The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Submarines..propellors...nope they use oars..honest go check.

NHN what were they doing in Crimdon Dene? (Not a patch on how it used to be whenn I worked there as a school holiday job.)

As it happens I have to do some revision tomorrow as it is a long time since I wielded the fickle finger of fate doing some umpiring.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all, ...snip... Said future one has a large brick turret, the interior of which looks very similar to that of Josiah Wedgwood's early bottle kilns,  ...snip...

Well stay healthy,

Douglas

Photos please, that sounds like the "bottle" kilns that were used by several early ceramic insulator manufacturers. Serious question: "interior" or do you mean "exterior"?

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Photos please, that sounds like the "bottle" kilns that were used by several early ceramic insulator manufacturers. Serious question: "interior" or do you mean "exterior"?

I do mean the interior, I haven’t got any photos unfortunately, it would have been rude to take any on my “shadow” day. The exterior just looks like a normal brick spire. Inside there is a large cast iron staircase to the all various floors. I would find some photos from the internet of the exterior but I don’t think the school would like that. 

• Like 12

Ford has brought back the Bronco in the US. Don't know if it will be available in Europe. Judging from the number of Wranglers Jeep is selling around here I suspect Ford thought it better do something PDQ.

I had an '89 Bronco and it certainly was a "go anywhere" vehicle if more than slightly "agricultural". It had four wheel drive but you had to stop and manually engage dog clutches at the front wheel hubs to supply power to the front. The drive shaft from the transfer case to the rear axle was very short and included the weirdest (but quite effective) constant-velocity joint I've ever seen. I imagine the new Bronco is completely different.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Also today we also had our first temperature check to enter a bar...

It'd be more helpful if they simply my asked potential customers if they'd been "feeling hot".

IR measurement of facial skin temperature is not a reliable means of deducing core temperature  (elevated, or otherwise). The accurate and accepted methods might put customers off though! 

Comparison of the 3 best methods (aural, rectal and thoracic) - and by "best" I don't mean pleasant* - show a range of roughly 0.25 deg. C.

So you can imagine how far off skin temperature would be, before you throw in environmental and physical factors; cold or hot day, walked briskly or drove to pub...

* all 3 at once is in a class of its own. The thoracic one is a wire up the nose and down tbe throat to the level of the heart. Try not to boff as it tickles the back of your throat. 

The aural one has to touch the ear drum then be moved back about 1mm. Again try not to boff.

Technically for a rectal thermometer the worst that can happen is getting the lead caught in the wheel of an exercise bike and tearing the elastoplast off your inner thigh, followed by having a colleague hold you up by the scruff of your neck/ NBC suit whilst you reinsert the wire to the regulation depth.

Happy days!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 873 / 546,

A good nights sleep, till 01:40, then I was awoken by Ben the Unsettled Collie pacing the floor.. I got up and offered him out which he didn't want. Then I retired to the sofa, and Ben to his bed although Ben did get up a couple of times during the rest of the night he was a lot more settled.  my total sleep about 6.5 hours..

Ben did want reassurance and cuddles out on patrol this morning, I wonder if he had, had more bad dreams..

On TV they were talking about the take up of mask wearing in the UK and reckoned is was 36%  well from what I've seen it's more like 3.6 % or less. I will well come the enforced wearing of masks in shops if it does happen..

50% cloud cover, recent rain, but otherwise a nice morning.

At Norwich airport are a line of 6  HS146 aircraft marked up as BRA Airline, interestingly they are not listed as being part of the BRA fleet that I can find on the net, and BRA appears not to have any routes from Norway to the UK, they being a Norwegian company. While parked their tail cone airbrakes seem to open and close in the wind.

The Boss had an unprogrammed working at home day yesterday, which was awkward, as he wanted to have a look at this weeks major equipment before I started, as it is I'm about half way through, if he comes in today..

We've been sent forms to fill in and emailed back every day , have we been in contact with anyone with the virus? etc...

My desk has been surrounded by cardboard and plastic window separators between me and the partitioned corridors as have many others. The problem is it's playing havoc with the AC air flows and my desk is now a freezer..

Time to... Print off that form , sign it, Photo copy it, send it back..

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning All from a grey but calm and dry North Salopshire. This morning we will be going to our local organic farm for a walk and then to pick up some supplies from their shop - whilst wearing masks of course. Then this afternoon may well see some muddling; well, one can live in hope. Stay safe and well everyone. Time for muggocoffee to advance the waking up process.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning in this part of the world.  The forecast is for around 30°C later this afternoon, with the chance of showers later on.

There isn't a lot else to report, so have a good day everyone...

• Like 19

We're in full mandatory mask wearing in indoor spaces accessible to the public and outdoor spaces where distancing cannot be maintained. I couldn't assess compliance - I'm not looking for it and most people are covered indoors.

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bit of a dull, but dry start to the day with no evidence of overnight rain. Breakfast has now been consumed and I’ll shortly head downstairs to the cellar and continue painting the bench. Hopefully I’ll get it all finished today, which will I can to rebuild it tomorrow.

Sheila ordered a pair of face masks (one each) last night, as she has a hair appointment next week, which will be the first time she’s been out since lockdown started. I was quite happy to wear my industrial type face masks but Sheila thought they might scare people!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2