The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

22 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Cloudy start here with the chance of some sunny spells and showers.

There is a bit of an air of fedupness around GDB Towers today. We should have been setting off for Southampton a little later  to board a new ship bound for the Norwegian Fjords.  I don't think they've finished building the ship yet and believe it's still in the builder's yard in Germany.  P & O have postponed the start of sailings again until October.  We've rearranged out cruise for next May but I'm not holding my breath!

My parcels from Ford and Fraggle Rock arrived promptly so today I may retire to The Shed and see if I can do something with them without messing them up.  There may or may not be some cursing involved.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Mind your head on the Shed doorway, Bob.:D

Have a nice day all.:good:

• Like 9
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2

All this talk on ER about bus services, or lack thereof, makes me realise how lucky I truly am. Our local bus and tram providers (BLT and BVB) are running their standard services. The instructions are, during rush hour, to wear a mask otherwise social distancing is sufficient. The trams run by both companies are large (and long) affairs and outside of rush hour it is very easy to maintain social distancing. In regards to scheduling, most bus and tram lines run on a frequency of between every 5 and 20 minutes. There is one bus, however, which I take every so often to get me to my physiotherapist when I don’t have a car, that runs every 30 minutes. And it’s basically a bus version of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter

3407DDC6-9FDF-46D4-B69F-F53E45F2AA05.jpeg
I enclose a link for the “Bus Geeks” amongst you: https://www.blt.ch/en/company/vehicles/buses.html

I am now off to finish reading my book on Adolf Hitler by the German historian Volker Ullrich, which is an interesting take on material that I had thought to have been “done to death“; in fact he provides some very interesting insights.

Then, this afternoon, I get to fire up the HIWATT Little D Rig for the first time (when it arrived it was without manuals so until the Swiss importer was able to run some tests on the speaker cab and confirm the cab’s impedance, I couldn’t plug in the head as there was the risk - albeit remote - that the single Fane speaker wasn’t 8 ohms). I’ll dig out my Keeley Electronics “Dark Side” effects unit (“Pink Floyd in a Box”) dust off the Fender DG Black Strat and see how badly I can mangle Brain Damage and Eclipse from DSOTM :D

With acquisition of the HIWATT amp, my adolescent longings have now been fulfilled (at least the musical ones; Donatella will, alas, always be out of reach :cry:)

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 18

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

Once again the process of booking a service appointment with British Gas was more of an ordeal than it should have been.  What should have happened is that the website would spring into life and display a selection of slots from which I could choose.  Instead it apologised noiselessly and displayed a telephone number.  I dialled it and the fun started.  How I detest those voices which belong not to a human but to a machine that seems to be hard of hearing.  For all the good it did I found myself yelling the answers.  Out of the rigmarole came an appointment for a six hour afternoon slot and being asked no less than three times whether I had symptoms of the virus.  Only one of the questions was accompanied by an invitation to press 1 for yes and 2 for no.  I do hope that British Gas do not regard their customer service as state of the art.  It isn’t.

Sounds like more of a black art!

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. This morning if it wasn't for Corona-19 I would be in Ipswich for the Transport and Model Festival. An event I have attended for the last several years and I introduced my friend Richard and his lad to a few years ago, well there's next year to look forward to. The parcel that came when I was out has been identified as there was an 'out on delivery' notice, an old plastic kit (50's/60's) for a couple of cars. No chance of a lie in this morning as the neighbours opposite were having a tree or trees removed, those chipping machines are noisy! Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all, ...snip...  Just had some excellent tacos for dinner ...ship...

Douglas

Hmmm, "excellent" and "taco" should never be used in the same sentence! :jester:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip...And it’s basically a bus version of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter

3407DDC6-9FDF-46D4-B69F-F53E45F2AA05.jpeg
I enclose a link for the “Bus Geeks” amongst you: https://www.blt.ch/en/company/vehicles/buses.html

iD

We have a similar vehicle by Ford here in Chester:

IMG_20171106_085603.jpg.1ac4d35134e814cd2cb24c0f24b7eab2.jpg

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip...

I am now off to finish reading my book on Adolf Hitler by the German historian Volker Ullrich, which is an interesting take on material that I had thought to have been “done to death“; in fact he provides some very interesting insights.

...snip...

iD

I started a similar book: "HITLER" by Joachim C. Fest but got bored with it (or found a more interesting book; easy to do! :biggrin_mini:) and put it down. If I decide to pick it back up I may have to start again. :(

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Not worth fixing a 10 year old appliance

The 10 year parts and labour warranty on our washing machine expires next year. However the manufacturer guaranteed to make parts available for 20 years after manufacture. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

All this talk on ER about bus services, or lack thereof, makes me realise how lucky I truly am. Our local bus and tram providers (BLT and BVB) are running their standard services. The instructions are, during rush hour, to wear a mask otherwise social distancing is sufficient. The trams run by both companies are large (and long) affairs and outside of rush hour it is very easy to maintain social distancing. In regards to scheduling, most bus and tram lines run on a frequency of between every 5 and 20 minutes. There is one bus, however, which I take every so often to get me to my physiotherapist when I don’t have a car, that runs every 30 minutes. And it’s basically a bus version of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter

In, this afternoon, I get to fire up the HIWATT Little D Rig for the first time (when it arrived it was without manuals so until the Swiss importer was able to run some tests on the speaker cab and confirm the cab’s impedance, I couldn’t plug in the head as there was the risk - albeit remote - that the single Fane speaker wasn’t 8 ohms). I’ll dig out my Keeley Electronics “Dark Side” effects unit (“Pink Floyd in a Box”) dust off the Fender DG Black Strat and see how badly I can mangle Brain Damage and Eclipse from DSOTM :D

With acquisition of the HIWATT amp, my adolescent longings have now been fulfilled (at least the musical ones; Donatella will, alas, always be out of reach :cry:)

iD

Our bus service is term time weekdays only to the town 10 miles away.  Outbound at 08.00 return at 15.30.

The place was jumping to the HIWATT amps till a 20" cymbal fell and cut the lamps.

One of the tracks I listened to yesterday. Long Live Rock by the Who.

Happy Anniversary to Simon and Mrs G.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Simon G said:

...Today is our 39th wedding anniversary, but I don’t think that we will be doing much to mark the occasion....

Congratulations, Simon.
Of course, compared with some of our esteemed, more (ahem!) “mature” ER members, you and Mrs G are just beginners in regards to marital longevity!.

So, here’s to many more :drinks:

iD

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

A happy anniversary to Simon and Mrs G and many more of them,

I had a new type of call from 'somewhere foreign' - it started off with 'you are needing a refund on the computer services you recently paid for' which was daft enough so I let him carry on which resulted u in my being asked if I was at my computer.  No was my (truthful) response and I then asked why to be told that would allow 'them' to refund the money.   So i said as you have my 'phone number you must know my address so send me a cheque - which resulted in another request to ggo to my computer.  so I told him to go forth & multiply (actually words of a similar meaning, I do hope he understood).

Today carrots have been lifted by the management - pretty good looking specimens - maybe I should ask fora carrot cake for Father's Day?  As for Weymouth to look at the big ships there look to be only two there now, there are another two in Torbay; Coverack is good for spotting large tankers with five offshore.  There are currently three large cruise ships off Bournemouth/Boscombe (one of which was previously in Weymouth Bay), and four more in Sandown Anchorage off the Isle of Wight, two alongside at Southampton and another alongside at Dover, five in Tilbury Docks alongside plus another moored out in the river.  The area between Southwold and lowestoft is a sort of tanker magnet with 20 of them anchored within a few miles of shore.  There aren't many cruise ships further north, one alongside at port of Tyne having moved there from Southampton and another three in Rosyth Docks.  The west coast isn't so popular - there are two large cruise ships alongside at Clydeport and one not so large one alongside in Avonmouth Docks.  Which I think means a total of 27 cruise ships moored/.anchored off the British coast.    And that is not much different from the number spread out between Miami and the Bahamas.  Presumably British port dues etc are relatively cheap because there are only three on the Dutch coast and only two (French registered and very upmarket smaller vessels) anywhere near a French port.  it might also have something to do with the ability to move crew members about as the UK is one of the more helpful nations in that respect.

Right time to follow request orders and clean the vacuum, assuming I can find it if course.

Have a good day one and all

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

We have a similar vehicle by Ford here in Chester:

IMG_20171106_085603.jpg.1ac4d35134e814cd2cb24c0f24b7eab2.jpg

That’s really a spectacularly ugly vehicle. It looks like the result of an incestuous relationship between a transit van and a city hopper. The MB Sprinter conversion looks the dog’s danglies in comparison. Nor am I impressed by the livery: in a country where every mode of public transport seems to be daubed in violent, eye haemorrhaging colours, this is positively boringly drab by comparison. I thought the whole idea of liveries on public transportation is to make the vehicles carrying them stand out from the rest of the traffic. One could be forgiven for expecting this vehicle to have a ladder sticking out the back and somewhere on the sides, back or front the logo “no job too small, reasonable rates

Would I be over optimistic in assuming that the ride comfort is good and the ticket price reasonable?

• Like 1
  • Funny 16