The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Busy day at work testing things.

Being very careful not to destroy a hand built prototype.....

A careless touch of the speed controller or accidental changing of a CV could have resulted in the release of magic blue smoke.

There is a possible plan to do that at some point just to see what really will kill it - after all the functional testing has been completed!

I had a 5 minute break from work that coincided with this.

(At the risk of the awl, but hey-ho, first proper train since lockdown)

70000 "Britannia" on the northbound Fellsman. And before HH comments - yes it is green and definitely hasn't got panniers.

And my return journey home coincided with a watering stop for the southbound run. (Photo taken leaning on the fence)

70000chatburn.jpg.541625134cd9eaa41603a4011bd7926e.jpg

And finally passing my house - it was quite a wet trek to the fields on the other side.

BTW - I shall declare an interest in BR Standards and have built numerous kits of them before decent RTR. Although I only now have a model of one that was a regular on the line above. (One of Lower Darwen's 76xxx that used to take up banking duties on Whalley Bank)

Mudelling to be done.

Have a good Thursday folks

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening All,

Gardening done this morning and then a trip to dump-it site with various bits and pieces. Walk in the afternoon and a very small bit of modelling but worth it. Balance not been too good today so SWMBO did the driving and eye not feeling quite right either.Think I know what that may be.

May watch a film if SWMBO hurries up from making dog biscuits in the kitchen or otherwise an early night.

Anyway I’ll bid you all a good night and hope you’ve all had a good day.

Robert

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

33 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

A work colleague is exempted because he cannot apply ear-loops around his hearing aid.  

There are alternatives like the head band with buttons mentioned by @TheQ (which I think would be very comfortable, but perhaps embarrassing for a gent) and mask extenders which are usually plastic straps with integral hooks that go around the back of the head for the ear-loops to link into. I have the latter. They are effective, but I struggled to find ones at the House of Strong Women that were long enough, so what I have is snug.

There are also masks that tie around the back of the head.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And my return journey home coincided with a watering stop for the southbound run. (Photo taken leaning on the fence)

70000chatburn.jpg.541625134cd9eaa41603a4011bd7926e.jpg

Mick

Just out of interest Mick, where was thecwatering stop please.

I also like BR standards.

JAMIE92208 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, AndyID said:

Hi Joseph,

What you fail to recognize is that the US is NOT a democracy. If it was Trump would never have been elected so kindly do not level criticisms at the attitudes of the majority of US citizens. If you want to throw rocks at something please throw them at the process that allowed Trump to become POTUS.

Andy

Potentially dodgy territory here. I don't think that the US, constitutionally, is any less democratic than many nations. We have had two elections here in the UK where the party with fewer votes "won" a General Election (i.e. had more MPs and formed a Government).

The problem is that so few people in the US actually participate in that democracy. We have the same problem in the UK. The legitimacy of any election, or a certain referendum, is called into question by the number of no-show voters. I don't want to "throw rocks" but I don't have a lot of time for people who don't use their right to vote - even if that is only to spoil their ballot paper as a protest.

One of the achievements in my life (few of them) that I am proud of is in local politics and democracy. A village that had not had a council election for 42 years, six electoral terms, not only got a second list of candidates together to stand up to the prevailing one-party "state" but went on to win on a 92% turnout. We only failed to have the best turnout in the departement because someone did not do their bit with the postal vote. That result saved the village school which is now thriving again as new families have moved into the village.

In the recent elections (which I was not involved in), not only was there a well-fought campaign between two lists of candidates, but the turnout remained high (80%+) and a good friend became mayor - an Englishman, mayor of a French village.

I "imported" the French list system to our town council elections in England. That has led to much improved Town Council efficiency (even if still not perfect), much better than what went before.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chrisf said:

Going to the shop gets me out of the house.  I was able to examine display samples at close quarters and make an informed choice, given that I had only the vaguest idea of what I wanted.  It's so good that there is still more than one way of making purchases.

Chris

I entirely agree, Chris. But I don't think that Curry's PC World are quite playing the game honestly. They are pretending to be a shop.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

How on earth can they justify treating you like that, if your only input was to see the culprit a short time earlier?  Send the Bear round to sort 'em....

In a small company, it is very important for the boss to have total trust in his staff.

When I saw the driver (colleague) in a bar earlier in the evening, he asked me not to tell the boss that he was there - rather than 200 miles away as he should have been. I agreed not to "tell".

Under the influence of more drink and, no doubt some pressure from les flics, the first thing that the driver said to them was that he had been with me earlier in the evening. So I was in an extremely awkward position when the boss phoned me very early in the morning to ask if I had seen the driver the previous evening. I did not lie but the whole situation caused a lack of trust and I don't blame him for that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Just south of Chatburn station. The timing point on Realtime trains is Chatburn Overbridge 65.

It is used by non-WCRC tours as the water tower at Hellifield is owned by West Coast Railway Company

The old goods shed is just behind me in the above pic.

The goods yard (like many others) is now an industrial estate.

chatburn1.jpg.d2ed9c33c4edef6511778a8dac37b08a.jpg

Water is pumped from a road tanker. There is a railway connection with the coach. It is in the colours of Fraser Eagle (from Accrington). They used to have the national contract for organising rail replacement services. For Chris116 - It has since been converted into a transporter for a stock car. (Keith Clement Auto Electrics - who used to use the good shed - had offspring that raced stock cars and minstox)

chatburn2.jpg.34f7f6a393f2fdfef585040760b65af6.jpg

This is the overbridge, the Pendle Hotel is on the left, like the station (behind us on the other side of the bridge) is now a private residence) The colour light signal just visible by the Brit is Horrocksford Junction Up distant.

chatburn3.jpg.39480e467ae92c62d2d3f3d0fea92f0a.jpg

I don't recognise that diagram of RK. Is it a modern conversion?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The weather has been pretty awful today, no heavy rain but lots of light showers, so it curtailed the planned bench building. However, I did manage to get the bench partly assembled, in that all the slats are in place, but not yet tightened up. I also need to fit both the stays and rear strap that prevents the slats from opening up! Hopefully, I’ll get it finished tomorrow, but it does look good underneath the workshop window though! 

In between the showers I continued working on the turntable, I finished making the lead, fitting an 8 pin plug on each end. Luckily I tested it once I’d done and found I’d got 2 wires crossed, this thankfully was easily rectified. I also fitted the socket and wiring in the new control panel. This still hasn’t been painted yet, but I want to mark and drill all the holes for the LEDs and switches etc first. When that’s been done, I’ll get it ready for priming and painting.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The problem is that so few people in the US actually participate in that democracy.

That's actually not the problem in the US. It may be true (and there are tactics used to disenfranchise certain groups which I won't go into) but the issue is related to the fact that a very small number of people actually influence the outcome of a presidential election with their vote somewhat independently of turnout. Generally increased turnout is a tide that floats all boats and at the end of the day the electoral college votes are a predetermined total, irrespective of turnout.

Of course everyone's vote counts, but there are key precincts in key swing states which usually turn the outcome. Many states will predictably have a majority for one party's candidate or another.

Whether there is a big turnout or a small turnout these precincts will usually swing the outcome unless the turnout is one-sided. A really big turnout by particular groups can overwhelm this sensitivity.

I'm not talking about the official 'electors' in the electoral college either. Recently, the SCOTUS ruled that so-called 'faithless electors' can be prosecuted but that's largely a hypothetical issue.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Potentially dodgy territory here. I don't think that the US, constitutionally, is any less democratic than many nations. We have had two elections here in the UK where the party with fewer votes "won" a General Election (i.e. had more MPs and formed a Government).

The problem is that so few people in the US actually participate in that democracy. We have the same problem in the UK. The legitimacy of any election, or a certain referendum, is called into question by the number of no-show voters. I don't want to "throw rocks" but I don't have a lot of time for people who don't use their right to vote - even if that is only to spoil their ballot paper as a protest.

One of the achievements in my life (few of them) that I am proud of is in local politics and democracy. A village that had not had a council election for 42 years, six electoral terms, not only got a second list of candidates together to stand up to the prevailing one-party "state" but went on to win on a 92% turnout. We only failed to have the best turnout in the departement because someone did not do their bit with the postal vote. That result saved the village school which is now thriving again as new families have moved into the village.

In the recent elections (which I was not involved in), not only was there a well-fought campaign between two lists of candidates, but the turnout remained high (80%+) and a good friend became mayor - an Englishman, mayor of a French village.

I "imported" the French list system to our town council elections in England. That has led to much improved Town Council efficiency (even if still not perfect), much better than what went before.

Let's not do politics. I come here to escape from them

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...snip... and there are now at least two ladybirds in residence on the plants ...snip...

I had to look that up; after through many references to the late Pres. Johnson's wife, I found that what you call ladybirds we call ladybugs. Very good ones to have around. Once in a while I find one in the house and out the door it goes when I catch it.

• Like 10
  • Funny 4