The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does Rule 17 still apply if I'm on a ramming course?

Only if you're the leeward boat

I thought the idea of getting married is so you don't have to do the cleaning anymore.  A deeply confused Bear.....

So did a lot of us.... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The cottage I had in Burnham when first built had an outside privy. Though it was long gone by the time I moved in its site was marked by the vigorous growth of plants (and weeds) where it stood halfway down the back garden. My grandparents house had a basement of sorts, only about four feet high and only intended for storage. When my grandparents had the house the basement was sealed off, my grandfather only discovered it when he had to lift some floorboards, the first thing he found when doing so were some steep wooden steps. The cellar had an earthen floor and today many of the houses have had the cellars deepened.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I still play vinyl on a Thorens turntable, play CD's on a fairly decent Arcam player, and use a Sony dedicated MP3 with a LOT of albums ripped to it in the garage for convenience, which also is used in the car.  I cross the generations of sound reproduction!  I draw the line at cassettes, which were the spawn of the devil, they are an awful sound reproduction media.

Wot! No clockwork gramaphone for your 78's ? Or even a mono reel2reel recorder? (I'm not sure what happened to my Ferrograph. I think I left it my dad's cellar when we went West. My brother likely junked it.)

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Technics built some really nice 'tables. Both of mine shown are direct drive, the bottom one is an SL-1015.

SL-8210 is mine, I did have all Technics separates, but over the years things have been replaced, I have a Rotel amp, Marantz CD player and Polk speakers, still got a Technics cassette deck and boxes of tapes lol

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

The end of a other day.

Spent half the training day talking about things other than training.

Spent 20 mins having a think about this signalling problem on the layout, while waiting for the lawn mower battery to charge - ran out half way through (my fault as I forgot to charge it from last time!).

Tomorrow is Sunday.

Have to get out for a walk, cook roast pork meal and water the plants. I feel they're going to take a battering when I return to work properly.

At least it's not due to rain for a good few days now.

Cheers all! 

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, chrisf said:

.......Calan, a delightfully noisy band from Wales....

Chris

I have just listened to Kistvaen  (is that their latest?) on your recommendation...  it was was a recommendation wasn’t it? They are quite noisy, but it’s rather growing on me.   Its not folk as we know it, to paraphrase that old saying.  I think I may have to work my way through your back catalogue/postings.  

Next up, for me anyway, is Peatbog Faeries.  Do keep your posts coming, and you will be able to march again, eventually.

Edit:  I listened on Spotify but don’t tell anyone.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Marantz CD player and Polk speakers, still got a Technics cassette deck and boxes of tapes lol

You can of course rip all your vinyl records and cassettes so that you can enjoy all the  authentic pops and hiss even on your MP-3 player.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Our Magnavox 'radiogram' bought in 1973, with a Garrard changer (Four Channel no less!) is still plugged in and is played every now and again, although its main function these days is somewhere to put a vase with some flowers.......:)!   Whatever happened to four channel?

Brian.

• Like 17

Another lovely summer day here. Yesterday made it to about 27°C. Today is forecast to be about 25°C with clouds appearing this afternoon and a forecast threat of precipitation tomorrow. (I'll believe that when I see it. Now passed the 5th of July, it rarely here rains until September whatever Carole King thinks.)

I'm not making much of it however.

Still in our "phase one" of reopening with skyrocketing new CoViD-19 diagnoses, I am not inclined to venture out for anything besides necessities and after a supermarket run yesterday have at hand everything for my immediate needs.

Little mojo for anything. Golf is on  for background noise, but my big accomplishment was in cleaning toilets. I doubt they will meet Mrs. Flavio's specifications, but fortunately I do not have to subscribe to those.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 18

15 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Our Magnavox 'radiogram' bought in 1973

My father proudly brought home a radiogram (RCA?) in perhaps 1964 which included a valve radio, turntable and LP storage. I was very little and according to my mother the dulcet tones of one Francis Albert Sinatra emanating from a large piece of furniture terrified me.

I distinctly remember the feel of the rubber tuning and volume controls. They were notched wheels that only slightly extended above the surface of the panel which is not a form factor you see very often any more - except in airflow vents in cars.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Wot! No clockwork gramaphone for your 78's ? Or even a mono reel2reel recorder? (I'm not sure what happened to my Ferrograph. I think I left it my dad's cellar when we went West. My brother likely junked it.)

No Edison Phonograph either!  Ferrograph were made in my home town, South Shields.  Made like tanks.  I had a Revox years ago though it was VERY second hand.  aka knackered.

• Like 13

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My father proudly brought home a radiogram (RCA?) in perhaps 1964 which included a valve radio, turntable and LP storage. I was very little and according to my mother the dulcet tones of one Francis Albert Sinatra emanating from a large piece of furniture terrified me.

I distinctly remember the feel of the rubber tuning and volume controls. They were notched wheels that only slightly extended above the surface of the panel which is not a form factor you see very often any more - except in airflow vents in cars.

Dad had a Bush radiogram like this.

809909a5b5c20f0fc3c3bb60ac842561.jpg

It had quite good speakers and a reasonable amp, mono of course. I wanted to play the latest pop tunes that I had obtained by taping the Top Twenty on Sunday evening through it. Unfortunately it didn't have a "line in" or "line out" but I soon fixed that.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2020 at 15:12, BoD said:

And now - chicken wire, a pair of snips and a heavy duty staple/nail gun.  What could possibly go wrong.....

GDB?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Job for @BoD there?

Baz

I saw that earlier and thought “great modelling”, well done for getting it featured on auntie... but there are many, many on here who are equally as good and better. Still, it’s all good for the ‘hobby’.  (don’t rate his thatching though - but then I’m spoilt).

Edited by BoD
-
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Another lovely summer day here. Yesterday made it to about 27°C. Today is forecast to be about 25°C with clouds appearing this afternoon and a forecast threat of precipitation tomorrow. (I'll believe that when I see it. Now passed the 5th of July, it rarely here rains until September whatever Carole King thinks.)

Apparently we had measurable precipitation on 7 out of the first 10 days of July, and it’s raining again today. The average for wet days In the whole of the month of July is 6. People are calling this month Juluary.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4