The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Aldi have a 3D printer for less than £300... I also found (on the same site as the inner tray), a bunch of other things that could be useful from garden hose connections to chess board pieces.

ELEGOO MARS UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer with 3.5" Smart Touch Color Screen Off-line Print 4.53"(L) x 2.56"(W) x 5.9"(H) Printing Size-Silver

The above on Amazon for £220 including delivery.

Has good reviews from members of my MERG  group.

I intend to get one once I arrive back in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,,

A good night's sleep of 4.45 hours + 2 hours..

Ben the sleepy Collie didn't want to get out of bed this morning, he stayed there till I took SWMBO her morning tea..

He did enjoy chasing the rabbits, vast quantities wandering around the garden till Ben spotted them...

I quite liked a chicken Shwarma  or Tammis bread and dips as an alternative to the in House catering in Saudi, which was quite good anyway.. I didn't head for Macdonalds / Wendys/ Subway / Harry Ramsden like many others.

It did occur to me that my previous job prior to Saudi would have been unusual during the lock down. I would have had an HMG free to go anywhere in the UK chitty, but of course the hotels would have been closed so I guess arrangement would have been made for me to stay in the officers mess like I did in the Falklands..

We used to visit the bar by the river in Potter Heigham (currently called the Norrada), when SWMBO's Aunt and Uncle came for a visit, Me and Uncle Alf would head for the bar, while SWMBO and Aunt Kath headed for the shop, them joining us much later. pleasant sitting out in the sun watching the boats go by. Since they died, I've not been in a local pub..

This weeks major system has been running for an hour and a half now, 

Time to get on with the next measurement..

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I do find it rather sad that people will travel to exotic destinations (or even other areas of your own country) and then insist on eating there what they eat at home (I’m not talking about expats here, after living in a country for many years wanting the occasional “taste of home“ is something else entirely).  And you don’t even have to travel to exotic destinations, there are lots of wonderful regional foods available, certainly in the US, to make a visit to a fast food chain unecessary. For example, if I am in Louisiana, I would far prefer to have jambalaya, a gumbo or a shrimp po’boy over a fast food burger any day.

About the only time we will use a McD is when we're are out and about overseas.  When you need to dispose of small change, you know that if you have the right money in your hand, you will get the drink/ice at that price and not find you have to stump up extra  for the tax or even a service charge.

Call me mean, but I do not want a slack handful of useless coinage living in my sock drawer for ages afterwards.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Breakfast has been consumed and I’m just about to head downstairs to the cellar to continue painting the garden bench. This bench has been dismantled and all the bits are in the cellar so that I can carry on working during the present uncertain weather conditions. Once everything has been painted and is ready for re-assembly I will take it outside and finish the task on the workshop decking. 

As for fast food, we tend not to eat it as a rule, we’ve only ever been in Mac Donald’s once, never again! Fair enough, the service was fast and the staff pleasant enough, but the food was awful and bland, it put us off for life. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

It did occur to me that my previous job prior to Saudi would have been unusual during the lock down. I would have had an HMG free to go anywhere in the UK chitty, but of course the hotels would have been closed so I guess arrangement would have been made for me to stay in the officers mess like I did in the Falklands..

My neighbour’s work has been considered to be “key” and as hotels haven’t been available he had to book accommodation like Air BnB but only after submitting his key worker documentation. One of the other neighbours has been working in Belgium but possibly has special permission (Nato stuff).

My nephew is travelling from Germany to London today. His PhD viva has been postponed until Thursday as one of the panel has a poorly child. 

Tony

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Q mentioning his house being built on the foundations of an old pub reminded me of the Woolpack in Romford. Outwardly it was a typical mid Victorian building though there had been a pub on the site since the 16th century. Back in the mid 70's I knew the landlord who invited me down to see the cellars. They were probably the original cellars, the walls were of chalk blocks and the headroom was only about 5 feet. The building is still extant but now converted into flats. I had to look up clafoute as mentioned by Jamie. When I used to visit German friends the lady of the house Gudren who was from the Black Forest region served up a similar dish using plums rather than cherries, and not so much sugar.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

In our local Yates pub (now long demolished), if you stood for too long in the same spot, it took quite a bit of effort to move! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

yes I visited Yates Bar in Blackpool once. Took a while to cross from entrance o the bar and an equal time to unstick my feet going the other way (we only went in to ask for some direction as we were lost!)

They were refurbishing the Yates Bar in Barrow and it fell down!

But if you wanted to chance your arm.. take a trip down Cavendish Street in Barrow or into the Preston Street Club.. it was where they based the bar on in Star Wars..

Baz

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 9

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 07:18, AndyID said:

Click on the comments (bubble) count number to the far right in the topic heading at it will take you to the most recent comment.

thanks

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 11:04, JohnDMJ said:

Beside the topic heading on the 'View New Content' page is either a star or a black circle. (Black star if you have commented on said post. Grey star if your comment was the last post made)

Hover your mouse cursor over this and see that it suggests 'Go to first unread post'. I usually right click on this and open the post in a new tab.

Gentlemen,

for both replies, thanks.

BIG help

Peter

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Meanwhile now the weekend exhibition is over I can stow my rucksac and have a shower before venturing out for my tonsorial therapy appointment

My head feels several pounds lighter now, as is my wallet.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 45156 said:

You've worked for public transport for long enough to know that planning and common sense do not really share the same pages.

True, that.  

It does seem odd that while for the months we have had this emergency that trains have normally run in their usual paths but with longer intervals between due to the many which have not run.  So today without warning things suddenly change.  So suddenly that most journey planners don't have today's service uploaded.  Which causes its own problems when faced with customers who expected the 07.20 to Little Nuttingford to have run at 07.20.  

The only explanation I can think of is that the change brings an even 15-minute headway to Motspur Park.  And to nowhere else.  What is special about Motspur Park, I wonder?  Does someone in a very expensive suit live there?  

Indeed planning and common sense are seldom on the same page of the Railway Operating Manual.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Wetherspoons in Barrow provided steak night Tuesday and Curry night Thursday which was very popular. They always had a couple of good beers on as well. It was not a place to visit for the feint hearted on a Saturday night.

To be honest, not many pubs in the towns in Cumbria are suitable for the faint hearted on a Saturday night!  I recall coming out of the spoons in Whitehaven one night, and set off up the street, only to encounter what looked like a pitched battle going on.  We quickly turned round and went the other way!  That particular street does have a reputation for such things and there is a regular police presence there on Friday and Saturday nights.

Bright and sunny here today, but still a stiff wind from the north west, making it quite cool.  The hedges had got a bit overgrown so today has been spent trimming them again, and they now look much better for it.  I just need to clean up all the trimmings now!

• Like 15

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I do find it rather sad that people will travel to exotic destinations (or even other areas of your own country) and then insist on eating there what they eat at home (I’m not talking about expats here, after living in a country for many years wanting the occasional “taste of home“ is something else entirely).  And you don’t even have to travel to exotic destinations, there are lots of wonderful regional foods available, certainly in the US, to make a visit to a fast food chain unecessary. For example, if I am in Louisiana, I would far prefer to have jambalaya, a gumbo or a shrimp po’boy over a fast food burger any day.

Enjoy your Monday.

iD

I know you enjoy ‘local’ food when you’re abroad and wonder whether, as a well travelled man, you’d ever visited the pot noodle museum in Yokohama?
Im sure they would have samples for you to try.

Unfortunately I didn’t have time last year when I was in Yokohama as there was Germany beer festival on at the same time.
Regards

Robert

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still a bit breezy here at the moment but I've got to get on with assembling the wheelbarrow. Question is where to put it when its finished? The lack of a shed is beginning to be a problem. Now my laser printer has a problem, its not printing. There is a faint outline of what I want to print but  the ink is pushed to the edge of the page and is still powdery instead of being 'set'. It also is making a clunking noise when (not) printing.

• Friendly/supportive 15