The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

48 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Morning all (just!)

I finally gave up waiting for the dentist to get back to me about refitting my crown onto the implant and called them this morning.  They didn’t say as much, but had clearly forgotten about me.  Appointment arranged for three weeks time, so I will have to put up with the metal stub sticking up for that time.

A late uncle of mine thought his crown a poor job when it came off, he filed it suit what he thought was right and stuck back in with super glue, it never came loose again!!(not that I am recommend this, it seems this self medical attention runs in our family)

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

What a morning!  Went to woodyard to be met by  a man wheeling out a pile of 2" by !" (nominal) planed wood.. yep he had bought all their stock! Guy at the counter said he had done that twice in the last two weeks and is no longer regarded as a "trade" customer - they found out he has a little shop selling hardware - he told them he was a "house improver".

Got the wood at Homebase (which said it had none!) after trying another wood yard who also had no 2" by 1"...

Off to Barber "no appointments necessary" well mine is for next Monday.

Our Pharmacy can order repeat prescriptions. I ring them up (but I could also email them apparently) takes about 3 or 4 days. I can also order them direct from the surgery  by email or phone call.

Time to get on with the rest of Monday...

Baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Then there are the funicular railways across the Monongahela River from downtown - the Duquesne Incline and the Monongahela Incline (35°35').

I have ridden the Monongahela but the Duquesne was out-of-service at that time and just barely escaped demolition. I have also ridden the Victoria Peak Tram in Hong Kong; very nice ride with a spectacular view.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The DHL-shipped Atlas ConnDot cars just arrived a few minutes ago and had been opened for a customs/security inspection based on this sticker and  DHL repacked tape on the package:

100_0460.JPG.4108076fd5e0a8049a906f4dc97f00c8.JPG

In case that you are wondering ConnDot is Connecticut Department of Transportation. This one will be a sacrificial lamb and exchange its two-rail chassis with another three-rail car that I have;     here is one of the cars:

100_0459.JPG.4d1515c44ed215bb657264cac7cdc9bb.JPG

And (as promised) the tracking history:

Waybill: 35nnnnnnn
Monday, July 13, 2020 at 08:49  With delivery courier  
Origin Service Area: BOGOTA - BOGOTA, DC - COLOMBIA
Destination Service Area: CHARLOTTE, NC - CHESTER - USA
Scheduled Delivery: Today by End of Day 1 Piece

Friday, July 10, 2020 at 07:59  Arrived at Sort Facility GREENSBORO -
Estimated Delivery: Friday, July 10, 2020 By End of Day   1 Piece
The Estimated Delivery Date is currently unavailable.  Please try again later   1 Piece

Monday, July 13, 2020                                                 Location                                                                                     Time      Piece
22     Delivered - Signed for by: D KINGSTON     CHESTER                                                     10:53     1 Piece
21     With delivery courier     CHARLOTTE, NC - USA                                                                                    08:49     1 Piece
Friday, July 10, 2020                                                Location                                                                                     Time     Piece
20     Arrived at Sort Facility GREENSBORO - USA     GREENSBORO, NC - USA                     07:59    1 Piece
19     Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB - USA     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA               06:47    1 Piece
Thursday, July 09, 2020                                                Location                                                                                     Time     Piece
18     Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                                     21:54     1 Piece
17     Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB - USA  CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA     06:07     1 Piece
16     Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                               05:31     1 Piece
15     Shipment on hold     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                                                              02:30     1 Piece
Wednesday, July 08, 2020                                  Location                                                                     Time     Piece
14     Departed Facility in MIAMI GATEWAY - USA     MIAMI GATEWAY, FL - USA               23:27     1 Piece
13     Processed at MIAMI GATEWAY - USA     MIAMI GATEWAY, FL - USA                                     21:42     1 Piece
12     Arrived at Sort Facility MIAMI GATEWAY - USA     MIAMI GATEWAY, FL - USA                     21:36     1 Piece
11     Customs status updated     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                                                     18:56     
10     Departed Facility in SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA     SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA                     15:55     1 Piece
9     Transferred through SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA     SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA                     15:53     1 Piece
8     Arrived at Sort Facility SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA     SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA                     15:51     1 Piece
7     Departed Facility in PANAMA CITY - PANAMA     PANAMA CITY - PANAMA                     05:45     1 Piece
6     Processed at PANAMA CITY - PANAMA     PANAMA CITY - PANAMA                                 01:00     1 Piece
5     Arrived at Sort Facility PANAMA CITY - PANAMA  PANAMA CITY - PANAMA                     00:44     1 Piece
Tuesday, July 07, 2020                                                Location                                                                                     Time     Piece
4     Arrived at Sort Facility BOGOTA - COLOMBIA     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                     21:51     1 Piece
3     Departed Facility in BOGOTA - COLOMBIA     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                     21:09     1 Piece
2     Processed at BOGOTA - COLOMBIA     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                                     19:58     1 Piece
1     Shipment picked up     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                                                         17:02     1 Piece

Edited by J. S. Bach
to correct a small grammar error
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to build a nanoblock kit of a wombat (those nice cuddly australian marsupials).. The blocks are tiny and my patience is being tested.. alot!

Baz

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

when we were in San Diego on the 80s, Jill went sailing with an American friend in the harbour area and while he was below and she was steering the boat she drifted across the bows of the USS Vincent, then I think the largest warship afloat.

CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson? *

While I expect things are still the same for vessels underway, protocols in San Diego harbor for moored vessels changed after the 2000 attack on the USS Cole in Yemen. Moored capital vessels are surrounded by a floating boom which is then rigorously patrolled by very fast small craft mounting a very visible and very large automatic firearm. Anyone sailing too close to the boom will be hailed by the small boat in a very intimidating manner.

There was big news yesterday over an explosion and fire aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) which is moored alongside a wharf in San Diego for repairs. 24 hours later the fire still rages.

* Carl Vinson was a congressman who was responsible for the Vinson-Trammell Act ("First Vinson Act") of 1934, the Naval Act of 1938, (known as the Second Vinson Act), and the the Two-Ocean Navy Act of 1940, (also known as the Vinson-Walsh Act) which were collectively responsible for the US Navy's level of preparation (in great contrast to the US Army) when hostilities began in 1941.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

A late uncle of mine thought his crown a poor job when it came off, he filed it suit what he thought was right and stuck back in with super glue, it never came loose again!!(not that I am recommend this, it seems this self medical attention runs in our family)

My first boss filled one of his teeth with Isopon P38 car filler! Again, this is not a recommendation.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, BokStein said:

My first boss filled one of his teeth with Isopon P38 car filler! Again, this is not a recommendation.

I've twice had to mend my good lady's false teeth with brass rods and araldite. The ends of the brass pegs look like gold. The dental school wanted to know who had done the repair and did the person want a job.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Funny 2

First day of actually going into the office of new job tomorrow.

A very early start but had a good day at the SeaLife centre today.

Last little bit of model railway spending this week as I must start saving for potential new car in August. Problem is used car prices are fairly high at the moment but current car has it's MOT in September. I'd rather not spend £200/£300 on it if I'm looking to get rid soon. But it is a complete workhorse - 154,000 miles, petrol, still going strong. Always said the engine will outlive the car. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, pH said:

Just noticed, at 1.08 pm, that a parcel I’m expecting has been processed at the local post office at 3.16 pm. 

(Actually, it is coming from a seller in the Eastern time zone, so I assume all tracking times are in Eastern time i.e. our time plus 3 hours. Weird to see, though.)

No, that's apparently not the right explanation. At 11.35AM, it's now shown as having gone back to a previous mail centre, and having been received there at 4.53PM. I'm confused!

(Edit. And in further news - at 11.44AM, my sports-viewing app tells me that the match I want to watch started at 12 noon. The world is leaving me behind!)

Edited by pH
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had my hair cut this afternoon so I'm feeling a little light headed. I have disposed of the extra wheelbarrow, talking to a neighbour he mentioned that he was on the lookout for one, so I offered it to him for what I was owed for sending the other one back and he accepted.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

While I expect things are still the same for vessels underway, protocols in San Diego harbor for moored vessels changed after the 2000 attack on the USS Cole in Yemen. Moored capital vessels are surrounded by a floating boom which is then rigorously patrolled by very fast small craft mounting a very visible and very large automatic firearm. Anyone sailing too close to the boom will be hailed by the small boat in a very intimidating manner.

I've sailed quite close to a Polaris floating dock that was in The Holy Loch. Probably USS Canopus (alternative spellings are available) and they didn't seem too concerned by our presence. They were concerned that anyone would be able to see the subs prop. It was covered by a gigantic tarp.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, AndyID said:

I've sailed quite close to a Polaris floating dock that was in The Holy Loch. Probably USS Canopus (alternative spellings are available) and they didn't seem too concerned by our presence. They were concerned that anyone would be able to see the subs prop. It was covered by a gigantic tarp.

That doesn't surprise me, submarine prop design is a very closely gaurded  set of knowledge as I'm sure Baz will confirm.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The DHL-shipped Atlas ConnDot cars just arrived a few minutes ago and had been opened for a customs/security inspection based on this sticker and  DHL repacked tape on the package:

100_0460.JPG.4108076fd5e0a8049a906f4dc97f00c8.JPG

In case that you are wondering ConnDot is Connecticut Department of Transportation. This one will be a sacrificial lamb and exchange its two-rail chassis with another three-rail car that I have;     here is one of the cars:

100_0459.JPG.4d1515c44ed215bb657264cac7cdc9bb.JPG

And (as promised) the tracking history:

Monday, July 13, 2020 at 08:49  With delivery courier  
Scheduled Delivery: Today by End of Day 1 Piece

Friday, July 10, 2020 at 07:59  Arrived at Sort Facility GREENSBORO -
Estimated Delivery: Friday, July 10, 2020 By End of Day   1 Piece
The Estimated Delivery Date is currently unavailable.  Please try again later   1 Piece

Monday, July 13, 2020                                                 Location                                                                                     Time      Piece
22     Delivered - Signed for by: D KINGSTON     CHESTER                                                     10:53     1 Piece
21     With delivery courier     CHARLOTTE, NC - USA                                                                                    08:49     1 Piece
Friday, July 10, 2020                                                Location                                                                                     Time     Piece
20     Arrived at Sort Facility GREENSBORO - USA     GREENSBORO, NC - USA                     07:59    1 Piece
19     Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB - USA     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA               06:47    1 Piece
Thursday, July 09, 2020                                                Location                                                                                     Time     Piece
18     Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                                     21:54     1 Piece
17     Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB - USA  CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA     06:07     1 Piece
16     Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                               05:31     1 Piece
15     Shipment on hold     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                                                              02:30     1 Piece
Wednesday, July 08, 2020                                  Location                                                                     Time     Piece
14     Departed Facility in MIAMI GATEWAY - USA     MIAMI GATEWAY, FL - USA               23:27     1 Piece
13     Processed at MIAMI GATEWAY - USA     MIAMI GATEWAY, FL - USA                                     21:42     1 Piece
12     Arrived at Sort Facility MIAMI GATEWAY - USA     MIAMI GATEWAY, FL - USA                     21:36     1 Piece
11     Customs status updated     CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA                                                     18:56     
10     Departed Facility in SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA     SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA                     15:55     1 Piece
9     Transferred through SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA     SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA                     15:53     1 Piece
8     Arrived at Sort Facility SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA     SAN JOSE - COSTA RICA                     15:51     1 Piece
7     Departed Facility in PANAMA CITY - PANAMA     PANAMA CITY - PANAMA                     05:45     1 Piece
6     Processed at PANAMA CITY - PANAMA     PANAMA CITY - PANAMA                                 01:00     1 Piece
5     Arrived at Sort Facility PANAMA CITY - PANAMA  PANAMA CITY - PANAMA                     00:44     1 Piece
Tuesday, July 07, 2020                                                Location                                                                                     Time     Piece
4     Arrived at Sort Facility BOGOTA - COLOMBIA     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                     21:51     1 Piece
3     Departed Facility in BOGOTA - COLOMBIA     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                     21:09     1 Piece
2     Processed at BOGOTA - COLOMBIA     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                                     19:58     1 Piece
1     Shipment picked up     BOGOTA - COLOMBIA                                                                         17:02     1 Piece

I wonder why they opened it? I mean, Columbia? What else could possibly have been in it?

• Funny 17

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

That doesn't surprise me, submarine prop design is a very closely gaurded  set of knowledge as I'm sure Baz will confirm.

Jamie

Indeed. Sound travels a very long way in water and stealth is everything, particularly for a Boomer.

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson? *

There was big news yesterday over an explosion and fire aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) which is moored alongside a wharf in San Diego for repairs. 24 hours later the fire still rages.

* Carl Vinson was a congressman who was responsible for the Vinson-Trammell Act ("First Vinson Act") of 1934, the Naval Act of 1938, (known as the Second Vinson Act), and the the Two-Ocean Navy Act of 1940, (also known as the Vinson-Walsh Act) which were collectively responsible for the US Navy's level of preparation (in great contrast to the US Army) when hostilities began in 1941.

Sorry, yes, the Vinson - my forgettery failing these days!

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

A quieter day at the House of Fun than we have come to expect.  There were probably more people travelling after 9am than in the "busy" hour of 7-8am.  Many apparently taking the children somewhere and a significant number of quite large groups (of up to 50 - which I thought was a little excessive given current guidelines) all bound for Thorpe Park.  

Several of us felt there was rain coming with our creaking joints acting up and sure enough it has just arrived as I speak.  Overnight we are expected to receive a significant amount but hopefully all will be dry by my departure in the morning.  

We shall see.  But first sleep.  Stay well.  

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sorry, yes, the Vinson - my forgettery failing these days!

Dave 

Au contraire - your forgettery appears to be functioning just fine.

• Funny 18