The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Not necessarily, it depends on the affected population. CoVID-19 is cross generational, influenza less so. I  think the high mortality in that pandemic was in the elderly. Plus, I don’t think that obesity or diabetes is as much of a risk factor for influenza.

In the UK diabetics and people who are ‘ seriously overweight with a BMI of over 40’ are eligible for a free flu vaccine. 
regards

Robert 

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Paddington will always be immortal though, maybe not for the greatest reasons but still, fame forever.

I have stayed at both the Great Western Hotel at Paddington and the Midland hotel at Derby.

What sticks in my mind was the GWR Hotel's en suite bathroom was larger than my sitting room at home!

The Midland, like it's engines was a lot smaller.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

'Flu is 'flu.

Covid 19 is exotic.  so is SARS and Ebola.

Anything out of the ordinary is picked up by the media, and they run with it.

Besides the inevitability of microbiology, there are four contributors to all this:

1. Career 'department of health' infectious disease advisors
  2. Elected officials
  3. The media
  4. The public

All of them influence each other with very complex interactions and the law of unintended consequences is inevitable.

It's easy to pick on the media - they need to feed the 24 hour news cycle that pays their salaries and is, like it or not, willingly and enthusiastically consumed by the public.

Elected officials are often the weakest link in the chain. Their priorities are:

1. Get reelected
  2. Their legacy
  3. Opinion polls (which feeds, or starves, their egos and drives 1 and 2)
  4. Take care of their constituents (mostly as it pertains to 1, 2 and 3)

It's a set of complex interactions and the quiet voice of reason - the career infectious disease advisors can easily be drowned out.

Here in Oregon the increasing diagnoses trend continues - though this has not (yet) resulted in an increase in fatalities. Running to the supermarket, most people are consistently wearing masks - with the notable exception of a police officer. As of Wednesday (I think) masks will be obligatory in indoor spaces that are open to the public - except while eating or drinking.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, roundhouse said:

As to American food, the first time I went across the pond I saw lots of adverts for Englush Muffins.  I was asked if I liked them and had to reply that I had never heard of them.

Thomas's English Muffins; I have them for breakfast ala McDs Egg McMuffin, ham and Kraft cheese.  DIY = cheaper!;)

Brian.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

34 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I have the same problem with my windows, direct sunlight from 5:00 am to about 4:00 pm.

I owned a house where the front door faced southwest. (So does my home today.) The old front door had a semicircular window. The daily summer afternoon heat melted both the vinyl trim and the glue holding the window in place. Ultimately the door was replaced, sans window. When we moved in the house had no AC - which is true of many, particularly older homes in the Portland metro area. Experiencing the southwest frontage, after our first summer in the house the first major home improvement was the installation of AC.

My current front door has no windows. The builders used latex paint on the door. It blistered within the first year. Even after it was sanded down, and then surface textured (to create a rough surface on which the paint could 'grip') the paint has blistered again (though not as badly). Oil-based paint would probably manage the situation.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

57 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

In the UK diabetics and people who are ‘ seriously overweight with a BMI of over 40’ are eligible for a free flu vaccine. 
regards

Robert 

I miss read the original post. What I said is true and these people are at risk, but the obese and diabetic’s appear to have Particularly bad outcomes if they become infected with CoVID 19. 
Anyway, bed

Robert

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I miss read the original post. What I said is true and these people are at risk, but the obese and diabetic’s appear to have Particularly bad outcomes if they become infected with CoVID 19. 
Anyway, bed

Robert

Also, my last point tonight, I believe that the majority of hospitalised patients are male. Are they more susceptible or do they get more severe symptoms? ( Man Covid 19!)

Night

Robert

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

This caught my eye. CNN: Scientists identify Alaskan volcano that may have helped the rise of the Roman Empire

The article suggests that weather conditions in 43 BCE (a year after Caesar was assassinated) were impacted by a large volcanic eruption in Alaska (in the Aleutians) and may have contributed to fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire.

It is a truly impressive caldera.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

At least the windows In the door didn’t act like a magnifying glass.

Between my last two houses, I lived in an apartment for many years. Across the road (in the same development) condominiums were constructed. Presumably, these had very slightly concave windows. When the sun was in the right place they created a 'death ray' effect - literally creating a bright spot on the ground, or if you stood in the beam, you could feel the focused, reflected heat. It was remarkable. Fortunately it was not so intense to have a destructive effect.

Famously the London "walkie talkie" skyscraper had a similar, but more serious problem.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

39 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This caught my eye. CNN: Scientists identify Alaskan volcano that may have helped the rise of the Roman Empire

The article suggests that weather conditions in 43 BCE (a year after Caesar was assassinated) were impacted by a large volcanic eruption in Alaska (in the Aleutians) and may have contributed to fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire.

It is a truly impressive caldera.

That most certainly is quite the caldera. I laughed when I rembered the “walkie talkie” buildings problems, Top Gear were most amused by it.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Certainly there have been in recent memory, (and since the 1950s) influenza pandemics that have had a far higher total mortality than COVID-19 has had (so far) and yet I found little evidence that countries went into “zombie apocalypse panic mode“ during those pandemics. And like COVID-19, influenza is particularly lethal in the elderly and vulnerable. I wonder how much of how and where we find ourselves today is down to social media, the 24 hour rolling news cycle (that has always to be fed) and the politicians of all stripes who “need to be seen doing something

I hope you're not suggesting they should have done nothing.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip...

Elected officials are often the weakest link in the chain. Their priorities are:

1. Get reelected
  2. Their legacy
  3. Opinion polls (which feeds, or starves, their egos and drives 1 and 2)
  4. Take care of their constituents (mostly as it pertains to 1, 2 and 3)

...snip...

That should be changed to:

1. Get reelected
  2. Their legacy
  3. Get reelected
  4. Opinion polls (which feeds, or starves, their egos and drives 1 and3)
  5. Get reelected
  6. Take care of their constituents (mostly as it pertains to 1, 3 and5)
  7. Get reelected

:jester:

• Like 7
  • Agree 8