The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

I think I've still got a 300 CD player that I have not used for about 15 years. You can have it for twenty quid but you'll have to come and pick it up.

I have just seen a 300 on eBay for £200 and it would cost a lot more than that to get to you! I would also need to get a passport and travel on one of those horrible overgrown cigar cases. Thank you for the offer but I will pass on it.

• Like 6
  • Funny 9

Afternoon all,

Pizza was not had for lunch, instead some horrible burgers were had. Currently it’s very dark inside my house as it’s raining. My living room and dining room, which makes up 2/3 of the downstairs, don’t have any (nobody knows why) lights in them, so I’ve spent most of the day in the sunroom. Currently I await the arrival United Parcels Service van, and it’s contents. 

stay healthy,

Douglas

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

To be followed by home made rhubarb crumble with rhubarb from the garden.

Me too :) and very nice it was :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

.......  Aussie antisocial media posts are blaming the unauthorised extra-curricular activities of guards on duty at a quarantine location.  In truth this might in fact be not the second wave they are speaking of but a previously-suppressed first round of infection.  Either way the numbers are still very small. 

Anyone see the queue for C-19 testing in Arizona on BBC news?  The length of the queue was astronomical, stretching right into the distance when filmed from helicopter; it's taking 8 days for results to come back - I wonder how many of those tested (+ families) are self-isolating whilst they wait?

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

end of season rhubarb - especially the leaves - contains high amounts of oxalic acid - which can lead to kidney stones, convulsions and coma;

I was aware of the leaves, but what designates "end of season"?

In other news, it seems the little yellow box with a cross in it at the end of each post has decided to make a comeback.  Also the first coat of render appears to have stuck to the wall (so far......) without sliding down into a heap.  Result.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

The term "muffin" to me is a Large Blueberry filled cake

My understanding of muffin is a largish, (not overly sweet) cupcake intended for breakfast and might contain blueberries, or bran with raisins/sultanas, or chocolate chips, but I prefer cranberry orange. When you talk about large cakes the Hippo of this parish will interpret something different.

What is an English muffin called in Britain? (According to online sources it is in fact 'muffin'.)

So what is an American muffin called in Britain?

The usual two nations divided by a common language:

biscuit / savory scone

cookie / biscuit

chip / crisp

steak fries / chips

At least crumpets are the same and while they are widely available, I wonder how many Americans have ever tried one.

What would an American scone (a dense drop cake often with dried fruit cooked on a baking sheet) be called in Britain?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news, it seems the little yellow box with a cross in it at the end of each post has decided to make a comeback.

The 'multiquote' icon never disappeared for me. (Perhaps I just didn't notice.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... Currently I await the arrival United Parcels Service van, and it’s contents.

stay healthy,

Douglas

And I await the DHL van with two O scale Atlas ConnDot Comet commuter cars; coming from Bogota, Columbia of all places. The tracking is a weird routing!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have it set at 87° F

The mind boggles. Why even have it at all?

But no, I understand the potential electricity bill where you live if you set it where I do (around 75°F / 24°C) and use it more to reduce the humidity when the air is stifling than a consistent room temperature.

Today will see our first July temperature to hit 80°F / 27°C. I have the windows open now but will turn the A/C on when indoor / outdoor temperatures equalize around 75°F.  The insulation on my house is good and the thermal mass of the air inside has a lot of thermal inertia - it's easy to maintain a relatively constant temperature without a lot of electro/mechanical effort.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

53 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I have just seen a 300 on eBay for £200 and it would cost a lot more than that to get to you! I would also need to get a passport and travel on one of those horrible overgrown cigar cases. Thank you for the offer but I will pass on it.

I thought you might :)

Why don't you just rip all your CDs ? Then you won't need multi-player.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi!

Just been browsing the last few pages to see what goes on here. Looks very informal and relaxed so far!

JohnDMJ: (seen before I found the multiquote button, sorry!) - sweetcorn straigh from the husk is delicious! Do I recall a similar tinned product from The Jolly Green Giant?

Now, having discovered the yellow multiquote button:

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Back from Angouleme, the pool place is replacing the liner without a quibble. It should be here next week.   SWMBO thinks we should have a completely new pool.  I don't want to spend two days taking down the current one and another two days building a new one.

Jamie

Presumably, they'll be delivering the new liner and instlling it to ensure its right?

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news, it seems the little yellow box with a cross in it at the end of each post has decided to make a comeback.  Also the first coat of render appears to have stuck to the wall (so far......) without sliding down into a heap.  Result.

Is the term 'multiquote' a misnoma? It seems from the above use that it allows multiple posts to be quoted but not multiple quotes of individual pposts which may make several commentable points!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The mind boggles. Why even have it at all?

But no, I understand the potential electricity bill where you live if you set it where I do (around 75°F / 24°C) and use it more to reduce the humidity when the air is stifling than a consistent room temperature. ...snip...

It came with the house. And I am quite happy with warm air and a fan circulating it around me.

There are many other things that I would rather give my hard-earned tokens to rather than Duke Energy. Examples are my church and its helping out the community's needy, food, books as I love to read, and yes, even a few model trains.

Not that as I grew up, A/C was for the rich and some public businesses so I never really missed it; never had it on the Kitty Hawk, either. One exception was when I had to be on the flight deck. And there it could be had in spades! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I thought you might :)

Why don't you just rip all your CDs ? Then you won't need multi-player.

To be honest I don't need a multi player, I can listen to any of my CD's whenever I want using my current player or for stuff that is on Spotify I can use that. My Spotify account does not cost me anything but I can set up what I want to hear in the order I want to hear it on my computer. I don't like walking down the road with music playing to the whole street!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, polybear said:

...snip...

Ah, thank you, I never czeched that out and did not know what it was for. Now I know.

"The day is a total loss if you do not learn something!"

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I never have seen one; I wonder if it is browser-related? FireFox 79.0b6 for me.

I stand corrected, it has been there for a while, I just never payed any attention to it.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Made a few bookings today, a haircut on Monday, 3 pm. I really do need a haircut, usually I get it cut about March but lockdown put a stop to that. Last time I had a haircut was October IIRC. Its going to cost me £11:50 as like many things Covidvirus has meant greater costs but as I would have had a couple of haircuts at £7 a time thats not too bad. The car has to go in for its MOT and service. The MOT expires on the 31st of this month so it misses the three month moratorium on MOT's that also expires on the same day. Just as well really as over the next three months there will be a backlog of MOT's to be done.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

On 09/07/2020 at 20:01, Florence Locomotive Works said:

This enhances the taste greatly, but the consistency of the mash was to lumpy for my liking. So next time I hope to commandeer the handheld  blender, which should alleviate all lumps.

Invest in a potato ricer!

spacer.png

The oxo good grips one seems good quality. We had a cheaper one but it broke within a year.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

15 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Invest in a potato ricer!

The oxo good grips one seems good quality. We had a cheaper one but it broke within a year.

Aren't you supposed to boil the spuds first?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

To be honest I don't need a multi player, I can listen to any of my CD's whenever I want using my current player or for stuff that is on Spotify I can use that. My Spotify account does not cost me anything but I can set up what I want to hear in the order I want to hear it on my computer. I don't like walking down the road with music playing to the whole street!

I made the CD player redundant 20 years ago with this Rio Karma. It still gets used a lot in my shed. The headphone jack no longer works but it's fine as a static player.

DSCN4915.JPG.c011f55447ddce9401a1925d7568c74c.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

ou must be eating in all the wrong places, Brian.

Au contraire, these are /were some of the best places in our little upscale 'burg (average home price is now over half a mil) where $40-$60 steaks are/were the norm!  As I cook at home, I use steaks for comparison as most have some idea of American cooking, so I never serve steaks at our house.  Too expensive to screw up and burn!:o

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl, 

a distinct lack of mojo in terms of muddling tonight,  just a little sanding, filling and painting of the tiny radar.  I was more interested in a bottle of Merlot... 

All our records/ tapes/ CDs have been ripped,  there is 4000+ hours on the NAS drive ( copied on the main PC)   But I do prefer to have the hard copy in case the electrons disappear in a cloud of smoke.  The hard copies are not even kept in the same building.

I only normally play my favourite 10% of tracks though. Until I retire I'm just not in the same room long enough to hear a complete album. 

As for tomorrow,  little Barons plinth needs a sand and varnish.  As does the boat.  However I must try to keep up the brownie points and some work on the exterior shelving. 

Time to drink my choccy 

Goodnight Awl.. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

... as I grew up, A/C was for the rich and some public businesses so I never really missed it; never had it on the Kitty Hawk, either.

I never had it growing up in the sub-tropics. Many days (and nights) were misery waiting for the sea breeze that kicked in during the mid-afternoon that was the only thing that made the weather bearable. My parents do not have it to this day.

I cannot imagine being below on an old aircraft carrier (like CV-63) in the Persian Gulf without A/C. Pure misery.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11