The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just now, Barry O said:

We still have a 10 minutes interval bus service into town. It becomes 30 minutes at 7pm just when you used to go for a beer (!)

Baz

How civilised every thirty minutes in an evening, I was happy with one an hour till the local council pulled all busses in evenings! North Yorkshire County Council has turned into a money raising venture rather than a service for residents over recent years! 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The bus stops near our house enable us to go to Basildon, Southend or Canvey Island. Fairly frequent services. Once upon a time you could go to Chelmsford or Romford. At least the bus to Southend goes via Southend Hospital now. It used to be a journey involving bus changes or walking some distance. The bus stop outside the hospital must be one of the most polluted places in Southend as it full of smokers evading the no smoking on hospital property rule. 
Tony

Our bus service, goes via the hospital, but it was a bit of a walk to the entrance and it gets mighty wet and windy up there!  Recently, it was moved close to A&E and the Main entrance - a lot more friendly.  If it is still sited there during the current situation I do not know.  Hopefully, I will not need to find out!

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Lead melted,  to within a 1/4inch of the top of the mould. Weight 152kg, close enough,  Two sheets of lead left over. 

The keel bolt holes now need drilling,  then the wooden keel stub, trial fitted, any adjustments done,  with a fiberglass pad, bonding between the two. 

During melting time, two door frames were made,  one is installed with net,  just needs a latch making,  the other is just a bare frame at the moment. 

At that point I retired fried,  just too hot and humid in the sun. 

We then watched the recorded final episode of a house through time,  roughly knowing the area,  I checked a map to find its Just a couple of hundred yards from where I with RAF Locking MRC exhibited a layout in a building by the docks in about 1977.

Then a programme came on where they recycle stuff from a council tip,  and what did I see.. That building. 

Meanwhile on this tablet,  it came up that 10 Guinea street is up for sale,    £800,000 for a nice house unfortunately surrounded by tower blocks.  They are probably hoping the TV will help sell the house, but with the programme mentioning the first two owners of the house being slave traders,  and Guinea street being named after the Guinea coast where the slaves come from, that might not have the effect they want at this present time. 

• Like 18

20 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Why wait till tomorrow for these?  Happy anniversary to Simon and Mrs G, and many thanks to Tony S for that delightful pic of the koala. If you give them a bit of tree to sit on it is more likely that they will sit still while being weighed.  That's koalas, not the anniversary couple.

More than just one post per day seems to be permitted hereon!!

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s really a spectacularly ugly vehicle. It looks like the result of an incestuous relationship between a transit van and a city hopper. The MB Sprinter conversion looks the dog’s danglies in comparison. Nor am I impressed by the livery: in a country where every mode of public transport seems to be daubed in violent, eye haemorrhaging colours, this is positively boringly drab by comparison. I thought the whole idea of liveries on public transportation is to make the vehicles carrying them stand out from the rest of the traffic. One could be forgiven for expecting this vehicle to have a ladder sticking out the back and somewhere on the sides, back or front the logo “no job too small, reasonable rates

Would I be over optimistic in assuming that the ride comfort is good and the ticket price reasonable?

"That’s really a spectacularly ugly vehicle"; well, it is a Ford :biggrin_mini:.  I do not know about the ride quality as I have never ridden it. The service is a blend of dial-a-ride and fixed route and the fare structure is not familiar to me.

Speaking of system colors, I worked for Broward County Transit in Ft. Lauderdale, FL;

The first (oddly, the 60 was the route that I lived closest to, about a half-block walk to the nearest stops):

1119183354_BCT7629.jpg.e3ea5091f3d87b77878e91315266f873.jpg

the second color scheme (the first was before I worked there):

100_1493.jpg.60213048f0d0b115f81053735e461b0e.jpg

The third (and best imnsho):

1547608085_Bus963201.JPG.8851f5e574d701b669fb50ff167513ee.JPG

The fourth:

100_1354.JPG.a50ad6a1af322f3836e7871a6c2d401f.JPG

"public transport seems to be daubed in violent, eye haemorrhaging colours" I think ours were mild compared to some most that I have seen. But, having said that, a former co-worker sent me this a month or so ago, apparently marketing went crazy and now I am in agreement with you :yahoo_mini:!

20010_new_paint_scheme.JPG.c5300ee624067331552f81c810282031.JPG

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 17

4 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

"That’s really a spectacularly ugly vehicle"; well, it is a Ford :biggrin_mini:.  I do not know about the ride quality as I have never ridden it. The service is a blend of dial-a-ride and fixed route and the fare structure is not familiar to me.

Speaking of system colors, I worked for Broward County Transit in Ft. Lauderdale, FL;

The first:

the second color scheme (the first was before I worked there):

100_1493.jpg.60213048f0d0b115f81053735e461b0e.jpg

The third (and best imnsho):

1547608085_Bus963201.JPG.8851f5e574d701b669fb50ff167513ee.JPG

The fourth:

100_1354.JPG.a50ad6a1af322f3836e7871a6c2d401f.JPG

"public transport seems to be daubed in violent, eye haemorrhaging colours" I think ours were mild compared to some most that I have seen. But, having said that, a former co-worker sent me this a month or so ago, apparently marketing went crazy and now I am in agreement with you :yahoo_mini:!

20010_new_paint_scheme.JPG.c5300ee624067331552f81c810282031.JPG

I love the old fish bowl bus. A classic design. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Are they planning to arrest him then?

As to the discussion on bus services, what bus services??  Our last service, which was rubbish anyway, disappeared about 10 years ago.

Thanks for all the anniversary greetings.  The lasagne is now in the oven, so I am having a short break while it cooks.  A bottle of red is awaiting us, and home grown strawberries to follow for later.  Having been slaving over a hot stove for a while, I will be suitably peckish when everything is ready.

I wish, it would save us a lot of trouble. Happy anniversary to you as well.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

the only one which served the station but wasn't any use at all if you wanted to catch a train as it missed the train by 9 minutes leaving a 21 minute wait until the next one

With my understanding of the reliability of timely bus service, with a 21 minute buffer, maybe you could actually catch the train.

Actually some of the local suburban buses here are so untroubled by passengers that they keep time very well. Trimet in Portland is a different story.

• Like 12
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

... I worked for Broward County Transit in Ft. Lauderdale, FL;

The first (oddly, the 60 was the route that I lived closest to, about a half-block walk to the nearest stops):

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

I love the old fish bowl bus. A classic design. 

I'm not much of a bus person but I'm thinking of Jason Shron's New Look Bus (fish bowl) from Rapido Trains.

Yes, no?

He ran so many liveries that there might already be one very close.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm not much of a bus person but I'm thinking of Jason Shron's New Look Bus (fish bowl) from Rapido Trains.

Yes, no?

Corgi did one also but it was too small for O at 1/50; the same with their American PCC trolley :(. Edit: I forgot to add that U.S. O scale is 1/48.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yes, no?

Very likely. The GM new look bus was a staple of many transit systems through the 70s an 80s. I rode one daily for school 78-80 then work 80-88. Comfortable. Warm in winter but bloody greenhouse on a hot day. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

Just got back from another drive in the Alfa, the city is awash with police for Trumps arrival. Currently going down to ye olde workshop to silver solder the condenser onto the engine, so that will be interesting.

F6201A2F-324C-4109-973C-5FAF11646041.jpeg

Nice windshield wipers :yahoo_mini:!

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I saw this “How to weigh a Koala” on Twitter. 
I thought ChrisF might like to know how they do.

E43D67C8-13DD-4E3C-A42A-6B3550E4A39E.jpeg.d71d6d858afcc5963be29616c18b7d07.jpeg

I recall a story about a large area of forest being felled illegally during, or just after the fires in Oz, which of course meant an added big problem for the local wildlife population including Koalas.  Do any of our ER'ers based in Oz know the outcome of this (i.e. did the scrotes responsible get strung up by the goolies?).

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Obviously they all married hairdressers.

*Some* of whom *may* not have looked twice at (now) Hubby had they been a dustman and not a footie player....  ;)

5 hours ago, bbishop said:

But then you get the idiot who sits in the aisle seat nearest the entrance and blares into his / her mobile phone.  I would be tempted to spray them with sanitiser, except I'm wearing St John Ambulance uniform.

Better still, an axe thru' their phone. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1