The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I have to robustly disagree with you, my dear feline friend. Firstly, a properly prepared mashed potato will have a lot stiffer consistency (and flavour) than “slushy”, even a pommes purée, if properly made, will have both consistency and flavour. And as far removed from a cow pat as one could imagine.

As to your last point, I must assume that you have never known a properly trained and experienced chef. A good chef most certainly can taste the differences between the different varieties of vegetables, mushrooms, pulses and the like. And, when it comes to using potatoes in a dish, a good chef will specify exactly what sort of potato should go into a dish. For example, you don’t use the same type of spud for Pommes Anna as you would for Pommes Boulangere.

Sadly, although the UK has many people who call themselves “professional chefs”, quite a few actually have less culinary knowledge than an enthusiastic and talented amateur. These are the ones you could rightly call “cheffy” (pretence without knowledge). Serving up a boil-in-the-bag lamb shank with a slice of kiwi on the side is neither cooking nor nouvelle cuisine, just pseudo-gastro pub at its worst.

We'll agree to disagree on that, personal taste and all that, for me a dish should taste of the ingredient and not the additions when dealing with a delicate flavour, I love different flavours from all over the world, but most of the food I prefer on a regular basis should be as Un cheffy as it can possibly be. I catch a fish and cook and eat it often with absolutely nothing added except perhaps some bread, a grilled fresh flat fish like a Turbot does not need a sauce, you can have one if you like, but the addition removes the taste, just as cream and butter masks the flavour of a nice tasty spud.

I do on occasion eat a lot of my ingredients that I have caught, foraged or grown raw, just to enjoy the flavour, a cob of sweetcorn eaten raw straight from the plant is a joy that I doubt anyone has enjoyed in a restaurant. I have eaten in French city restaurants', but much prefer a country pub or café and it would seem a lot of the French I knew were of the same opinion.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Reading through the last two pages of ER's mostly on fried food I can faintly hear the sound of hardening arteries. Just to add to it I raise you fried bread done in beef dripping, the only fried bread worth eating. Traffic on Farcebook has dropped off considerably, almost down to pre lockdown numbers. Now to catch up on the rest of RMweb.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

Beans, bacon and toast was had for breakfast. I think I’ve done a slightly better job of cooking the pig today.

And the bread.....

:)

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just to add to it I raise you fried bread done in beef dripping, the only fried bread worth eating.

Just had to stop myself dribbling into the keyboard at the thought of that one.

But hey, what about the very ancient favourite, Gypsy Bread?  Bread soaked in a beaten egg, then fried and served with HP sauce... or, just as nice but very different, served with Branston Pickle!

Now, after all that, I might just have to graze from the fridge before turning in.

Pete T.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Just think how much better it would look with a couple of eggs, sausages, saute potatoes, onion rings....

6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

And onion rings in the morning, I quake at the thought! 

I wonder if there's a misunderstanding there. 

Do bears eat their onion rings deep fried in batter with breakfast? I had assumed sautéed onions rather than these.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I wonder if there's a misunderstanding there. 

Do bears eat their onion rings deep fried in batter with breakfast? I had assumed sautéed onions rather than these.

Some eateries do have onion rings offered as an extra with breakfasts but it's not an idea which appeals to me.   But they're nothing like as widespread or as bad as those appalling hash brown things which have become so popular with catering establishments in recent years.  The latter is probably because proper sauté  potatoes are too much like hard work for them and producing, or even sourcing, a decent quality potato cake is beyond their wit despite the fact that Tesco sell a very good one - Rankin's potato farls (sometimes).  While we rarely have proper job cooked breakfasts at home Mrs Stationmaster can knock together some pretty good potato cakes if we happen to have any left over mash from the previous evening, far better than chucking it away.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Some eateries do have onion rings offered as an extra with breakfasts but it's not an idea which appeals to me.   But they're nothing like as widespread or as bad as those appalling hash brown things which have become so popular with catering establishments in recent years.

Deep fried onion rings are very well known in the US - mostly in burger joints. They are a common appetizer or side dish with burgers, and sometimes even appear on burgers. They are not usually offered at breakfast in the US - which I suspect resulted in Douglas' reaction.

We've discussed hash browns at length before. The potato cake / hockey puck marketed (and made famous in the UK and Australia) by McDonalds should be called something else. I would suggest potato puck as setting expectations nicely. It has very little relation to proper hash browns.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PJT said:

...snip... But hey, what about the very ancient favourite, Gypsy Bread?  Bread soaked in a beaten egg, then fried and served with HP sauce... or, just as nice but very different, served with Branston Pickle! ...snip...

Pete T.

Sounds like what we call "French toast" over here; it can be very good.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

1 minute ago, pH said:

But frybread does:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frybread

I’ve eaten it travelling along Route 66 in Arizona - made when you order it at roadside stands, so it’s hot and fresh! 

Those are almost always called funnelcakes, they are excellent. Frybread is probably regional?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

49 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Sounds like what we call "French toast" over here; it can be very good.

French toast (pain perdu en française) also includes milk (and normally vanilla), sometimes cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 10