The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

34 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Flavio..you don't need to tell anyone in the ukabout our problems...

What I do see is that we  need ..across quite a few countries ...for the people in charge to have experience of handling problems in high pressure situations. In the past these were in battle, some don't even have them in their work...

Baz, I was referring to the UK, just as I referred to Switzerland, as the former is the situation you are experiencing and the latter is what I am experiencing and thus was a useful frame of reference, nothing else. For example I doubt that the current cross border brouhaha between Switzerland and Germany would be repeated elsewhere and therefore is not a useful talking point (in Germany, you must wear a mask to enter a shop, in Switzerland this is not mandatory. Since the border between the two countries has opened and cross-border shopping has resumed, German shopkeepers are clashing with those Swiss shoppers who come without masks. It looks like it might escalate).

I certainly agree that far too many “career politicians” in many countries have no real life experience. Too many have just gone to University then into what one could argue is a “non-job” before being handed a seat in parliament (or its equivalent)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Why would anyone care about Switzerland's opinion? Switzerland failed to protect human rights. Probably seemed expedient at the time because no one was watching.

Oops, looks a bit like politics creeping in there......

Dave

• Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

What I do see is that we  need ..across quite a few countries ...for the people in charge to have experience of handling problems in high pressure situations. In the past these were in battle, some don't even have them in their work. PAH!

Don't get me started on the level of incompetence at Government and Defence Ministry planning which bordered on the cretinous when we were involved in Gulf War 1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Don't get me started on the level of incompetence at Government and Defence Ministry planning which bordered on the cretinous when we were involved in Gulf War 1.

Don't  have too.. all I would say was all the things we had wanted to get sorted but couldn't be paid for had a blank cheque written ..but they still bought items from companies which they shouldn't have as they still wanted competition..

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Up later than planned, but ho hum! It’s a bit of a dull start but quite warm. So my first task will be to move the bench to the arbour, assemble it and then push it into place ready for sitting using, so it’s bound to rain then! After that I’ve a couple of small gardening jobs to do then it’s off to the workshop to carry on with the turntable. 

Happy anniversary to the Olivers. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

That is similar to the 50 to 60 year old man on a bus I was on. He informed us all in a loud voice that if we needed a mask then we should not be going out and there was no way he was going to wear one! The bus driver responded by playing the "All passengers must wear a mask on public transport at all times" announcement. 

did he kick him off??

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Some of them can only be reelected once, though they might like to be reelected more than that.

For some of them once is once to often. The Great Ignoramus for example.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Baz and Mrs. Baz. More to do in the garden today as long as the pollen doesn't rise to fast, or I might wait until this evening when its a lot cooler. Fodder run has to be fitted in as well. Looking at the illustration of the wheelbarrow I purchased on E-bay it seems that they've sent the correct body but the wrong frame. I will try the big green or orange sheds again to see if their queues are any shorter and send this one back.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

There are quite a large group of people, who are not ‘pensioners’ that are eligible for a free vaccine which was really my point.

regards 

Robert

As I used to get Carers Allowwnce for Beth, I used to get them for free. Here in France they are free for us but I've no idea what the criteria are but the nurse even comes to the house to give them once I've collected the jabs from the pharmacy.

Relaxing now.  The jungle has been tamed. A good cut with the brush cutter on the strimmer then I walked home and fetched the tractor. It now looms a lot better. Beth then drove the tractor home and I brought all the stuff in the car.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

22 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ask yourself this:

The Reading stabbings are all over the  television news this lunchtime. But where are  the massive outpourings of grief  for the father, his two children and  their dog killed by by the drunk driver in Cumbria?

Does it mean that Southern lives are more important than Northern lives.

According to the BBC they are.

I was amazed that this story didnt even make the main headlines in our "local" BBC news.  For some strange reason, the BBC think that the north of Cumbria is part of the North East, so our local news is dominated by Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Durham etc.  The south of Cumbria is considered to be in the North West, so their news is usually dominated by Manchester and Liverpool etc.  At least on ITV, we have a station that is based largely in Carlisle, so is actually local.

To be fair to the BBC, the local radio, Radio Cumbria, is good when it comes to local news.  However, they will insist on interviewing people over telephone lines, so that if there is the slightest background noise when you are listening, it is almost impossible to hear properly.  

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13