The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The Summer Poultice is or soon will be upon us. It's all downhill from here. Hopefully the pandemic will be a distant memory this time next year.

Weather here is appropriately "summery" although I can see some clouds popping up above the mountains to the south-east.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

You mentioned indicator diagrams. I'm slightly familiar with them but I didn't realize they have important application in medicine, particularly related to the heart.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure–volume_diagram

I'm more familiar with diesel (large, ship for the use of) indicators, that is very interesting Andy! 

It's quite easy to take an indicator diagram from an engine that only does 120 rpm flat out, you just do it by hand once you get the feel of the cylinder firing you're indicating.  The wire devices provided  seldom worked as well as the human powered version, although this is of course ancient history in my life now.  (edit - meaning they probably work better now!) OK, getting on for 35 years ago.....:unsure:

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 16

43 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon awl,

Just finished painting the cladding on the Oscillator, and if you fancy a read about it you can do so Here. Why on earth you would I really can’t imagineSo far today has been uneventful, except for the fact I woke up to rain, which we haven’t had in about a month. I also managed to succeed in making the perfect grilled cheese of lunch, so my culinary conquest must continue on to something else. So back to looking at mini lathes.

Douglas

As HH says, go as big as you can. You could do worse than a Grizzly 9" x 19" . I have one. It's not as smooth as the Southbend but it's quite capable. You might find a 9" Southbend on EBay but a good one will be expensive and a cheap one will be a gamble. If the ways are worn it's probably junk.

• Like 16

Evening all!

8 hours ago, The Lurker said:

My news is that i have been randomly selected to take part in the antibody testing programme by Imperial College London. I signed up this morning andmay get an antibody test, which may give me a correct result as to whether I have had the dreaded Covid-19. If i have, it was entirely asymptomatic, as i have not had any cough worth mentioning, let alone breathlessness.

AKA, I believe, known in some academic circles as the Kensington Asylum!

7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A'noon.

As for oscillators, well at least this wouldn't happen....

11954832_1108870359141585_6398294766691311404_n.jpg.d60be9e55e1d13fa8e6eb49412e10cac.jpg

Just another example of a catastrophic failure?

I shudder to contemplate how many apples were involved! Challenge: who'll get the tenuous link first?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Simon G said:

Evening all,

I am not a happy bunny this evening.  A week ago yesterday, the Blond Buffoon in No 10 announced in the Downing Street briefing that there would be an update for those “extremely vulnerable “ people who are shielding, some time this week.  Well, the week has passed, with absolutely no update.  The nearest they got was on today’s brief, when the minister was asked a question on the subject by a member of the public.  His reply was that “we will give an update in the next few weeks”.  Considering that the current advice is to shield until the end of June, that statement is close to being utterly useless!  As with so many other aspects of the virus, there appears to be a total lack of joined up thinking, or possibly of any thinking at all.

That is the rant over for the time being!

Apart from that, today has been pretty uneventful.  Our friends dropped off supplies this morning, after which we had a decent walk.  This afternoon I potted up some tomato, pepper and cucumber plants I had been given.  Since then the weather has turned wet and breezy, so that it probably the end of outdoor activities for today.

We are aware of the guidance, but it doesn't mean we actually do what they say, we are told we can now go outside and mix, but that doesn't take into account the fact that it would seem most people are

1 Thoughtless

2 Careless

3Just plain stupid

and incapable of comprehending the principle of social distancing.

So we set our own boundaries rather than listen to people whose advice seems to be based on either political damage limitation or money hungry people who wish to get people crammed together to make a fast buck as soon as possible, with no thought for the consequences of their actions. Luckily we are just far enough away from most of them that we can create our own safe zone and with the help of mail order and home deliveries from local shops, businesses and a couple of supermarkets are able to live in relative comfort and are actually enjoying the isolation from the mayhem. People are being interviewed on tv saying they are "desperate" to get back into shops and don't mind the crowds...…………..Lemmings is a word that springs to mind.

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl, 

Some brownie points earnt.  SWMBO uses an electric reclining chair we inherited, it was less than six months old when her uncle died. 

Anyway,  the PSU died, yesterday  I went on line to find that exact PSU commonly available, on the house of strong ladies,  which is good for point earning, but not good for it's forecast of reliability. It's arrived installed and working.. 

I suspect the ministers like all politicians report what they wanted to here not what was said,  and then make the mistake of believing softwear engineers that programme V1.0 will be on time and work.. 

This evening at the MhRC I sanded and then painted the aerial. A first coat of paint is good for showing imperfections. It does however look much better now painted. I need a finer sandpaper next time then hopefully the reflector won't look so Matt. 

Tomorrow's plans,  build netting doors for garage shelving,  melt the last of the lead.. 

Goodnight awl ...

time for my choccy.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Late afternoon all,

Thanks for the tips on mini lathes gents, will put those to good use. I’ve spent the last few hours feverishly working away on what I’ve actually been planning for the oscillator. Which is to make it into a marine style trunk engine. Anybody who’s been inside HMS Warrior will know what I’m talking about. (The condenser will have to be fake I’m afraid). More to follow on its thread.

5B9F5F51-A3BC-4921-95F4-78D43E697E80.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

As HH says, go as big as you can. You could do worse than a Grizzly 9" x 19" . I have one. It's not as smooth as the Southbend but it's quite capable. You might find a 9" Southbend on EBay but a good one will be expensive and a cheap one will be a gamble. If the ways are worn it's probably junk.

The aforementioned lathe. This one says Jet on it but it's your standard issue Asian import 9 x 19.

DSCN4896.JPG.e6af136d76f54ff4fc0df1024aed8739.JPG

That's a replica Tri-ang two-start worm.

583524259_DSCN4896(2).JPG.29fc4d351f0d871e997459b025c4be6c.JPG

This one has the advantage over the SB in that the carriage feed does not use the leadscrew thread for turning. The leadscrew transfers power to the carriage from a slot milled into the leadscrew.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

An Ocado van delivered over the road this morning. Perhaps it is a different warehouse.

Same warehouse but probably out and on the road before the fire.  

I had thought our rounds were based at Bracknell but apparently not - we are within the Erith distribution area.  

The last of our "free" board-at-the-exit bus routes converts back to front-door-boarding with fares collected tomorrow.  The 281 had been among the last batch of routes still running in "free" mode across London.  If they don't do something about the ridiculous capacity arrangements soon there will be a lot of angry people unable to board and forming socially un-distanced crowds at bus stops.  20 per bus isn't clearing the demand now.  It could be busier next week.  The hospital bus 481 is a half-hourly single-decker limited to 8 passengers.  That has seriously inconvenienced staff travelling to West Middlesex Hospital who need to start at much the same time of day which has always led to a couple of trips being fully loaded.  Now they drive past waiting people brandishing NHS IDs hopefully while the driver points to the "Bus Full" sign in the windscreen of a bus which is clearly nowhere near full ..... 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

The Summer Poultice ... soon will be upon us.  ...

Weather here is appropriately "summery" although I can see some clouds popping up above the mountains to the south-east.

Hot here today - flirting with 30°C. Showers and low 20s°C for the Solstice and the Hallmark day on Sunday. The very high hazy cloud forecast to presage the rain is now here but temperatures are still rising. I turned on the AC this morning. and am glad I did.

Should exceed 30°C next week.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... "if we'd just stop TESTING FOLKS, there'd be way less people with COVID-19"

To then PM May:

Oh, are you a nuclear power?

Before meeting with Vlad.

Is Finland part of Russia?

Allegedly. We could go on all day.

But I am misbehaving and shouldn't mention such things here or anywhere.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Evening Everyone,

Filled in  mine and SWMBOs tax assessment forms in this morning and got them ready to send to the accountants together with MRC accounts. I count that as work so some work has been done today. Walk with Sydney down to the post office to bank a couple of business cheques (more work?). Nephews came round this pm for a couple if hours in the garden with their iPads. Social distancing was observed. After a late tea I realised I haven’t got the transfers i need for my modelling project. I have three sheets and not a 5 in the size I need to be had. Last loco I did must have been ‘5555’! Job for tomorrow find out what class of LNER loco was ‘5555’ unless someone on here beets me to it! Ended up just mooching around here.

Goodnight All and hope those that are unwell are on the mend.

Robert

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening Everyone,

Filled in  mine and SWMBOs tax assessment forms in this morning and got them ready to send to the accountants together with MRC accounts. I count that as work so some work has been done today. Walk with Sydney down to the post office to bank a couple of business cheques (more work?). Nephews came round this pm for a couple if hours in the garden with their iPads. Social distancing was observed. After a late tea I realised I haven’t got the transfers i need for my modelling project. I have three sheets and not a 5 in the size I need to be had. Last loco I did must have been ‘5555’! Job for tomorrow find out what class of LNER loco was ‘5555’ unless someone on here beets me to it! Ended up just mooching around here.

Goodnight All and hope those that are unwell are on the mend.

Robert

Number 65555

2nd Grouping Number lner 5555

1st Grouping Number lner 5555

Class Code J17

Designer Holden J

Designation 0-6-0

Built 31/01/1903

Builder Stratford Works (LNER)

1948 Shed 31B March

Last Shed 30A Stratford

Withdrawn 31/03/1960

Disposal details Stratford Works (B.R.)

Disposal Date30/04/1960

Notes Rebuilt from Class J16 in 1920s

Class Information

Introduced 1902. J Holden GER design, since superheated.
Many locos rebuilt from round-topped boiler J16, introduced 1900.
(a) Fitted with small tender.
(65500/1/3-6/11/3/4/6-9/32/43 fitted with large tender by BR.
(b) Fitted with tender-cab by BR. (c) = (a) and (b).

Weight:
Loco 45 tons 8 cwt Driving Wheel: 4' 11"
Tender 38 tons 5 cwt

Boil Press: 180lb/sq in Su
30 tons 12 cwt (a)
Cylinders: Valve Gear: Stephenson (slide valves)
Two 19" x 26" (inside) TE: 24,340 lb

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 11

15 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Number 65555

2nd Grouping Number lner 5555

1st Grouping Number lner 5555

2nd Pre Grouping Number

1st Pre Grouping Number

Works/Lot Number

Class Code J17

Designer Holden J

Designation 0-6-0

Built 31/01/1903

Builder Stratford Works (LNER)

1948 Shed31B March

Last Shed30A Stratford

Withdrawn31/03/1960

Disposal detailsStratford Works (B.R.)

Disposal

Disposal Date30/04/1960

NotesRebuilt from Class J16 in 1920s

Class Information

Introduced 1902. J Holden GER design, since superheated.
Many locos rebuilt from round-topped boiler J16, introduced 1900.
(a) Fitted with small tender.
(65500/1/3-6/11/3/4/6-9/32/43 fitted with large tender by BR.
(b) Fitted with tender-cab by BR. (c) = (a) and (b).

Weight:
Loco 45 tons 8 cwt Driving Wheel: 4' 11"
Tend 38 tons 5 cwt Boil Press: 180lb/sq in Su
30 tons 12 cwt (a)
Cylinders: Valve Gear: Stephenson (slide valves)
Two 19" x 26" (inside) TE: 24,340 lb

Wow that was quick. No definitely not that one.  Actually the loco that has ‘claimed’ the 5s is J11 5954.

Regards RObert 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Reportedly, Ian Holm (Ash the Weyland-Yutani Corporation android and older Bilbo Baggins, not to mention many other notable roles) has passed away at 88.

And Frodo in the BBc radio production

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

56 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

To then PM May:

Before meeting with Vlad.

Allegedly. We could go on all day.

But I am misbehaving and shouldn't mention such things here or anywhere.

According to Michael Flanders "a hippopotamus is no ignoramus" but I suppose there has to be one exception that proves the rule.

• Funny 14