The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Whereas kids have a natural superhuman belief that they are invincible.....

I thought the expression (for teenagers at least) was “immune, immortal and infertile”.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

You can buy BP gasoline (otherwise known as petrol for some obscure reason) at many filling stations in Eastern parts of the USA.

It might be a relic from when they took over SOHIO to getvaccess to thecAlaskan oilfield IIRC.

Jamie.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

27 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If Trump wants "to make America great again", first point of call is to change the attitude of so many US citizens. A culture of selfishness is never going to enable any country to be "great".

Hi Joseph,

What you fail to recognize is that the US is NOT a democracy. If it was Trump would never have been elected so kindly do not level criticisms at the attitudes of the majority of US citizens. If you want to throw rocks at something please throw them at the process that allowed Trump to become POTUS.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Wearing a mask.. I have no ptoblem with doing that. You can spray or cover your glasses lenses with anti mist.. but get the mask fitted snuggly over the top of the nose..that helps!

If anyone thinks a mask is awful I did once, for a bizarre reason, try to play soccer in a full NBC suit complete with an S10 respirator. A great way of losing weight rapidly!

Today sees a visit my layout collaborator. I have managed to get all the necessary supplies so hopefully things will be achieved.

First though, time to sanitise the house (wipe/danitize all surfaces and doors ..apparently it also includes me hoovering ..pah!

Right I need to carpe diem..I hope you can too!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had to skip through the posts this morning so if I've missed anything important my apologies. The reason is that I booked my car in for a service/mot at 10 this morning and I've just received an e-mail from DHL saying one of the components for the printer that I ordered yesterday will be delivered between 10:25 and 12:25 from Germany!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a dull and wet (outside) start to the day here in the northwest of England, but thankfully the rain has just stopped. However, it may not stay that long, so the re-assembling of the bench may well be disrupted. However, today’s forecast shows no more rain until this afternoon, so I’ll take all the bits from the cellar and store them in the shed, before starting the job done. I think I’m definitely going to need use of the a waterproof kneeling pad this morning.  If the does rain does reappear, then I’ll just carry on with the turntable wiring. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 15

Interesting that what I have thought were called "HAZMAT Suits" are "NBC Suits", although I think the main difference (possibly and I'm wildly guessing here) is the robustness of the material and whether or not in comes in a fetching camo colour.

A quick troll of t'interweb came up with the following:

Civvie

1640935510_HazmatSuits.jpg.e4ac17c80867830c38880f2f340bd043.jpg

Military

144158561_NBC_suits_PhZO-R_OZK-Ph_KZVP_OZK_-_282-NBC-training-center-70.jpg.7058e48eaed9f609c1f36ece1acaa78c.jpg

And for the truly paranoid, may suggest that this website may be of assistance to making you feel safe: https://bestsurvival.org/best-hazmat-suit/

I'm not sure what would be scarier: someone turning up in a yellow Level A suit, or someone turning up in the military equivalent. I suppose it would be down to what SciFi Horror movies one has watched. And those wishing to while away a fear-filled afternoon then this listing (https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=hazmat-suit) will direct you to a rather ecletic mix of films. Some are obviously relevant (e.g. Contagion, Outbreak, The Girl With All The Gifts) others (Space Jam) less so.

I'm off to have lunch and then into the cellar to check on the status of the air raid shelter (like most Swiss houses built during the cold war, it does actually have an air raid shelter) and if Amazon delivers before the weekend, I shall have my very own, Zombie proof, NBC shelter.... :D:P:taunt:

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Nothing to do with Covid. That's the way that Curry's work (or, as I see it, don't work).

If one has to order and then go back to collect, one may as well order online. I don't think that their store network will still be in place in five years' time. A complete waste of resources.

Going to the shop gets me out of the house.  I was able to examine display samples at close quarters and make an informed choice, given that I had only the vaguest idea of what I wanted.  It's so good that there is still more than one way of making purchases.

Chris

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Wet.

Yesterday, I managed to squeeze in a bike ride on the terrace and ended up in spots of rain.  I just got it in before the showers proper started, though.   I missed the sunny bits when making a birthday cake to accompany the trifle, made earlier, which were virtually sent to one of the family.  We liked them. :jester:

Today.

OH engaged in virtual MES business so time for toot on the flute...and a bit of hoovering...and maybe more...  Well, you know how long these things take...:mosking:

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie hanging in there.

Take care and play safe

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning yet again from Estuary-Land. Took the car in and they dropped me off back home at ten. The printer part turned up about an hour ago and a check revealed that all is well. While I was on e-bay I looked up the make and model of laser printer that I have to see what the price was (second hand). A completely refurbished one was £499:99 which IIRC was about the same as I paid for the one I have new about 8 years ago. There was also one that hadn't been used for six months and looked very tatty for £52, probably needing even more attention than my present one. While I was about it I had a look at some 3D printers and just got confused, I think I'll ask the engineer when he comes to do my laser printer what he would suggest. Just heard from the workshop servicing my car, it needs new tyres on the front for the MoT £90 fitted but the car now won't be available until tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

My boats gone from it's mooring the motor boat that is..  (as seen on the Sailing club web cam)

This is where it gets expensive.. it's gone for a lift -antifoul- boating equivalent of the MOT.

I also note from the club Web cam there appears to be an intruder on the club quay... The name on that motor boat is that of  a hire craft.. the same as someone else parking on your driveway with out permission. Very busy on the broads at the moment , i'm guessing they couldn't get on the village staithe..

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

.... While I was about it I had a look at some 3D printers and just got confused, I think I'll ask the engineer when he comes to do my laser printer what he would suggest...

If you would be so kind as to pass on your engineer’s recommendations that would be most helpful.
I have been contemplating getting a 3-D printer for awhile, but it’s really difficult to determine what really is the best 3-D printer for the quality you want at the price you want to pay. 
Apart from the obvious, making bits and pieces for the model railway, I also think a 3-D printer would be very helpful for making repairs on those items for which you can no longer get spare parts. My much loved, and stylish, Kenwood kettle is still functional (and used) although due to the failure of one side of a small plastic part, what was done at a push of a button is now a bit more complicated. A quick 3-D scan of the semi complete part and a little computer manipulation I think would allow me to produce a 3-D printer replica of the needed part. Most useful I would say.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I understand from a pal who used to deal with the licences taht you need a licence to abstaract water from the Thames although I presume that only applies to commercial users.  For Flavio's information out pharmacist has to carry out an annual check talking through with us the various medications we take, asking about side effects plus general health question and so on - the form he completes runs to a couple of sides of A4.  I understood from him that it is a requirement, not just something that Tesco pharmacy do off their own back and it is additional to medication reviews with the GP.

Must go - the vacuum apparently needs to cleaned and I'm on the ground floor team - of one.

Have a good day.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll be quite happy to ask him on your behalf Flavio. My requirements are different to yours so I'll be more specific when I ask as what might suit my requirements might not suit yours. My requirement is to be able to scan an object and reproduce it in reversed form retaining some very fine detail. The scanning element will no doubt add to the cost but it might be something that you will not require. I will of course mention your requirements to him and see what he has to say.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I have been contemplating getting a 3-D printer for awhile, but it’s really difficult to determine what really is the best 3-D printer for the quality you want at the price you want to pay. 

Hi

I am getting a 3D printer on a recommendation from a fellow MERG member.

At the moment I am stuck in Cyprus until I can get a flight back to the UK so am unable to test it.

Recommendation was for an;

ELEGOO Mars Pro MSLA 3D Printer UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer with Matrix UV LED Light Source, Built-In Activated Carbon,Off-Line Print 4.53in(L) x 2.56in(W) x 5.9in(H) Printing Size

Available from Amazon.

Might be worth watching a YouTube video

As I have not tried it yet I believe what my friend says. 

Usual disclaimers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My last post seems to have disappeared. I don’t think it contained anything likely to have been deemed of interest to moderators.

It is rather overcast here, looks as if it could rain but forecast not to. 
The coronary unit at Basildon Hospital rang me last night for a chat so I am glad things are beginning to happen. Still no dates but Basildon rather than Southend is where they do things rather than just investigate.

Not a lot happening today. Lots of recycling lorries and postal vehicles. No packages for me but Aditi’s packet of seeds arrived. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pH said:

I thought the expression (for teenagers at least) was “immune, immortal and infertile”.

Sounds about right for many.  And for those and others "Immoral" can replace or supplement "Immortal" ;)   If this morning's news is anything to go by we may at least have only to wait 80 more years to be rid of the young generation as the birth rate falls through floors and populations are predicted to shrink dramatically.  I don't suppose I shall be around to enjoy the lack of "yoof" :jester:

Drive-through

The village pharmacy would only be a drive-through if someone (see previous paragraph, perhaps) were to conduct their vehicle at right-angles to the carriageway, avoid the large horse-chestnut tree right outside and then enter via the window.  Leaving would be by way of the dispensary and back door hopefully stopping before meeting our own back fence a few metres beyond.  

The regular pharmacist does not wear a face-covering but is careful to stand at such distance as the small premises allow from you.  The card-reader for payment is set up to offer at least one metre  separation between customer and shopkeeper but he continues to use his private consultation room for essential face-to-face sessions.  Today we had the locum behind the counter who is sporting one of those offensive-looking angled-outward face shields meaning lips and expressions can be seen but one must remember to stand farther back than normal when dispensing to avoid collision between shield and shelf.   The accidental moment of contact was, I am afraid to say, mildly amusing to witness.  

The UK hasn't taken to "drive-thru" services in the way that the US and Australia in particular have done.  My Australian memories are still scarred with the sights of utes and trailers queuing at drive-through "bottle-o" (off-licence) venues at which many hundreds of dollars might be spent per transaction when topping up for the weekend.  It was nothing to watch a trailer being loaded with 20 - 30 slabs (that's 30 tinnies / stubbies per slab) of beer, several cases and casks ofd wine and numerous bottles of spirits and mixers.  The mixers were for the kids of course ;)  The rest was for the Saturday barbie.  Which probably lasted from mid afternoon until the following sunrise.  

Nothing else much to report on thus far today.  We breathe, we stand up, we get paid.  And for those we are thankful.  Best wishes to all and generous thoughts to those who have difficulty with any of items one to three.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The intruding Hire boat has departed, something to do with the Club Model sailboat racing being on they were probably told to B ***er off politely..

Helms on shore carefully distanced..even if their boats aren't.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 81C said:

Morning All

sunny and bright

Team Boris was slow to implement the wearing of masks in stores and you get the moaner who don't like wearing them bleating like little children because of the enforcement 

if mask wearing saves just one life it's a job well done as for the moaners get a live as the man wearing the mask standing next to you may not be able to pass this horrible death

onto the bleaters or others THINK ABOUT IT. :punish:

No sign of GDB any-one heard anything ? I'll phone him if there is still a no show by the weekend.:pilot:

Went to collect some food from Horrorsons Canvey Island for a Wake this morning they all way seem to have a "Jobs-worth" behind the service counter in their stores. :crazy:

My other half has got a new mattress being delivered today I can't wait, today I woke with lower back pain again.:spiteful:

Enjoy your day stay safe and mind the gap.:superman: Roger Intonite.:biggrin_mini2:

I better not comment on here any more then

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 81C said:

stay safe and mind the gap

For maximum safety please mind the gap is at least 1m.  1.5m or 2m in places where so required. ;) 

3 hours ago, 81C said:

Roger Intonite

Not while social distancing you're not.  See above :O :jester:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14