The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

23 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Snow tyres have to be off in March here! By law!!  'They" don't want you tearing up the street

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Only if they have metal studs.

And they really do tear up the streets.

Before some 2008 TARP money was used to do road repairs on I5, there was a local hill where the channels cut by metal studded snow tyres were so deep that the small car I drove at the time would hydroplane going up the hill when it rained heavily. I had to drive to one side of the lane to retain traction.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Snow tyres have to be off in March here! By law!!  'They" don't want you tearing up the street

Brian.

These are a different rubber compound for cold (cold for here below 7C, that is 7 not -7). The tread pattern also grabs at snow. There are no studs. If you leave them on in warm weather the rubber wears quicker than regular tyres. In three months the car has only been down to the pharmacy twice and over to Canvey for our blood tests. Tyre wear isn’t going to be an issue for Aditi’s car.
My car has reinforced Mud and Snow rated tyres suitable for 168 mph. Though I don’t think one would be doing high speed on mud or snow. Anyway my car can’t do 168mph. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

And they really do tear up the streets.

Before some 2008 TARP money was used to do road repairs on I5, there was a local hill where the channels cut by metal studded snow tyres were so deep that the small car I drove at the time would hydroplane going up the hill when it rained heavily. I had to drive to one side of the lane to retain traction.

At one time the A12 road heading towards the Essex coast ports seemed to have grooves worn just by the heavy lorry traffic. You could aquaplane uphill there too. Possibly modern tyres shift water better and perhaps harder wearing road surfaces too now as I don’t notice it. Not that I am going anywhere at present.  
Tony

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A walk round the village then two episodes of the 'Salisbury Poisonings " rounded off the evening. 

Best thing I've seen on telly for ages.  I wonder where the father and daughter are hiding out now?

12 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The other shoe next door finally dropped as they've applied to make their less than above board construction/conversion into a 6 room HMO. Sadly our useless asshat invested council isn't likely to deny their license. We'd have to prove the company that owns the property is not a fit landlord. We are going to try though. The neighbour on the other side is looking at civil action under the party wall act and to object to the extension under "right to light" since it blocks direct light to 2 of their windows and back door. Stay tuned.

Ok, got it - HMO = houses in multiple occupation.   Am I right in thinking that any works involving the party wall means the neighbour will have to arrange a party wall agreement at their expense, and the owners of any adjoining properties are entitled to appoint independent professionals (structural engineers etc.) to look after their (i.e. your) own interests, for which the neighbour has to foot the bill?

If it goes ahead, get a load of mates to move in.  Then they stop paying the rent, get evicted after lots of legal wrangling (taking 6 months+) and trash the place on the way out.  Happy days.

5 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I used to be more scared of electrics but an electrician told me that if the electrics blow, they'll just turn off.

Or catch fire....

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Best thing I've seen on telly for ages.  I wonder where the father and daughter are hiding out now?

Just watched part 3 which was just as good, though a storm last night disrupted freesat for a bit. Very interesting that the lady public health officer is now deputy director for the whole south west she will have had a very busy few months.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

I got sidetracked then....oops..... meant to post hours ago.

iD, when we shipped abroad, it was 'at cost', but any warranty returns would be at our cost both ways.  When it may be a 7kg live steam loco, things get silly expensive very quickly.  We once had some coaches (G Scale bogie coaches) warranty returned from New Zealand - that smarted.  Easy to make the decision after that!

28 days covid free here today, declared 'locally eliminated'.  Borders remain closed.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

Evening awl,

Just had something a bit startling happen during a steam test on my Q1 (not the Southern engine). The pictures are of the setup I talk about. Catastrophic Pipe Failure, was the name of the game. Essentially the silicone tube from the engine to maine steam feed got lazy and decided it didn’t want to carry steam any more, so took a vacation. This caused steam to go whooshing out all over my desk and half my room, but it did clear out all the crud inside the boiler. Luckily neither me nor the boiler is hurt. I got a new high-tensile steel wire in my mouth today, only the top one had to be replaced. The pain hasn’t set in yet, but will arrive in force over night, or might not, you never no with braces. Been listening to a great Irish folk band called The Gloaming, would highly recommend it. The oscillator is still in NYC, so nothing new there, beginning to the nerve to call them. Just learned my 8th grade graduation has been cancelled which is disappointing, but it’s for the greater good so I won’t complain. 

stay healthy and best wishes to Baz,

Douglas

BB6EF9D3-219C-4164-9A7A-F1CDEA19C4A4.jpeg

C2F71A39-B991-4B22-8815-AD854BF4BFE6.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

...snip...The road was closed for two days after that while the flood subsided and the rocks - for rocks they were - were removed along with many tons of soil and debris. ...snip...

And bus parts! :yahoo_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Presuming you mean BB-3, a sad end as an ammunition barge in the second world war before being broken up.

The foremast is installed at Tom McCall park alongside the Willamette River (where in the 1930s the Oregon was moored as a museum ship) in downtown Portland. The funnels also exist but are not on display.

BB-3 just docked here; well, the pieces did although I no longer have the skills to assemble the Glencoe Models kit :( . I almost want to cut the cover art out and frame it; I think that she is firing at the Spanish fleet in Santiago Bay. Her engineering claim to fame was a 14000 mile run from the Pacific to the Caribbean to participate in the Spanish-American War. A lot of the run was at full power, an amazing feat at that time of coal-fired ships.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

You have now learned that live steam models have a dark side and are never to be trusted.

I'd suggest you get some proper pipe cones and unions and make some solder connections between the cylinder unit(s) and boiler(s) a in order to operate your steam engines safely.

Steam engines can and will bite: whether it is a jet of steam from a pipe as you have already found out about, or perhaps getting your face over the boiler when the safety valve lifts.

It might not be much at the moment as the boilers you have are very much designed with children in mind. You are looking at working pressures of about 20 psi which is not much above atmospheric pressure.  Double the pressure and you will find that  steam at 40 psi a lot less forgiving.  Without wishing to sound gruesome, a stream of live steam from a large high pressure boiler (in excess of 100psi) will turn any skin it contacts to the consistency of a well boiled onion.

Live steam can produce some quite nasty scalds (wet burns).  The fires, whether they are generated by gas, spirit or coal can and will give you quite serious burns if you drop your guard.

They will also bite you physically if you manage to get your fingers stuck in any of the twirly bits.

Be careful, because although steam engines are wonderful machines, they can also be very unforgiving if given the slightest opportunity.

Indeed they are sir, and I have had my fair share of such encounters (with wet steam). Everything you see in the pictures above is completely temporary, and will be fully steam tight as soon the new regulator valve arrives. I’ve heard about those burns, apparently when working on a new or recently recommissioned marine engine it is best to walk with a broom held in front of you. This will go flying out of your hand when you hit a leak, and then you mark the offending area with something. Learned that from a book I have by Daniel Kinnear Clark, I believe he was with the Highland Railway for much of the 1870s. The book is called “A Treatise on the Steam Engine” (Blackie & Son Ltd 1893) I have volume four, I believe there are six. It has many large drawings of engines and descriptions. Ranging from diminutive fair ground vertical engines, to Midland Rly Johnson 4-4-0’s to triple expansion engines for the S.S. Coot, and even has a large fold out illustrated page of the boiler arrangement for HMS Renown. 

below is the engine for the SS Coot and a Johnson 4-4-0.

CA820F77-6977-43B3-8AC6-DA8DA51002A6.jpeg

7DE50FF4-D1B1-492D-9794-6747A75F1731.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Indeed. Steam is even more dangerous than boiling water. When steam condenses on something (hopefully not your skin) it releases an enormous amount of energy (latent heat). The stuff you can see as vapor isn't too bad as it has already condensed and released its energy to the atmosphere. It's the invisible steam gas that is really dangerous.

We had a steam leak in its gaseous form at one of the refineries on the river a few months ago. There was just a white cloud sitting above the refinery, tapering down towards it. You couldn’t actually see where it came from, because the steam was transparent, I would hate to imagine what would have happened had someone walked into it. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 12