The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I guess hat one flew over your heads. Not that you're not special of course, but if I hear once more about the 'special' relationship we have with Obama and the US, I shall scream. If they said it once on the 8am news, they must have said it a dozen times.....:bad:

Didn't fly over my head, hence my comment about the early intro anthem as that was the other thing being mentioned as the only blot on the special dinner! Though in my day in education special meant something different unless Mr Obama does mean that we in the UK are special in that sense!

• RMweb Gold

Re trips to far-away-places - one piece of advice - DO NOT HAVE ICE IN YOUR DRINKS! :nono: - learnt the hard way in Belize and Mexico! :fie:

Before he settled in the UK my late father in law's medical speciality was tropical medicine. He could often be persuaded to discuss gruesome ways of getting ill but I'm fairly certain that my mother in law thought it was usually the ice or salad that did for most visitors to the sub-continent.

My nephew is in Dharamsala at the moment. He has been eating in cafes and seems to be surviving though his parents (both doctors) had him inoculated against everything possible before he went.

We've been invited to some of Aditi's cousins for lunch on Sunday so we should get something nice to eat. Although her cousins are also Punjabi they have been brought up in Bombay (I know it is now Mumbai but they say Bombay!) so the food may be hotter than we usually eat it.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I am always surprised that the owners and staff have absolutely no connection with the UK whatsoever, except they are all Cricket fans, of course.

I think many Indians who want to work / settle abroad now see places other than the UK as being of interest. Aditi doesn't have any relatives in the restaurant trade but many of her younger relatives study and then work in the the US or Australia. When they speak English it is with an American accent, but their sport does as you say seem to be cricket!

• RMweb Gold

Could be but it may be the "scrolls"...................

Who remembers that one?

Means absolutely nothing to me, apart from "Dead Sea" or as items in fantasy games like Warhammer.

. Another A3 has arrived today along with a blue 'Peak' for my '1968' scenario.

Time for a quick glance at the Waverley threads and I'd better get busy I suppose.

Radcliffe and Maconie time too!

Ahhh, so this is where devotees quietly let slip their latest purchases ;) Boy they were quick deliveries too!

Plenty on the WR today but no chance of Rad'n'Mac in the darned workplace. Perhaps tomorrow when I'm a long time on the road...

Means absolutely nothing to me, apart from "Dead Sea" or as items in fantasy games like Warhammer.

Ernie (as Julius Caeser): "At last! Do you have the Scrolls?"

Eric (in flat cap and toga): "No, it's just the way I walk..........."

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

Didn't fly over my head, hence my comment about the early intro anthem as that was the other thing being mentioned as the only blot on the special dinner! Though in my day in education special meant something different unless Mr Obama does mean that we in the UK are special in that sense!

Duh, it must have been too early in the morning. My irony module hadn't powered up at that stage when I read the posting. :blush:

Still, are a good bunch on here - we just don't need the BBC repeating it ad nauseam.

To be fair, 6Music didn't overcook it as they're too interested in their music which is as it should be, even though His Bobness has been getting a serious 70th birthday lauding this week! :lol:

On curries though, I do love a decent Madras!

Dave.

Well if you want to try an really silly recipe, try this one for size. (It is true, and just after our new house girl started with us about 3 years ago)

Nigerian Cottage (Sheppard’s) Pie Recipe.

• In large bowl make one packet Strawberry jelly, (follow instructions on packet)

• Place in fridge for 1 hour.

• Remove from fridge, open tin mixed fruit, drain, place on set jelly.

• Make one packet of Apricot Jelly, pour over fruit and existing jelly and return to fridge (overnight).[Made by "master" how I hate being called that!]

• Take approx 1lb / •5 kg of minced beef, one large onion, chopped, several small carrots (diced), clove of garlic fry gently together until mince browned.

• Boil aprox 1lb / •5 kg of potatoes, until cooked. Mash with butter.

• Remove Jelly from fridge, place mince, onions etc on top, cover with mashed potatoes.

• Place bowl in oven, 210° C, for 1½ Hours.

• When “Master†comes in say “I have made your cottage pie sirâ€

(Master; falls about laughing;……………. what else can you do???????

Moral of this tale: Don’t confuse indigenous domestic staff with more than one task at a time, (and make sure that there is a tin of ham in the cupboard!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That sounds like Rachel's trifle in Friends...

Eeeew, don't remind me of that one! :laugh:

Morning all – slightly hazy on the horizon, but it looks like we're getting another sunny day. Wonder how many cups of coffee I'll need to down today to be up to speed...

Have a good one, chaps...

Morning All,

Another lovely morning here. Hopefully the weather won't break before the roofers are finished. They are doing a cracking job up there.

I must admit to wondering what "Morgen früh" actually means. The literal meaning is "Tomorrow morning" but so far this week it has been 09:30, 08:00 and this morning they nearly caught me out arriving at 07:30!

Still, at least they are here and working hard.

Sounds like an interesting creation Trev - Who knows, maybe the idea will be snapped up by some posh restaurant somewhere! :lol:

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a bit dull out of the window but only a sight breeze so hopefully warmer, I had to wear a jacket yesterday. We went to the Works yesterday bargain for wife, son and daughter no DVD or books for me.

Mornin all, Contractors........the bane of my life, turn up when they feel like, seems they're the same the world over! It's a long story.

Weather wise (being as weather reports seems to be a fairly regular topic) Thick fog this morning, probably due to the several hours of heavy rain last night, but the sun will soon burn that off just going to make it a bit unpleasant for a few hours.

Have a good-un!

• RMweb Gold

Cloudy here this morning. Though the rainclouds seem to be moving along the river towards Southend rather than heading inland. Perhaps the rain is avoiding me, my lawn is brown and cracked, other peoples seem to be green.

Tony

Tony, Perhaps it is like mine? It has decided that it is no longer a Lawn but is instead a Weed?

Not only that but a pretty little Crabapple Tree I planted last year has commited suicide, apparently - or drowned, I'm not sure which.

Best, Pete.