The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, pgcroc said:

...ELEGOO Mars Pro MSLA 3D Printer UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer with Matrix UV LED Light Source, Built-In Activated Carbon,Off-Line Print 4.53in(L) x 2.56in(W) x 5.9in(H) Printing Size...

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at the YouTube video and it is a most impressive piece of kit. My only concern would be is how manageable, in terms of painting, filing and glueing, is the resulting resin model.

I showed the video to Mrs iD and, unusually, there wasn’t an automatic “no you can’t have that“.

Of course, this initial acceptance could mean that, were I to buy the printer, I might have to fight Mrs iD for its use...

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

some people never get used to wearing a mask. I don't like them for swimming.. a bit bizaare but have to tough it out when using them for other reasons. Her indoors made some lovely masks which fit very we..  and after 10 minutes I forget I am wearing one.. just avoid trying to drink with it on as It is very messy!

@Tony_S As it happens I have lost  chunk of posts from on of my threads today (as in everything back to 1st June(!) I have asked an Admin to look at it.. 

Lots of wood being used in the layout room.. I have not bought enough apparently (I got all of the 2" by 1" I could buy...its a lockdown shortage.. never mind bogrolls I draw a line at PSE 2" by 1" shortages.. flippin heck!

Drive throughs can be very variable .. of course you can get the odd different approach to it

But it isn't a "Tank " its a Dinky Toy (Combat Vehicle Tracked 4T Scorpion .. the USA never had any so it could be an ex British or Belgian Army vehicle..

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm on my second 3D printer. It's one of the computer controlled glue gun variety rather than the messy (and stinky) UV cured resin type.

It's actually very good and it can produce parts that are just as robust or even more robust than injection molded parts. It does not have the same resolution as a resin printer but it's more than adequate for a lot of things.

Before investing in a printer it might be a good idea to submit a few models to one of the print houses (e.g. Shapeways) and evaluate the prints to see if they meet your expectations in terms of detail, finish, strength etc.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I know somebody who did just that!

It was an "accident" (although losing control of the car while reversing at high-speed up a one-way street is perhaps an incident rather than an accident). Anyway, the local police took it as rather more sinister than they might have done for any other retail premises and it all got rather nasty. Made more complex by the fact that it was a company car and it should have been 200 miles away.

As I had seen the culprit only a short time before the incident, it ended up reflecting badly on me and had very negative (and unfair) consequences on my career.

How on earth can they justify treating you like that, if your only input was to see the culprit a short time earlier?  Send the Bear round to sort 'em....

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. On the news, Banksy had put some of his artwork on some underground trains. Its no longer there, the cleaners have removed it. It was done on interior panels that could easily be removed and replaced. Flavio, the ELEGOO mars looks just what I need as well, I'll have to check out whether it can scan. One thing if you look at the 3D printing threads here on RMweb its mentioned that the resin used can pong a bit.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Whichever way up I wear it, the ear loops get entangled with my hearing aids. Pah!

Locally,  people are producing head bands,  with a button on each side. The button replaces the use of the ears to hold masks. Very popular with NHS staff.. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Christmas is cancelled.. Well. It is in the little village of Thursford in Norfolk. 

It has a traction engine and fairground museum.. 

More importantly it receives 30 coach loads of people a day  in November and December , the owner arranges a traditional variety Christmas show at a theatre between the exhibits.

Exceedingly popular, it's 100,000 tickets are often sold out in a couple of weeks,  before the previous years show. 

90% of the visitors are from outside Norfolk,  it's going to hit the local hotels,  b&bs etc.. 

Rehearsals would have started September.. Not this year... 

• Friendly/supportive 18

The worm gear on the right is printed in PETG filament (PolyEthylene Terephthalate Glycol if you must know :) )

DSCN4922.JPG.9cf612a8c0f05f532d5b4c33545cf486.JPG

It's very strong and hard wearing. The hole is enlarged to accommodate a metal bush.

It would be possible to print the same thing in resin but it would be pretty useless. Assuming the teeth didn't immediately break off they would wear away in no time.

So it very much depends on what you intend to do with the objects you print.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

My intention with a 3D printer is to produce components for code 3 models. For example I have a couple of road vehicle models that I want to use in a British setting. However they are left hand drive but the dashboards on these models simply plug into the floor. My idea is to scan the dashboard, flip the image and print a mirror copy. Up to now I have seen attempts to alter these models by modifying and carving up the existing dash but these have not been a great success. In this case resin would be the ideal medium as it is better for fine detail.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Snip<

If anyone thinks a mask is awful I did once, for a bizarre reason, try to play soccer in a full NBC suit complete with an S10 respirator. A great way of losing weight rapidly!

Was that just after reading Tony Hawks  'Around Ireland with a Fridge' by any chance? :D

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pgcroc said:

Hi

I am getting a 3D printer on a recommendation from a fellow MERG member.

At the moment I am stuck in Cyprus until I can get a flight back to the UK so am unable to test it.

Recommendation was for an;

ELEGOO Mars Pro MSLA 3D Printer UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer with Matrix UV LED Light Source, Built-In Activated Carbon,Off-Line Print 4.53in(L) x 2.56in(W) x 5.9in(H) Printing Size

Available from Amazon.

Might be worth watching a YouTube video

As I have not tried it yet I believe what my friend says. 

Usual disclaimers.

Is that a 3D printed hippo in the middle?

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Was that just after reading Tony Hawks  'Around Ireland with a Fridge' by any chance? :D

No .. the "new" graduates at Vickers Defence Systems all went on a two week "assimilation" visit to the Armour Centre at Bovington. I knew most of them and I was "cajoled" to joining in a game of soccer (no NBC gear mentioned at all!)  I did do it but never again.. still have the scars on my shins today...bit it made sure I was less worried about masks (but still don't like them).

Baz

PS never read the book or saw the film but it sounds like I should do sometime!

• Like 12

The neighbourhood is a hive of activity. Yesterday a team of people with noisy, internal-combustion powered, brush-cutters were clearing the understory in the forested creek bed near a park.

Work also began on moving a crosswalk / pedestrian crossing closer to the high school. The new and improved crosswalk will have warning flashing lights. The tracked, excavator stationed there last week has bred and now there are three of them, along with dump trucks and trailers.

A car sized hole (about 18" deep) has been excavated for the refuge in the median and a forest of orange warning pylons to divert traffic appeared. Exactly what the full-size pick up truck does along with the attendants standing adjacent to the hole do is beyond me but it looks frightfully useful.  In addition to the crossing, a sidewalk / footpath is being added. The scope of this seems to include ADA-compliant curb ramps at the next intersection (where my street joins the main road).  The sidewalk improvements seem to require two of the excavators, but I didn't see all them operating simultaneously.

Meanwhile work to rebuild the high school student car park continues. all the old asphalt is long gone and the ground leveled. Work seems to be focused on preparing the islands. The scrawny trees that occupied the old islands look shocked as the new islands are being prepared.

When I was very little I had one of those Richard Scarry picture books like "What Do People Do All Day?" which included people (well, anthropomorphic cartoon animals) working on construction. Back then I enjoyed watching construction projects. I still do. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Richard Scarry picture books

We had quite a few of those. Purchased after seeing “ Busy Town” cartoons on television. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

my idea is to scan the dashboard

Have you seen the cost of scanners? Might be easier to create simple shapes  in a cad program?

Or possibly make a master out of plasticard and make a mould for resin casting. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Barry O said:

No .. the "new" graduates at Vickers Defence Systems all went on a two week "assimilation" visit to the Armour Centre at Bovington. I knew most of them and I was "cajoled" to joining in a game of soccer (no NBC gear mentioned at all!)  I did do it but never again.. still have the scars on my shins today...bit it made sure I was less worried about masks (but still don't like them).

Baz

Remember the wartime ones as a kid and the horrible smell stays with me even now.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

When I was very little I had one of those Richard Scarry picture books like "What Do People Do All Day?" which included people (well, anthropomorphic cartoon animals) working on construction. Back then I enjoyed watching construction projects. I still do. 

The Richard Scarry books were great and the kids loved them ... wonder where they are in terms of the grandchildren.

Congrats and condolences where needed folks as this is the first time for a while that a post has been accepted although am building a new 'layabout Cadley  that is keeping me busy and out of SWMBOs way.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I've not seen the film but have read the book, I liked it. If you get chance to pick a copy up second-hand for a couple of pounds, I'd go for it. Glorious insanity. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

The Richard Scarry books were great and the kids loved them ... wonder where they are in terms of the grandchildren.

Still as popular with ours.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Whichever way up I wear it, the ear loops get entangled with my hearing aids. Pah!

A work colleague is exempted because he cannot apply ear-loops around his hearing aid.  

Hearing disability is included in the broad term "hidden disability" which exempts all who fall within it from wearing face-coverings.  They may, of course, if they wish try another style.  Work colleague prefers to be exempt than wear a face-shield or the impractical (in our situation) bandana or scarf option.  

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1