The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Watching 12 Years a Slave.

I get really angry at how, in the past, people treated other people. It's a long film (could do with editing it down) but I struggle to watch it.

I wonder why people who have been taught that black people are somehow a lower form of human continue to think that way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

Yesterday I was seriously annoyed when an Ebay order for some hair clippers was cancelled by the seller, over three days after I had placed the order. 

After receiving what I suspect were not really genuine parts for my electric razor I started getting them from shavers.co.uk. I got my hair clippers recently from them too. Aditi wouldn’t let me but the cheap ones but they do have a range of prices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I will not enter a Weatherspoons pub on principle. And not only because of their treatment of staff.

I refuse to donate to Mr 'Spoons tax avoidance funds. Don't like his politics, attitude to staff and suppliers and don't like being preached to on TV by someone who looks like a third degree p1$$ artist and reminds me of Father Jack's stunt double. 

Only time I have been in his local establishment was to put some residue in the trough after supporting a local beer establishment nearby and the gents on the market square was being refurbished. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Just back from the artillery barrage that was unincorporated Clark County, Washington.

While there had been sporadic bursts through the early evening, zero hour was about 21:15 (sunset was at 21:03) so it was still a bright twilight when the firing began. The intense barrage continued until at least 22:30 when the rockets' red* glare at last diminished.

* and green, blue, white and yellow with occasional purple.

People in this area go all out. Across the main road in incorporated Vancouver, rockets/mortars are not permitted. Nor are they permitted in most of the Portland metro area. Some of the neighbours were equipped with fireworks that would not go amiss in a professional display. The air felt cool and heavy and even with a breeze, the cordite smoke was thick through the duration. I expect my clothes will stink in the morning. Most people cleaned up afterwards, but I had to navigate the car around one set of mortars on my way out of the neighbourhood.

Masked and distanced, it was nice to see my sons and their families. Hopefully this was not foolish. Suitable precautions were taken.

Time for bed.

The fireworks in my area were large enough that you could count 15 seconds between launch and explosion, lasted until about 1:00am here. 

• Like 9
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

On 02/07/2020 at 13:50, polybear said:

It seems 

Throwing perfectly good food in the bin doesn't seem like a good plan to me.  Seems the head has been shown up by a 5-year old......

In ordinary times I would agree; but protocol is that nothing goes home from school because of the potential for transmission. Maybe over the top but that is what the teachers have been asked to do. I would also add that in normal times most of the KS 1 free school meal food goes in the bin because the kids won’t eat it (and are not made to, unlike when I was a kid). I suspect Nick Clegg would be disappointed with the outcome of his policy and would find better use for the money.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I refuse to donate to Mr 'Spoons tax avoidance funds. Don't like his politics, attitude to staff and suppliers and don't like being preached to on TV by someone who looks like a third degree p1$$ artist and reminds me of Father Jack's stunt double. 

Whilst I do largely agree with that there are times when one goes with the flow (and not the flow referred to in the quoted post ;) ) and when with friends one has the choice to enter and become a part of that 'spoons machine or to abandon the evening somewhat antisocially and head home.  Six and two threes in my book.

I have ventured in.  I have contributed to the tax-avoidance funds and to the staff treatment regime.  And also to the effluent and thereby expressed my opinion of the Management's business ethics and methods.  On the other hand at £2.35 a pint (as of January) when the opposition are seeking between £5.40 and £7.20 for the same ale I wonder how much actually reaches that tax-avoidance fund.  It is a valid point to wonder how much also reaches the pockets of his minions.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

FInally caught up, after not posting yesterday, though I did read and rate all posts, and then had a lurk and a root round the virtual exhibition, which I found to be very good - and was quite pleased to not be accosted by any virtual rucksacks and also no virtual "need a shower or a bath" attendees - I was probably a bit lucky there,  But a big WELL DONE to Andy and his cohorts - who'd have thought that all that was achieved out of an idea that Andy had to start a new and more interesting forum - and I am proud to say that I was there almost at the outset, certainly in the first couple of hundred members when the while forum only moved on by a few posts a day - and ERs was really meant only for true Early RIsers.

So anyway, it's generic greetings to all ERs.  My, how I wish that some of the absentees would come back as well, you are missed.

Yesterday, I didn't do all that much, as I was feeling a bit yeugh, and didn't do anything much other than the virtual exhibition.  Today, we were able to visit our local "antique centre" substitute for a car boot sale, and 30747 was very lucky to find four pieces of the "silver scenes" pieces which she collects and which are no longer made, three thimbles and a little pot - all for £9 from a dealer who obviously didn't know what he'd got.  It was the owner's son,  and we didn't bother to put him right, just bought them - probably worth about £8 - £10 each.  Not, as some dealers think, silver, but silver plated on a base metal.

Fodder run tomorrow, then the car needs to go in as the brakes are sticking on a bit, and also squealing a bit - could be another sacrifice of modelling tokens.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I've been in weatherspoons many times,  as an unfortunate captive of Heathrow or Gatwick  airports. 

Outside of that,  once,  having been taken by someone else..

With the demise of little chef, finding reasonably priced food that you know, out on the road is getting difficult if you don't know an area. 

Having been to a MacDonalds once, that's one of my never agains. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Haven't attempted to construct the wheelbarrow today, still blowing a hoolie. The sun is shining though so I ventured out to remove the dead wood from beneath the California lilac. That will be passed through the shredder later this week. That will then be mixed with the moss and dead weeds/grass removed from the path and patio, placed in a rubble bag and left to compost. Back to the wheelbarrow, the second company didn't want the faulty one back. Obviously because it wasn't worth sending it back to wherever it was made (somewhere in East Asia), they told me to keep it. I will keep what is useful (the wheel, nuts and bolts, possibly the tray) and scrap the rest. This has made me think about what happens to models that are returned as faulty? I know that Oxford Diecast sell their diecast returns off at knock down prices, a £ for models from their 'standard' 00 range. I picked up a completely faultless undamaged model van this way with a damaged perspex box and some other ones suitable for code 3's. Of course something more complex such as a model locomotive cannot be pushed out this way but surely the 'good' bits can be recovered for spares?

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I've been in weatherspoons many times,  as an unfortunate captive of Heathrow or Gatwick  airports. 

Outside of that,  once,  having been taken by someone else..

With the demise of little chef, finding reasonably priced food that you know, out on the road is getting difficult if you don't know an area. 

Having been to a MacDonalds once, that's one of my never agains. 

The bigger supermarkets usually have a restaurant attached and most are pretty good. They do vary a bit even within the same supermarket chain but are generally quite good.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I have been into a Wetherspoons once.

About twenty years ago.

I said then "never again".

And if people arrange that as a meeting place, count me out. 

Actually, about 30 years ago, Wetherspoons was quite good, pubs small. and beer well kept - and also quite traditional with an emphasis on real ale.  Then they decided under a new marketing person to "go big" and they started to set up in disused furniture shops and the like, and at that time, also started to "go cheap" - and after that, they gained the reputation which they have today.  I actually met Tim Martin at the opening of one of his pubs in London, and he came over as a nice guy.

Now I agree with the above, and I haven't ventured into one of their establishments for about 25 years.  There were two in Lancaster, and one got flooded after Storm Desmond, and is still empty now, as they decided not to re-open it - I used to walk past it in the morning, and the sight of some of the less salubrious among us sitting in there at 8am drinking their first pint was far from pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Just logged and while I certainly do not frequent McDonalds that often I have found them OK:

Clean loos

Quick Service

Edible food - coffees are as good as anywhere else.

Personal preference though is a Morrisons Cafe.

Also the best tasting burgher I have ever had was at a McDonalds in France. OK the ongoing promotion was topdollar beef, and it tasted of it. Albert in France; nice little stand beside the railway for train spotters!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone clap for the NHS birthday? We opened our front door to be met by a wall of rain...

Thanks to the help of two ERs who have frequented it since 2009 (when the website was "spruced up"  by Andy Y) the need for Model Railways to be avoided on here is.. well look where the thread is setup! Ie in Wheeltappers which is for non model railway items.  Most people who have posted here have their own Model Railway based threads elsewhere and would point people towards these if they wanted to.

The awl came into use as some people wouldn't do that.. so, hence a very limited access for Model Railways.. but everything  else (apart from Politics) is fine.. so there we go  we now know...

Baz

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Green bin day Wednesday means lawn day today.

May not need the green bin, though, if this wind keeps up.

Green bin day Tuesday here and I managed to get our lawn cut just in time. It chucking it down now but I’m still outside. I’m laying on a bench in the gazebo with SWMBO reading this thread while she reads  her book. There‘S  a crack in the floor and bees must be living under the floor as they keep coming and diving in. It’s quite therapeutic to watch really.

Anyway back to my reading and rating.

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
Typo
  • Like 19

I went with my kids in a McDonalds in Marmaris in Turkey many moons ago, the line went you can buy a big mac anywhere in the world and it would be exactly the same, they told untruths, there's no way anyone would have bought one of those more than once, put me off burgers for ever, still won't eat one now. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Simon G said:

...snip... Later I had two ebay messages from the seller complaining that I had left negative feedback, and asking me to change it to positive feedback! ...snip...

I do not know about ebay.uk but on ebay.us once feedback is left it can not be changed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1