The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Been able to flick through, go to a number of 'follows' go out and get back in after the initial 'forgot password' initiation but this time much quicker because my email was 'left on'.  We will see if I can return tomorrow.  Some interesting reads although soy above my grade in railway terms.  Sorry about the F15 pilot.

Again, the above did not go out on last visit ...  still variable response that suddenly starts with ticks not registering and then the usual 'no permission'.  It even came up on my 'regulars' as 'no permission'.  I have been through a number of blogs tonight so will try to post this, close down and then retry to see what happens.  TTFN

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Well the last one registered then came1991535206_ScreenShot2020-06-20at00_58_11.png.ca7a46824aac506945accafdac3d88a5.png

then on coming back

1587138731_ScreenShot2020-06-20at00_58_11.png.6d085979d63f11a7d09f87898f1aa167.png

so yet again needed to reset PW.

Then when I decided to add this content one that I wrote over a week ago came up for 'saving'

Having said that a long interesting read so it is now 0110 hours so, sleep well.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Evening all,

Just finished the condenser mock-up for the trunk engine. It’s not the greatest ever, but it works and looks good so I’ll keep it. If you fancy a read you can read about it Here. Just had some excellent tacos for dinner, these ones had brisket inside which is new for me, but tastes excellent. The Trump Train arrived in town today, his rally is tomorrow. So it should be interesting to see how that plays out. Been reading up on John Penn & Sons, quite an interesting company. 

Douglas

image.jpg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

... had some excellent tacos for dinner, these ones had brisket inside ...

Inquiring minds need more data:

• proper low and slow barbecue brisket ...
  • or prepackaged from the supermarket?
  • barbecue sauce, pico de gallo or salsa?
  • soft tacos? flour or corn?
  • Like 10
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Inquiring minds need more data:

• proper low and slow barbecue brisket ...
  • or prepackaged from the supermarket?
  • barbecue sauce, pico de gallo or salsa?
  • soft tacos? flour or corn?

Unfortunately I can’t answer any of those except that they were soft tacos, and definitely low and slow. It was takeout so I don’t know how they get there meat, but certainly better quality than most supermarkets. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

The welcome lack of rain over the last two days encouraged some outside chores.

• Thursday saw some of the more urgent gardening. About 30% of what could be done was achieved but the weeds growing in between the patio pavers are laughing no more.
  • Today saw the sweeping and hosing of the covered patio, followed by scrubbing the patio tables and chairs.

Half of my patio space (stamped, textured concrete) is covered, so in theory, the tables and chairs are protected from the elements. If only this were true. Despite being protected from the vertical rain the general dampness of an Oregon winter means the teak furniture can get mouldy spots and then accumulate a generous layer of fir pollen. Had I a shipload of matelots scrubbing the teak deck furniture every eight bells of the morning watch, this would not be an issue. Without that, I'm hard pressed to get it done once in the Spring. 

That happened today. There are two adjoining tables, each with four chairs. I was waiting for a suitably warm day since this is a wet splashy chore. I didn't think I'd get to them all in one go, but felt up to the challenge, though my thoroughness on the chairs was inversely proportional to the order in which I scrubbed them. (That's not quite true, a couple of the chairs on the weather side had two passes of the scrubbing brush.)

Now I can dine alfresco without getting covered in pollen and grime. I'd do it tomorrow if it wasn't supposed to be rainy.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Earlier in the week I had decided to forego my afternoon constitutional due to a brief and not at all severe thunderstorm. As soon as my decision was made the sun reappeared. I reversed my decision thinking I had plenty of time for a brisk walk before another storm band arrived.

Inevitably the sun disappeared the moment I locked the front door. The whole walk had me looking at ominous clouds in the south and traffic coming from that direction with their headlights on. Close to home it started raining very gently. Then the sun reappeared. 

Oregonians use the term "liquid sunshine" to refer to rain. The last ten minutes of my walk home was accompanied by sunshine, blue sky overhead, with gentle, essentially vertical, very light rain that evaporated as it hit the ground. Such is Oregon in the Spring.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

There was a disparity in the weather forecasts in today's newspapers -- partyly cloudy or thunderstorm. While SWMBO was out shopping (for a third newspaper) we had a couple of inches of partly cloudy.

The driveway men finally appeared today. They started just about 7:00 to accompany the Bang a Pot gang and were finished before 9:00. Interesting that they just stuck a pick or something under the tar and peeled it off in a sheet (well, sections of a sheet). The new stuff is still warm.

I really enjoyed Coombe Barton's music selections today.

Note: driveway times are P.M.

Edited by BR60103
clarifying
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple now here, 

A further 3 hours sleep,  was had,  unfortunately ended by Ben the alarm clock Collie,   almost on time. 

Sunny cloudless sky out there, heavy dew, the jungle is trying to reassert itself,  some greenery is nearly a foot high after the last mow a couple of weeks ago.  I'll try to get at least an hours mowing in later, just to keep the main areas clear. 

I'm going to set SWMBOs laptop on updates in a minute,  while I head  to the kitchen I fancy a full English for breakfast..  I can keep on Microsoft's vagaries while consuming.. 

Time to put the kettle on... 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The last of our "free" board-at-the-exit bus routes converts back to front-door-boarding with fares collected tomorrow.  The 281 had been among the last batch of routes still running in "free" mode across London.  If they don't do something about the ridiculous capacity arrangements soon there will be a lot of angry people unable to board and forming socially un-distanced crowds at bus stops.  20 per bus isn't clearing the demand now. 

I understand that the full size single decker buses running thru' the large village where I live are limited to 7 passengers.  And with buses at one an hour out of peak, that's not funny if you can't get on.  Fortunately I (like many others) never have cause to use them, which is one of the reasons they've gone from double to single decker, with a cr@p timetable.  Less and less passengers - and boy, did I get a shock at the fares the last time I did use them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Oregonians use the term "liquid sunshine" to refer to rain. The last ten minutes of my walk home was accompanied by sunshine, blue sky overhead, with gentle, essentially vertical, very light rain that evaporated as it hit the ground. Such is Oregon in the Spring.

Hence why McMenamins brew a  wheat beer called Liquid Sunshine. I remember one trip to Portland some years ago where it rained every day, just like home. Wasnt much fun waiting for the bars to open.

Refund recieved yesterday for our outward flight to Chicago but awaiting the refund just received for the  return flight from Seattle back home, so not a bad response from Norwegian once we received the offical cancelleation email from them about two weeks ago. I wish we could still go but hopefully later in the year as long as its afe and affordable to do so.

Todays walk is via an old quarry site which now has 100s of homes built on it and a a couple of lakes. It used to be rail served and I have photos of the derelict sidings. Screwfix and our car service place are built on those sidings with just one level crossing gate and a short length of track preserved nearby. The walk will take us via our usual pub for take out drsaught ale.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Oh yes. If we use the local buses its often cheaper for the two of us to get a taxi and way quicker. Luckily we have a tfl bus route that goes from the town centre to Croydon  just a couple of minutes away but cant see us making much use of them for the foreseable future. I cannot see how public trnasport can survive much longer with the current restrictions.

The idea of go everywhere by bike not bus or train is ok if you live somewhere reasonably flat and have panniers or a basket to carry shopping in. The local buses are seeing a steady increase in patronage. Some of the cyclists have realised they can just about ride a bike but not wirh bags draped off the handlebars.

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1