The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

Not too bad a nights sleep,  4+2+1 hours. 

There's just been a piece on TV about  a young girl who did some of the maths proving 8 smaller guns were better than 4 bigger guns in a Spitfire.  In it they showed a mechanical calculator of they type she used in 1938...

I was taught to use the same model at school in 1970!!! Then we never saw it again and had to use log tables etc. 

This mornings patrol was with a much happier Ben the changeable Collie,  he was happily following scents around the garden till he found a ball.. Kick the ball dad kick the ball... Charge!!!! 

Scattered clouds but a bit cool out there. 

I've been following a long discussion on Rule 17 of the Racing Rules of Sailing,  170 posts and I still wonder if some of them in the discussion have bothered to read the rules.

If a boat clear astern becomes overlapped within two of her hull lengths to leeward of a boat on the same tack, she shall not sail above her proper course while they remain on the same tack and overlapped within that distance, unless in doing so she promptly sails astern of the other boat. This rule does not apply if the overlap begins while the windward boat is required by rule 13 to keep clear.  

Very shortly it will become expensive..  Landrover insurance time.. 

Time to... Wait till 09:00

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Bright and breezy here, well at least the weather is.

At school in the I960s I was taught how to use a mechanical calculator. We were told that everyone should know how to use such a device as it would be useful for the world beating technological future awaiting us. 
Not a lot happening today, no deliveries expected. Perhaps I will cut my hair.

Tony

• Like 17
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

Let me begin with CDs and in-car music.  I agree with Flavio about the tangible aspect and have wondered more than once in the past how you get someone to autograph a download.  I have little experience of streaming services such as Spotify.  Most of the music that I go for is definitely at the minority/obscure end of the spectrum and it was no surprise when some gentle readers professed never to have heard of much of my Top and Second 10s.  The music that I like is often so niche that I come to know the perpetrators personally.  I'm sure we all have discerning taste and that we do not all discern the same things.  FYI, the two most recent additions to my CD collections are by Sam Carter, an up and coming singer-songwriter who is also part of a modern folk-rock band called False Lights, and Calan, a delightfully noisy band from Wales.   I may not do it today but it will not be long before I go shopping for a modest CD player.  A generation ago it might have been called a ghetto blaster.  Today, I'm told, we do not blast ghettos but live with them in peace and harmony.

I should have been in Bristol this weekend for Pride.  Last year 18,000 of us marched through the city centre and it was just as much of a blast as it had been the year before with a mere (?) 12,000 marchers.  That had been the start of a life-changing sequence of events to which I shall return.  Meanwhile, there are persistent suggestions that those who rule us will soon insist that we all wear facial masks.  Perish the thought.  If they were at all effective, would there not have been more adorning powerful faces before now?

Before I get into more trouble, I drew much reassurance from the kind and sympathetic reception given to my post yesterday.  Thanks, folks.

Chris

Calan.  We first saw them some years ago, in Caernarfon, then followed this up with another in Bangor.  We had booked their latest gig up here...but covid got in the way...next scheduled concert in Caernarfon, 11 December.

One of my favourites.

Edit.  The Welsh lines roughly translates as:

Sgrech y storm mewn gwewyr The storm screams in pain

Mellt yn rhwygo’r awyr : Lightening strikes the air

Edited by southern42
  • Like 17

41 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'm amazed,  press 2 for renewals. Beep.. And  Human speaks.  Amazing for a big insurance broker on a Saturday morning,  I was expecting 10 minutes of musick.

Time to go make some sawdust

Are the chisels calling?

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A sunny start here in the northwest of England today as well. Breakfast is now but a distant memory and after spending a few minutes applying the last coat of varnish to the shelving, I'm off to the workshop. 

I may be some time! 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later 

Edited by BSW01
Typo
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

A rather ghastly day awaits: Mrs iD has instructed me that, in the absence of our cleaning lady, I have bathroom and kitchen cleaning duties. Mrs iD, being a good Swiss, has very definitive ideas about the correct way of cleaning such parts of the house. waving a soapy rag at the porcelain will certainly not do the trick. Porcelain will be sterilised, cleaned and dried; chromed taps and hardware will be washed, dried and polished; liquid soaps will be topped up and nozzles cleaned and the WC will be submitted to the highest possible hazmat clean up protocols.

Mrs iD, of course, is nowhere to be found as she is off giving a first aid course. I am therefore left with (1) cleaning duties, (2) dog exercising duties, (3) Patisserie duties – I have to prepare some fruit tarts for tomorrow and (4) the usual dinner creation and preparation. So much for a quiet and restful Saturday.

Don't forget to wash / sanitize your hands between tasks! :jester:

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just spent an hour catching up on I-player A House Through Time. I had missed the last episode and decided to catch up whilst it was still available. The cottage I had in Burnham-on-Crouch was built in 1862. I managed to find a bit of the history but sadly not a lot as this was before the days of the internet. My grandparents house in St. Leonards was even older, built in 1815 of massive sandstone blocks, the nearby quarry were the sandstone came from was turned into a small park a few years after the house was built and is still a park. Both properties were built as terraced 2 up 2 down workmens dwellings and had scullery and bathroom extensions added later.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

G'day all.

The house we live in was planned by me (in terms of room size and floor plan plus some of the exterior details - so guess who gets the blame if something, anything, is found unsatisfactory (even if it has nothing to do with me).  The house one grandfather lived in was probably 18th century, if not earlier, and had the luxury of a tap just outside the back door - that was its only mains service.  My other grandparents lived in much greater luxury - because the dairy had been at one end of the building they actually had a tap indoors and when their new milking parlour was built in the early 1950s electricity was to hand so they also had it installed in the house - 100% visible wiring fixed to the walls etc so the 19th century plaster needed no attention or chasing out and redoing.  In both cases of course the toilet was outside and one cooked on a calor gas fuelled cooker while the other used a coal fired kitchen range.  All sounds terribly old fashioned now but to them it was everyday life - as it was to use when we stayed there.

The weather is not to bad today and the G word has been more than mentioned - instructions have been issued regarding dealing with some of the long grass near the greenhouse which is crowding the outdoor tomato plants.  As for oxalic acid in rhubarb I wonder if it could be used to make something akin to Exmover for cleaning really ingrained dirt of the cars?  In fact it leaves n me wondering if rhubarb had a part in the manufacture of Exmover of which oxalic acid was a major component?  Strange how things come together like that?

Pasties are promised for dinner tonight, whoopee (sorry Baz).  Mushrooms have been acquired for my lunch by the Tesco foraging expedition.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.   By the way it has often been said that one reason why masks were not recommended at an early stage in the Covid tale is because there was fear the NHS would be short of supplies.  I suspect the far bigger reason was that it was realised many people would refuse to wear them and the hand washing might get overlooked if folk thought masks were the real deal and nothing else was needed.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A'noon all,

I'm still relying on a stack / stash of favourite CDs in the car and I usually keep one or two in rotation in my work bag, the outgoing fleet of Freightliner vans all have CD players but some of the new ones don't. Ennio Morricone is top of the heap at the moment with some other soundtracks getting a look in, I find it very relaxing listening to this kind of music at night on the way to or from a twelve hour ballast job in the middle of nowhere!

I've yet to master 'ripping' / 'downloading' and don't currently own a smartphone anyway, so 'old school' it is until further notice. 

;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

My current house was built in 1959 and is not too bad, no major problems with the construction. The house I had in Romford that was built around the same time was better in some respects but that house is scheduled for demolition to make way for those ghastly little boxes as mentioned by Flavio. Six of those boxes replacing a family house and garden. The best built property I have lived in was the aforementioned 1862 cottage.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Morning all from a sunny Charente, which mercifully  is still a long way from an Ikea. The boss is still asleep but last night orders were posted that today should be a day of rest. I wonder if this state of affairs will continue.  

However there are a couple of tasks. The shorter ine is to shovel a third of a ton of sand out of the trailer onto a board and then cover the sand to prevent various deposits from feral cats and other creatures. The sand will comee in useful some day, but the trailer is needed rather sooner.  The other task is to monitor the leakage from the pool. Even though it was only filled to 6cms depth 23 square metres of area means that there was approx 1.3 tonnes of water in it. I may have to cut a larger hole in the liner to asist it's exit.  Apart from those two tasks nothing else is planned so I may do some more photo scanning.  I'm now doing a year of negs and a year of slides at a time and am starting to get to the point where I took quite a lot of French railway scenes. Once there are plenty done I'll probably start another random railway photo thread for European railways. Eventualy I plan to do one for North and Central  American ones as well.  All good fun.

Anyway regards to all and Douglas I sincerely  hope that you haven't just acquired a new landlord following the Supreme Court ruling.  

Jamie

No new landlord has been acquired in recent past. At least to my knowledge.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I am quite relieved that our house is box like. Nice rectangular rooms are easier to decorate. Our previous house had timber cladding on the upper storey. I said whatever we bought next should be mainly brick. This house is brick and is not like others decorated with faux Elizabethan timbers or Georgian plaster mouldings. It isn’t pargetted either. My nephew in Sussex is beginning to look for a house. He doesn’t want anything that is going to require constant maintenance or requires massive energy consumption to keep warm, so I expect fairly modern.  The nephew moving to Zurich soon has a temporary room rented but the company he will work for are sending him details of various rental properties. One he liked was on a car less development. You leave your car at the edge of the development and cycle or walk to your apartment. 
Tony

• Like 17

Morning all,

Checked the UPS website this morning, and they still think it’s Friday, so no news about the delivery. 

The house I live in was built in 1956 ( I think) but had an extra two garage bays, master bedroom, and what we call the “Library” added in 1989. My Grandparents house was built in 1921 by a ludicrously rich Oil Man for one of his, err, female associates?  The oil man died soon after it was finished and she lived there up until the Grandparents bought it off her in the early 60s. It still has the original cast iron and brick incinerator in the basement. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Aditi wants to watch the New York Met opera Eugene Onegin being streamed this afternoon. I asked if it is about a sailing ship company. She said no and it was set in Russia and surely the name made that obvious. I said I thought perhaps it was Irish? 
Tony

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10