The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Sunny!

and in more ways than one. Herself has come back from a Hairdressing appointment.. Must have cost us loads of modelling tokens.. PAH!

Hope JSB is ok.. his latest post has a sudden ending.. could be a low flying grass beasty has got to him??

Baz

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I now have to give way to get to the loo in this pub in Reigate. Will have to allow more time between pints.

20200717_143229.jpg

The man on the high stool needs to be shifted.. particularly if you are waiting for the OAP to get past?:jester:

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations, your worship. ;)

Still raining.  Windy now too, humbug. 

Old Farts bike club breakfast was a car club breakfast, due to the precipitation, bar one hardy soul (Ex-police motorcyclist - tuff).  I got a lift from a pal so I could enjoy his new (ish) Lexus he has acquired, rather swish.  The cream leather interior would soon be grubby if it was mine!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Barry O said:

...snip... I hope JSB is ok.. his latest post has a sudden ending.. could be a low flying grass beasty has got to him??

Baz

Thank you, sir but I hit the save button before finishing writing the post. I went back and completed it via the edit function.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sunny here, which means it's probably coming down in stair rods at Market Drayton

Ah I hope you are therefore indoors  watching "Home is where the art is" there is a short glimpse of ceramic hippos.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

The man on the high stool needs to be shifted.. particularly if you are waiting for the OAP to get past?:jester:

Baz

It's much wider there than it looks in the photo as he is sitting in the bay window area away from the thorough fare

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

at that time in the UK (early 1940s) I very much doubt it... no one complained about Robertsons Golly W!gs until the 1970s...

Baz

And the word was freely used in novels well into the 60's.  The main character in In the Wet by Nevil Shute has the n word as his nickname as he was part aboriginal.  One of my ex colleagues once described going into court in the West Indies in the 70's. All the lawyers and the judge were black and the defence barrister described the defendant as a "no good n***** from down the docks". Apparently  it was used on the island as a general term for a lazy workshy induvidual.  Things only started to change in the 80's as far as I remember.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Wass on your anniversary. Good news is that they've given me a date for the delivery and construction of my shed, 29th July. I found out yesterday that the optician is doing eye tests, my distant vision is OK but I need new reading glasses. Now to get a bit more of that walking exercise by going down to the chippy for chish and fips. Be back later.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

It's been sanitised

More than likely because in it I discussed the N word (which, I'm told, seems to be in common usage in contemporary  [c]rap 'music'.

Currently on today's 6th muggatea - Yorkshire of course and made properly (I even went to teh extent of topping up the kettle with cold water before finally boiling it after using some of its hot water to warm the teapot.  The (main) fridge is back in operation, the mini 'fridge has therefore been taken out of use and the middle size fridge is being partially repurposed.  The RM has today entered the house from its quarantine sojourn out in the garage room - it contains something by a bloke called Peters about an Ogauge layout and I'm sure I've come across his name elsewhere.

Hearty congratulations to John and Mrs Wass - that's some innings (but then it is, I believe, in Yorkshire so you'd expect a high scoring innings).

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

75% of our tea bag material is natural-based fibres: a mix of wood pulp and either abaca (a kind of banana plant) or rayon (made from woodpulp). 25% is an oil-based plastic sealing material called polypropylene

So natural materials coated entirely in plastic. Definitely not compostable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

Greetings all from a sunny Sidcup- work has been frantic but the big news is that Younger Lurker has now finished primary school. They managed a kind of socially distanced leavers assembly by dividing the year into 6 lots of 15 and allowing only one parent to go; we both went because Mrs Lurker works there.

have a good day all

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And let's not forget the famous (or is infamous) Long Island Iced Tea*, which is - or so I am led to understand - a little bit alcoholic.

Long Island Iced Tea is not based in any way on tea leaves.

The name is reflective of the colour - the drink includes cola (along with multiple clear spirits, vodka, gin, rum, tequila etc).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

So natural materials coated entirely in plastic. Definitely not compostable.

no it is used to seal the bag top to keep the tea in apparently.. and when it comes out of our compost bins .. the plastic "strip" is tiny. You struggle to see it. The new bags will have a biodegradeable strip. We have had the same stuff wrapped round out IET News magazine for a while ..it is not cheap so they have gone back to that paper envelope type technology.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 14

17 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

More than likely because in it I discussed the N word (which, I'm told, seems to be in common usage in contemporary  [c]rap 'music'.

Yes, in America, its used by younger members of the ghetto or the Rap Game to refer to people of any race who they are friends with. This has been common practice since at least the 1970s. On occasion it can be used as part of a threat during gang wars. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

Gents, conversation since last night (my time) has been enlightening. I grew up in a dreadfully racist time in Australia. At that time (the 1970s), Australia was finally moving away from a conscious and deliberate immigration policy literally called the "White Australia Policy". (Sadly this mindset still exists.)

My little brother was given a Golliw0g as his stuffed toy. "Little Black Samb0" was on the bookshelf. That travesty called "The Black and White Minstrel Show" was rebroadcast on the ABC.

I was taught to fear the native Australians (who at that time could be seen sitting in a circle in Anzac Square passing around a paper bag) as "other". As schoolboys we told repellent "jokes" about Aboriginals, though we used a different word. At the time I realized this was awful but participated with the peer pressure of the schoolyard. We also told similar jokes about people with medical conditions - one in particular that has greatly impacted one of our ER community who I have no wish to hurt by naming it. It makes me cringe to recall this behaviour.

At some point on my journey I came to see this for exactly what it is.

Pejorative names designating a ethnic or national group have always intended to offend. That people used them regularly without a thought that such words are intentionally derogatory is prima facie evidence of systemic racism. I don't mean to be preachy but the fact that such terms are used obliviously is the very definition of systemic racism.

Regarding the Dambusters raid, it is a worthy British accomplishment in a time where, outside North Africa, there were very few worthy British accomplishments to celebrate. Its place in British culture reminds me of how important the battles of Trenton and Princeton at the end of 1776 are to Americans celebrating the success of George Washington in the revolutionary war. 

The campaign to cross the Delaware on Christmas Day (arguably a reconnoiter in force) resulted in Washington retreating from Cornwallis. Washington was brilliant at retreat in good order. (Long Island, Harlem Heights, White Plains, etc).  While a tactical victory and morale booster it had zero strategic impact other than Cornwallis posted his outer pickets closer to New York for the remainder of the winter of early 1777. Similarly Operation Chastise was a tactical success but the notion that it somehow irreparably harmed the Wehrmacht commensurate with the sort of rah rah Americans have for crossing the Delaware is misplaced. At most it reduced production in the Rhur for a period of four months and most of the casualties were Soviet forced labourers.

Yes it made for a great movie, with a tremendous score.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Long Island Iced Tea is not based in any way on tea leaves....

I know. :D

I was being a bit ironic about it being “a little bit alcoholic” (and the recipe IS at the bottom of my post: equal parts of everything except the cola...

Perhaps we should start creating our own ER cocktails. If we have a resident Barista, perhaps he could create the HappyHippo or The Polybear
I know what the iL Dottore cocktail would be: a reinterpretation of the classic Negroni

So, for want of a better way to spend a Friday evening, I’d like to ask my fellow ERs to come up with a cocktail that reflects them or another ER of their choice.

Over to you...

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I know. :D

I was being a bit ironic about it being “a little bit alcoholic” (and the recipe IS at the bottom of my post: equal parts of everything except the cola...

Perhaps we should start creating our own ER cocktails. If we have a resident Barista, perhaps he could create the HappyHippo or The Polybear
I know what the iL Dottore cocktail would be: a reinterpretation of the classic Negroni

So, for want of a better way to spend a Friday evening, I’d like to ask my fellow ERs to come up with a cocktail that reflects them or another ER of their choice.

Over to you...

It would be a bit pointless for me to do so ...

:jester:

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Good evening all, some 15 hours since last read of the thread!

Tea (so  much controversial discussion!)

13 hours ago, chrisf said:

For me the milk goes in before the boiling water.  This is because I use leaf tea infused in a ceramic teapot and decanted into the mug, cup or bucket via a strainer.  There is nothing to stop me adding more milk if necessary.

Chris

On 16/07/2020 at 17:12, chrisf said:

It is most reassuring that Flavio knows how to make tea.  Sadly most of his countrypersons do not.  They seem to think that a cup of hot water which may have boiled once and into which is dunked a teabag will suffice.  Let me put it this way: I would sooner drink hot chocolate than tea in Switzerland. 

Chris 

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It's not just the Swiss, but anywhere outside of the UK, Australia and New Zealand (I don't include China, Japan or India here as they have very ancient, traditional and venerable tea drinking cultures). It's bad enough on the Continent (but at least the Continent has fine coffee cultures), but the US? Canada? Let me explain very slowly: dunking   a   tea   bag   in   hot   water   is   NOT   "making   tea"!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

iD

* If you have to know: Long Island Ice Tea is vodka, tequila, light rum, triple sec, gin, and a splash of cola

Surely, what one consumes is a personal taste. How the desired beverage  is produced for your consumption may not meet your desired requirements. However, instead of asking for a pot of tea, why not request the ingredients to your specification to be assembled by you?

For me, if I am producing my own cup of tea, I will leave the  teabag in and drink until it slaps me on the nose. Then, I will mash a second cup. My ingredients: tea bag and hot water. Milk, sugar, any other additives, no show!

Edited by BokStein
taste
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1