The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BokStein said:

I suggest you have the wrong ranks there! For 'Captain' and 'First Officer', read Sub Lieutenant and for 'Helmsman', read Chief Petty Officer.

But what the heck, it's only The Navy Lark!

But these are civvies,.. not RN types...

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Afternoon all,

Well we are done for the day with the vent. I spent about an hour banging away inside the old vent with a hammer and some chisels trying to dislodge 6 nails which had been used to hold it in there. And eventually they all came out after much shouting (no expletives were used, they are IHO useless) and a piece of insulation falling in my eye, as I forgot my safety goggles. After this dad got back from the workshop with more labor saving devices and we proceeded to struggle for another hour with removing the vent. 

The removal of the vent caused an avalanche of 60 year old insulation to come down as well. Yippee. Then we measured the new vent and found that it was to small, so dad is now online looking at vents. Then about a half hour was spent with our enormous 6.5 hp ShopVac vacuuming out old insulation. As one will observe we made quite a mess. So now my sibling and I will be using the guest shower for the next five days. 

8A173EFB-233F-4E5D-8C77-F2F5BC74C888.jpeg

28B8E50B-AED7-46F5-9967-347FFC672421.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yup! Boolean operators like AND and OR work in a search. So shonna AND california should find all the pix with both of those tags.

NHN would probably be able to search for Donk using the EOR operator?

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still not put the wheelbarrow together, perhaps later this week. I've got a few things to tidy up in the garden ready for the arrival of the shed, if it arrives.

Thats looks like one heck of a climb for adhesion only.

Czech out some of the grades on Pittsburgh's former trolley system. When they got some new (read really ugly) cars to replace the old PCCs, 12% was specified; the manufacturer questiooned that as they thought it was a typo for 1.2%. No said PAT, we really do mean 12%.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Here I was just wondering: If someone from the Midlands wants to tear down a building, do they use a wrekin ball? :mosking: :jester:

Nite awl...

Probably not if they want it done quickly. Going round the Wrekin was used to describe not using a direct route. Well it was when I was living in the Midlands. I left about 50 years ago so perhaps they go round something else now?

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Interesting colision on the Welland canal although having delved out the navigation rules I'm surprised they don't have more because you need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to make sense of them.  If anything it could well be the case that the officer of the watch was too busy looking at the rules to apply them or find out what the signals meant although it could equally be that one vessel or the other didn't obey them.  The normal navigation rule of passing port side to port side is replaced (if i read the rules correctly) by a rule giving the vessel going with the current or tide priority and it should then signal to the other vessel what latter should do to avoid a collision.   Judging by the bow waves/lack of them the red vessel would appear to be the one which thought it had the decision and the black one ('Florence Spirit') should have complied with its signals and then passed as directed.  

Judging by its late turn to port and its subsequent the erratic course the 'Florence Spirit' was attempting to comply and pass starboard side to starboard side but got it seriously wrong, twice.   Although it might just having been trying, unsuccessfully, to get out of the way of the 'Alamis' Somebody not keeping a proper lookout perhaps, or maybe two somebodies?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 14

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Czech out some of the grades on Pittsburgh's former trolley system. When they got some new (read really ugly) cars to replace the old PCCs, 12% was specified; the manufacturer questiooned that as they thought it was a typo for 1.2%. No said PAT, we really do mean 12%.

I was held hostage by ran a project for DHL and had to spend a lot of time in Pixburd. Some of the roads there are very steep.

Oddly enough when MrsID's father was quite young he spent some time in Pittsburgh with MrsID's grandfather. We're not quite sure why grandfather was there but it was probably because of some engineering work. MrsID's father ended up living with his maiden aunts in Bexhill of all places. "Sit up straight George!"

In her later years (in her 90's) one of the maiden aunts was no longer supposed to be driving. But she still did. "What are they going to do? Lock me up?"

Edited by AndyID
moinfo
  • Like 17

Greetings one and all

Sometimes I think that I am a technophobe.  The latest outcrop of this sensation is going to be getting my prescriptions issued on line. Up to now I have ticked the meds that I need on a form and taken it to the surgery. Until that ruddy virus came along and messed everything up I would then call at the surgery a week later to collect the prescription and take it to the pharmacy for dispensing.  Now I take the form to the surgery.  From there it goes by e-mail to the pharmacy, where I call a week later to collect the meds that I have ordered.   I have now received an ultimatum from the surgery. They do not like handling paper any more, so any paper requests will be quarantined for 72 hours!  This threatening behaviour means that I feel forced to go on line.  I had better get Checkpoint Charlene to either explain it all to me or, better till, help me to set it all up.  Having remembered that I downloaded the NHS app to my phone a while back, I clicked on it, only to find that it needs updating.  Guess what?  It would not update when I asked it.  It is going to be a long and frustrating day.  

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 16

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Czech out some of the grades on Pittsburgh's former trolley system. When they got some new (read really ugly) cars to replace the old PCCs, 12% was specified; the manufacturer questioned that as they thought it was a typo for 1.2%. No said PAT, we really do mean 12%.

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Some of the roads there are very steep.

Then there are the funicular railways across the Monongahela River from downtown - the Duquesne Incline and the Monongahela Incline (35°35').

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Having spent 30+ years doing payroll I find the talk on income tax interesting. When I started doing payroll pensions and low earners paid very little if any tax. This was due to the none taxable allowance. This meant that someone on average earnings would only pay tax on about a quarter of earnings, the rest being tax free. The allowances were usually raised in line with inflation. Then starting in the 80's tax 'cuts' were all the rage but the government had to get the revenue from somewhere so the tax allowances were frozen, in the middle of a period of high inflation no less. Despite subsequent changes of government that has not been properly dealt with so the end result is now the tax allowance is only about a quarter of average earnings. 

UK personal allowance today £12,500, UK Average pay, roughly £36,000 therefore today's personal allowance is about 1/3 rd of average pay.

UK minimum wage rates for an adult mean they pay no tax. (7% of the population) .

For those of us between minimum and average,  it's considerable percentage of pay,   since the lowest tax rate came down from 33% to 20% in my tax life time I'm considerable better off than back in the 1970's. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

Brisbane International Airport apparently added additional runway capacity.

Mum let me know that a restored Spitfire was the first aeroplane to land on the new runway mentioning that "it remembered the beginning of the airport as a wartime runway". A nice commemoration, but I suspect a Spitfire never landed at Eagle Farm aerodrome during the war and nor did the airport begin during the war.

Sir Charles Kingsford Smith landed at Eagle Farm aerodrome in 1928 after crossing the Pacific. His Fokker aircraft remains on display in a special building at the airport. This has long been a source of pride in aviation matters in Brisbane.

Incidentally the Spitfire (restored in British livery) was obtained from a Texas museum and then restored. More authentically the flight included a P47 and a CAC Wirraway which were much more likely to have flown at Eagle Farm during the war which at that time was actually a US Army Air Forces base. I did not know this but during the war it hosted the Allied Technical Air Intelligence Unit where captured Japanese aircraft were rebuilt and tested. Ironically it would have been more representative to land a Zero, Zeke or Oscar at BNE than a Spitfire.

The USAAF had a squadron of P-39s there in 1942. Douglas MacArthur's headquarters were in Brisbane from 1942 to 1944.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 14

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

NHN would probably be able to search for Donk using the EOR operator?

I have done a bit more testing and it appears that bunging (apologies for the techno-jargon) tags on the images allows the search to work rather well. With a solid state drive the relevant icons appear instantaneously. It's also possible to select multiple image files (press shift or control) and apply a particular tag to all of them e.g california, year, etc. Then you can add more tags like people's names, location, etc, etc.

The only snag is that Windows prefers that you put all the photo folders under "Pictures" which doesn't seem too unreasonable. I tried searching on folders that were in a USB attached drive and Boolean operators won't work. I suspect it won't work with a mapped network drive either but I have not tried that yet.

• Informative/Useful 17