The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, bbishop said:

This could just be a couple of idiots visiting their country cottage a fortnight ago.  Bill

Indeed it could and it could equally be a "workplace cluster" picked up with more intensive testing.  That is one reason behind the intention to lock down specific locations because it isolates the cluster without affecting the recovery of the overall region and population.  

If these figures relate to the chicken-processing plant featured in the news then I believe that has already been closed for 14 days with staff required to self-isolate.  

There will probably be other local spikes.  There might yet be spikes related to the massed gatherings on beaches which occurred last month and again early this month; there might be spikes among those attending the many protest rallies.  But the overall picture is looking much better with the virus seemingly in retreat and both the infection and mortality rates dropping.  The number of infections known has levelled out for now but that is probably a factor of a more rigorous testing regime and a little contact-tracing now in place.  What is encouraging is that with those regimes, so more people than ever being checked, the rate hasn't gone back up.  We are probably seeing a truer picture of the numbers infected and the rate of spread is still reducing.  

Is it me or has the world gone silent on this R-number statistic of late?  I understand that it may be of less import now that infection rates are lower and that it can actually rise when the numbers locally are extremely small giving a false sense of doom.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... I rest my case.:biggrin_mini2:

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Yes, Perry. :o

6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Who’s Perry?:biggrin_mini:

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Before I answer, let's see if anyone else picks up on it. 

6 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Mason? 

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Yes, your Honor,

Yes, to clear it all up, the Perry Mason tv show (1957 > 1966) about an attorney played by Raymond Burr based on a series of novels by Erle Stanley Gardner. Burr went on to appear in another lawyer series called Ironside (1967 > 1975).

Not to forget and somewhat late:

Happy anniversary Adit andTony.

Baz and Chris, hope all y'all are both feeling better soon.

Andy, glad to see you back online.

11 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

Going to be wet for a while yet I think

BE7311A1-075A-49CC-89BC-EA94A7195FD6.jpeg

I remember a few of those over where I lived in southeast Florida, but there was a lot swirling going on; sometimes to the tune of better than 75 mph. :o

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Page 8750, does that number remind you of anything?:nono:

50 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Pannier tank?

Brian.

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

New style cabs

picard-facepalm.jpg.88cc21e9137c9e34d9d1ea4639c17f71.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

By one of those coincidences  Aditi was telling me that Perry Mason was going to be on the television again but not Raymond Burr repeats but a new programme about his early cases. On Sky Atlantic,

Thank you for all the anniversary greetings. We had a fairly quiet day. We had a pleasant dinner, duck, potatoes done in a sort of style we had in the Dordogne and assorted vegetables. Ice cream and rhubarb (picked today) crumble. Instead of watching a play streamed on YouTube we watched an episode of Young Montalbano recorded recently. 

I am glad Chris 116 was sent home with a good result. Last year I happily assumed my chest discomfort was indigestion and I was wrong. All the doctors have said they prefer to see people and rule out heart problems . I ended up at the GP eventually due to breathlessness not the chest pain on holiday.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Is this evidence of stockpiling? :jester:

Not really - just the baking of a considerable number of loaves of bread;  I think it's three so far this week.   And very nice too plus it makes far nicer toast than the shop bought bread from Tesco or Waitrose (we do have a baker in the town but they are somewhat on the pricey side especially when you consider how much it costs to make a loaf of bread.  But we do have over 100 toilet rolls in stock - but that is a consequence of our long established practice of buying them when they are on special offer ;) 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back to Andy P. I await the next layout project.

Another busy day at the workplace. 

The unusual (amusing and perplexing) calls and emails continue.

But at least some of the backlog is becoming less backlogged.

I will attempt a minor POETS tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Have a good Friday folks

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not really - just the baking of a considerable number of loaves of bread;  I think it's three so far this week.   And very nice too plus it makes far nicer toast than the shop bought bread from Tesco or Waitrose (we do have a baker in the town but they are somewhat on the pricey side especially when you consider how much it costs to make a loaf of bread.  But we do have over 100 toilet rolls in stock - but that is a consequence of our long established practice of buying them when they are on special offer ;) 

The $64,000 question is, does it make a good bread pudding?:jester:

• Like 4
  • Funny 13