten, which was excellent. The sausages will be tested tomorrow for breakfast. 

Dad’s new tube amp arrived today from the caves of Amazon Prime. It’s made in China, but very good for what it is. Some Tracy Chapman was very briefly played on it this evening, and the sound was very good. It seems to be lacking slightly in “oomph” at least IMO.

Stay healthy,

Douglas

1710EF24-31C8-4950-92B4-932D1F2029E6.jpeg
The amp

1F3CFC29-A832-41E8-951A-576681447082.jpeg
The Pasty

F023D6D3-068E-4D25-8222-3F6A40889409.jpeg

The Sausage Roll

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

Stay healthy,

Douglas

1710EF24-31C8-4950-92B4-932D1F2029E6.jpeg
The amp

So now that you have treated us to the the finals, show us the pre. Also what are the sources? TIA

Nice looking, BTW. Give it time to break in as the audiofools say; maybe fifty hours or so.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

So now that you have treated us to the the finals, show us the pre. Also what are the sources? TIA

Nice looking, BTW. Give it time to break in as the audiofools say; maybe fifty hours or so.

It’s an integrated amp, so both are in the same err, box? Next up will be a Bluetooth streaming device added to the current set up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

52 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

It’s an integrated amp, so both are in the same err, box? Next up will be a Bluetooth streaming device added to the current set up. 

If it is the Reisong A10 EL34 Amplifier as shown on Amazon,  I see that the source selector is on the rear panel, so yes it is an integrated. It is not obvious from the front view..

3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... It seems to be lacking slightly in “oomph” at least IMO. ...snip...

image.png.ad95df622a967869f0e2196432897a6e.png6 watts per channel is not a lot of "oomph" unless the speakers are quite sensitive. I had (still have but no longer in use at this time) a set of stacked The Advents on top of Advent Legacy 2s that would go to ear-bleeding levels as one approached 10 watts.

A quote from the sales listing made me laugh:

"Please pay attention before buying, We received feedback from many buyers, reflecting that Reisong A10 Amp have not enough power. Please confirm that your speaker is a bookshelf speakers with a sensitivity 89db or more. We don't think Reisong A10 work well with a floorstanding Speaker or the low sensitivity speakers."

As you can see (read?), one of my passions is audio so I sometimes commit excess bloviation on the subject! :music_mini:

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 hours ago, brianusa said:

Did he; this was the 1940s, he had a dog as a pet, it was a Lab and black, so he called it Nibber.  We all call our pets 'cute' names, offensiveness was probably the last thing he thought of but its where we have brought ourselves in this headlong quest for inclusivity and political correctness.  Its got to the point of being ridiculous and doing more harm than good to the offended!:rolleyes:

Brian.

Hi Brian,

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I had an uncle who fought in the war who used that pejorative and I'm sure he had been using it for many years. It was common in the UK long before WW2 and it was as much a racial slur then as it is now.

I'm not suggesting Gibson was trying to be vindictive or deliberately racist. He probably thought it was amusing but I'm pretty sure that had there been any black airmen in his squadron, they would not have been in the least bit amused, and I wouldn't blame them. In my opinion the notion that Gibson didn't understand the significance of the name is an attempt to re-write history.

Andy

(not far from the former premises of Aryan Nations)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

6 watts per channel is not a lot of "oomph" unless the speakers are quite sensitive. I had (still have but no longer in use at this time) a set of stacked The Advents on top of Advent Legacy 2s that would go to ear-bleeding levels as one approached 10 watts.

Good point. It takes some pretty big tubes (valves on the other side of the Atlantic) to produce a lot of power to drive speakers. My "disco" could fill a fair sized hall with a 15 watt tube amp but the speakers were likely much more efficient than modern speakers.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, 

Not to a bad nights sleep about 6 hours so far,  I'll try for more shortly. 

Barry O's revision of the rules of cricket,  is what many are now doing with the Racing Rules of Sailing. 

Every 4 years they are revised and they just have, so RRS 2021-2024 takes effect on the 1st of January 2021.  On sailing forums there are pages of discussion on what the odd word change here or there mean to a rules intent.  But until challenged cases reach the top level "court" no one is exactly sure.

Some rule changes are simple,  such as,  when crossing the the start / finish line,  it was any part of the boat or crew that counted,  now it's the hull.  That's actually a reversion back to how it was some years ago and makes a big difference on the broads, where there are a high percentage of boats with bowsprits. 

It's obvious why that rule change was made, its a lot harder to spot which bowsprit is which at a distance compared to knowing which hull is in front. 

An oddity was when some people tried painting the bow black,  so as to make it difficult to see them over a crowded start line.  Where as on the finishing line it's not normally crowded so they would be seen.  That soon got stopped under the unfair sportsmanship rules. 

Plans for today,  barbeque site making,  which unfortunately starts with digging two short holes in the ground for foundations. 

A little sanding trial will probably happen, as new sanding pads ( they are like pan scrubbers)  have arrived.  They are the recommended type for preparing this type of varnish for it's next coat. 

Time to roll over and snore.. 

• Like 18

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

600 years after the end of the Roman Empire,  the doomsday book records 10% of the population of the UK as slaves and that probably no different from the rest of Europe.

Eh - no it didn't. It didn't even record the population of all of modern England:

"The Domesday Book was commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The first draft was completed in August 1086 and contained records for 13,418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees (the border with Scotland at the time)."

and

"The survey does not cover London (city), Winchester, Northumberland and Durham or much of north-west England; the only parts of Wales included are certain border areas."

That said, there definitely was still slavery in the British Isles at that time, and apparently something that looked very like slavery for several hundred years after that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Britain

Edited by pH
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 10